where to stay at Times Square

stapler101

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
stapler101
We will be in nyc june 4-8 and want to stay at or near Times Square.
The # of hotel choices are staggering!
I need some advice as to which hotel to stay at.
I see prices from 200 per night to 1000 + per night.
I want inexpensive but safe and clean.
Any suggestions appreciated.
PS= The Muse is our current choice @ about 1100 for the 4 nights.

Also, after leaving nyc we have 3 nights in DC. We want to stay near the tourist stuff or stay where easy transportation is availible.
Once again, reasonable price but safe and clean.

thanks!

When my wife and I went to NYC last May, we stayed at Mayfair New York Hotel. At the time, it was $125/night. It wasn't a super-nice hotel with tons of amenities, but we never felt unsafe or anything like that - just not very 'luxurious'. The room was extremely small, but we were there for the city, not the hotel. We were also both in college at the time, so we were *very* budget minded. ;)

It was good enough for us, and only a few blocks from Times Square. I'm not sure about their rates now - at the time, they were remodeling the lobby, so that might have been the reason for the cheap rates.

The Warwick. Not quite Times Square: 6th and 54th. It used to be a great value but I haven't stayed there in 20 years now.....

-Skip

Warwick is great. For biz trips I usually stay a few blocks away at the Hilton. Corp rate is under 300 bucks a night, not sure what you'd pay on the internet/expedia.

I've also stayed at the Michelangelo (personal trip). That's not far away from the above either. Also under 300 bucks a night.

Depending on your tolerance for risk and the time of year you might try Priceline.

I've stayed at the Courtyard Times Square South (not through Priceline) for around $200 - $250 a night. Decent hotel, good room, convenient.

I also stayed at the Waldorf Astoria on a great Priceline rate one time (under $200). YMMV

Manhattan is a pretty safe place so long as you stay south of 96th St. Times Square is going to be high priced. I'd focus on price more than anything - you'll be in NYC, do you really want to spend time in your hotel room other than to sleep?

We will be in nyc june 4-8 and want to stay at or near Times Square.
The # of hotel choices are staggering!
I need some advice as to which hotel to stay at.
I see prices from 200 per night to 1000 + per night.
I want inexpensive but safe and clean.
Any suggestions appreciated.
PS= The Muse is our current choice @ about 1100 for the 4 nights.

Also, after leaving nyc we have 3 nights in DC. We want to stay near the tourist stuff or stay where easy transportation is availible.
Once again, reasonable price but safe and clean.

thanks!
Inexpensive in NYC is a relative term. What is inexpensive there is what people are paying for 5-star treatment elsewhere. Our corporate deal with with the Hilton in TS and people like it a lot.

Anyone like the Marriott East Side - 49th and Lex?
Been there a few times. Always happy.

But what I've really liked the last few times was to stay on the NJ side of the river and take the water taxi across. The ride is fun, and the hotel cost is less (and the Sheraton has some rooms with a great view).

If you're driving in the savings in parking alone are worth it. If you're flying in on an airline, not so compelling.

Going to see the NY version of Blue Man Group is sooooo worth it.

We stayed at the Milford Plaza this past summer. It is one block from Times Square. It is an older hotel in the middle of a renovation, but I think we paid less than $150 a night. We felt safe and it was very convenient.

Been there a few times. Always happy.

But what I've really liked the last few times was to stay on the NJ side of the river and take the water taxi across. The ride is fun, and the hotel cost is less (and the Sheraton has some rooms with a great view).

If you're driving in the savings in parking alone are worth it. If you're flying in on an airline, not so compelling.
Agree with the NJ idea. Every time we go to the city that's where we stay. Never did the water taxi, though, always the train; I like the water taxi idea better. And you've always got Newark (God forbid) if you're airlineing in.

Back