Where to put the oxygen cylinder?

AlphaWhiskey

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
AlphaWhiskey
I'm thinking of trying oxygen for an upcoming trip from PA to FL. My Piper Lance's center console was long gone before I bought the plane.
For folks who use portable oxygen, where do you keep the oxygen cylinder so it doesn't become a portable missile in the cockpit but you can still access the regulator?
Thanks in advance!

I have one of the soft cases that is strapped to the back left seat of the cherokee, with the seat belt run thru the handle for extra safety. This means you can reach the on-off knob from the pilot seat. The downside is having the little tubing from the tank to you stretches across the back seat to the front. I have Y shoulder harness so I run the tubing thru the top of the Y. This keeps it out of the way and off the floor.

I really don't want the tank,in the front. If I get out to the airport in the next day or so, will take photos.

I'm thinking of trying oxygen for an upcoming trip from PA to FL. My Piper Lance's center console was long gone before I bought the plane.
For folks who use portable oxygen, where do you keep the oxygen cylinder so it doesn't become a portable missile in the cockpit but you can still access the regulator?
Thanks in advance!
Where you put it isn't as important as how well you secure it. Best option is a bottle bag with straps to attach to a seatback. Baring that you could take some cinchable tiedown straps and anchor it to the legs of a seat.

Most people attach it to the back of the seat. The bag system seems to work best.

I've seen strappy things to hold it to the back of the seat, but frankly mine wedges well between the front seats so that's where it sits.

I've seen strappy things to hold it to the back of the seat, but frankly mine wedges well between the front seats so that's where it sits.

Flap handle in the way between the seats on most of the pipers.

In my RV-6 I've been just strapping it into the copilot's seat with the seat belts along with my soft-sided duffle bag luggage, but I intend to fabricate brackets to mount it in the baggage compartment behind the front seats where I can easily reach the valve in flight.

I'd pass on sucking on o2 for prolonged periods, just not my idea of a good time. Be sure you choose between a cannula or mask based on altitude.

I'm sure your pax will love it :nonod:

I'd pass on sucking on o2 for prolonged periods, just not my idea of a good time. Be sure you choose between a cannula or mask based on altitude.

Please explain the problem of long O2 use.

Please explain the problem of long O2 use.

Same as long term jock strap use, just isn't comfortable, and not my idea of a good time.

Never been a fan of having plastic wedged up my nose, or breathing into a clear plastic mask, and try asking a attractive girl to cram a canola up her nose.

If I'm in that much of a hurry or need that level of economy I'll just book a ticket on Alaska or Virgin. For un pressurized planes I'd rather be down lower anyway, taking in the views.

We even had a dude at my old home drome that wore a nomex suit every time he went flying, whatever peals your banana I spose, just won't see me doing it.

But hey, everyone's gotta experience it for themselves.

Thanks in advance!

Seat back.

Dried out nostrils is way preferable to being hypoxic.

Thanks in advance!
Just curious, but did the Lance originally have a center console housing an O2 bottle? That's what I fabricated for my RV10 (works quite well btw) but I didn't know if any production aircraft used the same solution.

I'm sure your pax will love it :nonod:
Practically speaking for an east coast flier, I often use O2 going back and forth to FL. Specifically when the winds favor it.

My passenger rarely or ever gets it, she just sleeps. For me favorable winds will drive me to and from 12k-14k from my normal cruise of 9k-11k. That kind of cruising is best with some supplemental O2 available. I carry one of those thumb measurement thingies to check but usually find that 5 mins on it before descents or an occasional session mid-cruise is refreshing for my brain. And if ice or something requires the altitude for an extended period, it's required but that might happen only very rarely.

Any of that beats the pressurized spam can and it's inhabitants doing the FL shuttle. :yes:

I would add these considerations. Mount the bottle where you cn see the gauge. you need to keep track of the remaining pressure. You also want to have access to the valve to turn it off and on. If you land and put the airplane away leaving the valve open you won't have any O2 on your next flight.

I would add these considerations. Mount the bottle where you cn see the gauge. you need to keep track of the remaining pressure. You also want to have access to the valve to turn it off and on. If you land and put the airplane away leaving the valve open you won't have any O2 on your next flight.
:yes:

We have the long, thin bottles (~3 ft long). I lay it down between the seats, with the bottom tucked under the rear seat (182). This places the regulators right between the front seats on the floor. Tank is strapped tight around the bottle neck to the middle vertical bracket for the rear seat so it can't move forward.

Thanks for the thoughts all. I'll be flying on my own so no worries about passengers. I asked for exactly the reason of wanting it all accessible to monitor. As per the original post the center console is long gone. There is a replacement for $925 but I thought I'd look at other options too.

Thanks for the thoughts all. I'll be flying on my own so no worries about passengers. I asked for exactly the reason of wanting it all accessible to monitor. As per the original post the center console is long gone. There is a replacement for $925 but I thought I'd look at other options too.
Just curious: You flying checks or something? Why would you be flying a Lance all by yourself?

Just curious: You flying checks or something? Why would you be flying a Lance all by yourself?
Why wouldn't he. I often fly a Baron all by myself. I know more than one owner/pilot who flies a Baron all by himself and one who sometimes flies a Cessna Mustang that way.

When you own the airplane and want to travel solo it's not usually practical to rent something smaller.

Same reason I used to commute to work in a pickup. I had it for the few times I needed the cargo space and it didn't make sense to own multiple cars.

Of course, now I commute to work by walking down the stairs and I drive solely on electricity for most trips.

I was interpreting his post as meaning he always flew alone. My bad -- it's just for a conference.

Back