Where to start? Need Advice.

5QK

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
5QK
I have a 182q model with all original avionics. Looking to do a little nav updates, but am getting confused.

I use a portable gps, or my tablet with navigator or FF.

I would like to get a g5 and some sort of gps and adsb in and out. Would also be nice if I could couple into 300a autopilot.

I just am getting lost trying to figure out what I need or could get by with minimal investment.

Any great ideas out there?

Who knows, what are you planning on using the plane for?

Vfr, some nights, some 3 to 4 hour xc. Just looking to start the upgrade process. It's long overdue.
AI is starting some erroneous readings, so rather than repair, I thought the g5 would be a good place to start. It's just all so new to me I'm having a hard time getting it all sorted out.

If you're just VFR then your tablet with FF is cheaper than anything else.

If you want an IFR GPS unit then I'll point you in the same direction that everyone pointed me. Get a Garmin GTN 650. New isn't that much more than used. Installation will cost about as much as the unit itself. About $16,000 installed was the last price I got. I believe it works with your autopilot but not sure. I know it couples with the G5 but I'm no expert. You can then use the 650 as your ADS-B GPS source. I'm not sure what else you might need for ADS-B. Good luck!

That's way beyond price range.
What GPS setup works or feeds the g5?
I guess all I would then need to worry about for awhile is the ADS-B if I use my tablet and get a g5.

I guess all I would then need to worry about for awhile is the ADS-B if I use my tablet and get a g5.

That's the same conclusion we came to as well. I don't have a recommendation on ADS-B. We've decided to hold off and see what happens. So far, the ADS-B price has dropped from $5000 to $2000. My guess is it will keep going down.

FYI, your FF can send a wireless signal to the G5 and use it as a heading bug.

That's what it'll cost to get a GPS to feed your AP. The rest of your request is significantly cheaper. It seems like GTX345 (with internal GPS) installs for ADSB in/out quotes are running in the $6-7k all-in. It's possible to go cheaper, but there's a well established brand that's less likely to have an AD ground all of their units for some time.

I have a 182q model with all original avionics. Looking to do a little nav updates, but am getting confused.

I use a portable gps, or my tablet with navigator or FF.

I would like to get a g5 and some sort of gps and adsb in and out. Would also be nice if I could couple into 300a autopilot.

I just am getting lost trying to figure out what I need or could get by with minimal investment.

Any great ideas out there?

You are talking about a serious money upgrade! Well North of 25 AMUs! You are talking about adding a GPS navigator, ADS-B transponder, and a G5. And integrating everything together, and with your ancient autopilot too.

I would try REAL hard to attend Oshkosh, or at the very least follow the event very closely for new product announcements.

Vfr, some nights, some 3 to 4 hour xc. Just looking to start the upgrade process. It's long overdue.
AI is starting some erroneous readings, so rather than repair, I thought the g5 would be a good place to start. It's just all so new to me I'm having a hard time getting it all sorted out.

Just send that AI out for a $300 overhaul, clean the panel up removing anything like old lorans and the like, plane plastics for cosmetics, get foreflight on a iPad and build a wifi ADSB box for it, and call it a day.

For your flying you will get far more for G5 purchase + INSTALL level money if you spend that money on avgas or advanced training or any other deferred mx on the 182.

The only tech thing I'd add to a VFR 182 would be a engine analyser and some LED or HID landing lights if you haven't already.

For a VFR plane, keep her simple, keep her LIGHT and keep her maintained.

Now that's the best advice I've heard in a long time!

James331, you seem very intelligent and experienced.

I think you may have a very very good argument.

Just get to looking at all of the bells and whistles and get to dreaming.

The plane is an absolute cherry, 9.5, so not much need for cosmetics.

I do have the A/P servo sent off to be looked at. If that comes back cost prohibited, what are some good options.? I have the Loran out with just the empty tray being used as a cell phone holder. Would like to build a little face plate with 12v charger and a few USB ports for power. Has anyone ever seen something like this?

I really appreciate the comments so far. Thank you.

Well, I'm new here. I'll be more careful ITF.
Lol

ADSB out requires a WAAS GPS signal. A newer IFR GPS will have WAAS and you can use that signal (and the GPS's antenna) to feed the ADSB transponder. If you dont have that, you will need an ADSB that has built in WAAS GPS and you will need a WAAS antenna for it. IFR GPS requires connection to a VOR head or similar. So you will need one of those too.

Avionics are EXPENSIVE. You could easily spend 20k on an IFR GPS with WAAS and an ADSB transponder. MIght get it done for less if you use a used Garmin 430 WAAS and and ADSB transponder, but its still going to be costly. (more than 10k)

ADSB out requires a WAAS GPS signal. A newer IFR GPS will have WAAS and you can use that signal (and the GPS's antenna) to feed the ADSB transponder. If you dont have that, you will need an ADSB that has built in WAAS GPS and you will need a WAAS antenna for it. IFR GPS requires connection to a VOR head or similar. So you will need one of those too.

Avionics are EXPENSIVE. You could easily spend 20k on an IFR GPS with WAAS and an ADSB transponder. MIght get it done for less if you use a used Garmin 430 WAAS and and ADSB transponder, but its still going to be costly. (more than 10k)

Depending if the ADSB thing even applies to you, navworx has a all in one for like 2k

Back