Where to rent around Atlanta

BartY

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Bart
Hi guys...

I've been lurking for the past couple of months and it looks like after about a 6 year hiatus, I'm finally going to be able to get in a little flight time again. I have looked around at a few places in the area, and the rental and instructor rates are enough to make me faint compared to what I was used to paying 6 years ago. For the time being, I'm really only going to try to get current again so I can go for a spin on a nice flying day. Finishing the IR is going to be on hold until I see if I get picked up by the FAA or not.

I'm really looking to see if there are still any flying clubs that aren't associated with a flight school around town, particularly within about a 45 minute drive of Cobb County.

While we're on topic, what are considered to be normal instructor rates these days? I see the prices vary wildly, from $30-50/hr just for basic instruction. When I was working on my instrument ticket, I was accustomed to paying about $25/hr for instrument instruction. $50/hr just seems to be a bit out there to me, that's just a few bucks short of what I paid for a 150 wet...

Last edited:
You might PM Mitch (Maddog52) on here and ask his opinion. He works at McCollum.

There are a few schools at RYY and there's one cheap rental there at FTY. They are located in the old building but I don't recall the names.

The only places I flew out of back there were GVL and PDK.

Thanks Ken.

I flew out of Peachtree Flight Center (now Falcon Aviation Academy) at FFC and Sky's Flying Club at CCO when I was flying last back in 2002. That was back when they both still had some inexpensive aircraft you could just go put around in for a couple of hours without racking up a $200+ bill in one day.

Back