Where to rent C172 or similar around New York area?

Skipping Classes

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Skipping Lessons
Gentlemen,

I am an airline pilot from Europe and new to this forum, so my apologies if I am posting in a wrong place.

I'm going to NYC 16th - 27th of March with two friends of mine who would like to learn flying and we would like to rent a C172 or similar to take it down to Florida and fly back - that is about 20 - 30 hours in 10 days.

We'd like to find a good deal and a nice airplane and especially people easy to work with in case of any problems.

Any suggestions?

Sincerely,

SC

SC,
There were a few rental places mentioned in this thread:
http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47725

Are you looking for a G1000 172 or steam gauge, or does it matter? And if you'll be taking it for 10 days, are you willing to travel a few hours to get the plane if you can save a bit of money, or are you looking to get it in the immediate NYC area (Long Island/Westchester/Newark area)? You can likely find a better deal if you're willing to go a few hours outside of NYC, and you'll find a plane that's underutilized that the owner might be looking to rent.

I have rented from two places at KFRG (45mins from NYC) and have had positive experiences, but the rates are on the higher side and it's unlikely you could take one for 10 days.

If you end up looking near Philadelphia I can refer you to a few places 2- 2.5 hours from nyc. If you're taking the plane for week or two it may be worth going out of your way.

Gentlemen,

Thank you for your references. A few hours drive from NYC is not a problem at all, so please do let me know where I should be looking!

Regards,

SC

Unless you have USA passports there is another issue you need to deal with, one that may restrict or even eliminate your adventure. Welcome to the TSA and its rules involving flight schools and airplane rentals.

Unless you have USA passports there is another issue you need to deal with, one that may restrict or even eliminate your adventure. Welcome to the TSA and its rules involving flight schools and airplane rentals.

I know the TSA restricts flight TRAINING of foreign nationals (additional background checks required), but what about RENTING to properly licensed foreign nationals?

but what about RENTING to properly licensed foreign nationals?
There is absolutely NO problem with that. A friend of mine, an ATP from Europe had no problem renting a 172 for his tour of Utah/canyons, etc. (after 9/11) He was surprised how easy it was, they did not even check him out, he only showed his ATP license, logbooks and passport.

Last edited:
Back