Where to take a lesson while in Vegas ?

GMascelli

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
GaryM
The bride and I are getting ready for our trip to Vegas and I was wondering if I should take a lesson while out there. Any ideas/suggestions would be welcome. We will be in Vegas from Sunady morning the 30th through friday the 4th.

Gary:

I usually fly into North Las Vegas (VGT). It's a pretty busy GA airport north of the city. Airnav lists two flight schools there. I'll bet you could make a couple calls and arrange something. There are a couple other airports around, but that's where I recommend you start. Look at Airnav for surrounding airports if you don't like what you find at VGT. Of course, LAS is the large airport where the commercial guys land; I'd recommend elsewhere. There are a couple other choices.

Dave

Henderson (HND) is really the only other alternative besides N. Las Vegas.
Both airports have flight schools and rent. I have not rented from either one before so I cant help you there.

GMascelli said:
The bride and I are getting ready for our trip to Vegas and I was wondering if I should take a lesson while out there. Any ideas/suggestions would be welcome. We will be in Vegas from Sunady morning the 30th through friday the 4th.

You have 2/3 places to do it. The other is Boulder City (near Hoover Dam). Nice little airport with several runways and near some terrific scenery without the air traffic concerns of LV.

Thanks all for the info....

I checked into North Las Vegas and have the info, I'll call from work today and dig a bit deeper. I will also check airnav for Henderson and Boulder. Boulder City sounds like what I'm looking for. A bit out of the way and some great scenery.

LAS is the large airport where the commercial guys land; I'd recommend elsewhere.

um.....NO, I dont want any big iron :eek: to deal with, not enough hours in the book and I don't want that stress while on vacation!;) I'm just a newbie!:D

Gary:

North Las Vegas can be crazy busy also. It's right next to or under the LAS Class B; so, I'd check out the other places as well if you're worried about traffic. With a CFI it may not be bad, but definitely busy.

Dave

Dave, Thanks for the heads up! I haven't spent much time away from KMIV - KWWD or N99 so rather fly with my instructor for the new challenges :)

Elizabeth, I'll post what I find out today. We are going to do the typical tours and Mary wanted to do the 3 hour helicopter tour and brunch at the canyon. I wanted to get a lesson in if I can but would even consider a sightseeing tour (would rather the lesson). Any interest in flying/renting ? I'm only 17 hours in the book so rental is not an option for me......this trip.....but would gladly split the trip just to get in the air.:goofy:

Ok back to work for me...check back this afternoon.

GMascelli said:
Dave, Thanks for the heads up! I haven't spent much time away from KMIV - KWWD or N99 so rather fly with my instructor for the new challenges :)

Elizabeth, I'll post what I find out today. We are going to do the typical tours and Mary wanted to do the 3 hour helicopter tour and brunch at the canyon. I wanted to get a lesson in if I can but would even consider a sightseeing tour (would rather the lesson). Any interest in flying/renting ? I'm only 17 hours in the book so rental is not an option for me......this trip.....but would gladly split the trip just to get in the air.:goofy:

Ok back to work for me...check back this afternoon.

hey Gary, I'm not ticketed yet either! plus my trip is in December - sorry, guess that wasn't clear.

but definitely get up there. I took a lesson in Squamish (glacier flying! too cool!) this past summer on vacation and on my last day of that trip Dave here on POA was very kind and took me up over some more mountains - the Cascades - I actually added Seattle onto my trip to both hang out with him that day and also see the Boeing Museum of Flight - highly recommend it!

you won't regret it.

Bruce, I would be loving it !!! But I can't forget the Bride, I don't want to leave her on the ground and there is NOWAY she would go for that. :rofl: I will stop over there Thursday on our "free" day with no real plans. Maybe I'll get it done.

Elizabeth, I contacted West Air Aviation. They are the only Cessna Pilot Center around for miles. I guess I will get to know towered airports sooner then I thought. I talked to Jason the Chief Pilot and I passed on the pure lesson, only for not wanting to torture Mary with steep bank turns, stalls and multiple landings. No need to destroy her supportive position so early on. We are going to take a sight seeing tour and we will fly with an instructor and I can log time. Guess I should brush up on class B airspace and communications with ATC. :yes:

The folks I talked to were very helpful and answered all questions. They also provided some info for the trip from the Bellagio to the airport, 8 miles and figure about 20 minutes by cab due to traffic. The web page is www.westairaviation.com

I'll take plenty of pictures! We booked a 2002 Cessna 172 - N975TA

Last edited:
Gary:

When I fly in there, it's not uncommon for them to put me right over the strip coming up from the south (put me over the approach end of LAS and fly me right up the strip to the north.) Last trip, my son was in back and said, "Dad, look at the big swimming pool!" Of course that was the pool out in front of Bellagio!! My point is, you may be able to fly right over the strip pretty low and take some good pics as well as get a great visual of how the city lays out and where things are!! It's Class B, but they do that pretty often.

Hope you have a GREAT flight!

Dave

Mary and I did in fact fly out of North Las Vegas last Monday and had a blast. It was a demo/lesson flight with an instructor. My first time in Class B.....it was a hoot! I don’t remember if there were more helicopters or jets in the air. Did the fly over Hoover Dam and Lake Mead, took plenty of pictures and had a real nice landing on return. It was my Brides first time in the air with me.
West Air was fantastic! We flew out in a 2002 Cessna 172SP. Preflight no squawks, and saddled up for a fun trip. There was a lot of activity with all the "vision Air" and "scenic air" flights. I taxied out and made my way to the run up area to complete the pre flight checklist. I was No. 2 behind a twin and then had to hold for another on final. Finally cleared for take off. No cross winds!!!!! Niiiiiiice.....what a welcome change. We're off smooth as can be and maintaining a heading for noise abatement. Turning back to fly through the class B in a designated area, following the arrows (chart) and plan as discussed prior to departure I note the Stratosphere at the end of the Vegas strip and head just to the right of it. From that point I picked up Lava Butte and turned to a heading to take me to the right of it and almost in line with Lake Mead. On to the Hoover Dam and surrounding area. Head is on a swivel and Mike (Instructor) comments that he likes what he sees in clearing for traffic calling out my actions to him and gentle hands and feet. He commented nice coordinated flight in a busy place. I'm thinking this cant be brick feet Mascelli he's talking about :rolleyes: . but it was! We eventually made our way back to VGT and I entered the pattern. Caught hell from the tower for switching back to squawk 1200 prior to his call but responded understood, and that we were directed to squawk 1200 when we entered the pattern. He checked, confirmed and said we should not have been given that info He then asked us to extend downwind and that he would call out our base turn. We confirmed and when instructed turned base then final and really nailed a nice landing.
Mary was really impressed and that really made my day! Busy unpacking today but I will post some info and pictures tomorrow.

Last edited:
Back