Where to park. (NE)

Flymeariver

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Justin
I'm flying commercial out of IAD to LAX in October for a 3 day trip.
Pondering flying the Skyhawk up from the house instead of driving but can't decide where to park her.

IAD- $35 handling, $8 landing, $30/day parking
JYO- $14/day parking plus $45 each way taxi
HEF- $10/day parking plus $51 each way taxi

Any thoughts where y'all would go? How hard is IAD to get in/out of ? Will be IFR.

Last edited:
No ground transportation expense at IAD? Where are you going?

Assuming you are talking about two nights parking it looks like IAD is actually the cheapest when you add up all of the costs you mentioned at $106 (vs $118 for JYO and $122 for HEF). Personally between the cost and time savings I think it's a no-brainer and I would fly into IAD. Flying IFR into a big airport is good experience, too. I have not flown into IAD specifically but PHL, MEM, and a number of other large airports.

You didn't mention fuel, but this might be a factor too (or reduced/waived "handling/ramp" fee with minimum fuel purchase which is often the better deal).

Go into IAD. I'm based at CJR but I live right on the south side of IAD. Did you call both FBOs? I'm a little more partial to Landmark if I'm going to leave the plane for any period because they actually do have some tie downs there. Signature will just leave you chocked on the ramp (admittedly with chocks big enough to keep an Airbus from moving).

I was based at Dulles for years (first in a flying club and then I kept the Navion there for a while). I still go in and out a couple of times a year. It's not an issue either IFR or VFR. File a flight plan either way. If you're coming in VFR and landing Dulles, use the PCT freq on the TAC chart (or the one on your IFR plates for a nearby airport) rather than calling the one in the SFRA instructions (which is just a "I'm watching the SFRA transponder" position and serves no ATC role otherwise).

I'd certainly not COUNT on a taxi connection from either of those places...allocate TONS of extra time. Fortunately the one time I had to go from HEF to IAD via the ground, one of Dulles Aviation's mechanics was going that way anyhow and gave me a lift back to my car. I come in from the south typically (just the way it works out for me from NC or CJR) and typically get vectored around near HEF and then in or put on the BARIN arrival. Departure is almost always CAPITAL EIGHT to your first fix. You may get pushed around a bit if you arrive in one of their pushes. According to info given to my wife when planning the Hazy flyin, the best times to avoid the pushes are:

Before 0630, 0730-0900, 1300-1430, 1600-1640, 1800-1930, 2030-2130, and after 2230 LOCAL

Frankly, I usually don't pay much attention and occassionally get spun for twenty minutes or so, but it's never painful.

Where are you coming in from?

Where are you coming in from?

Thanks for the tips, I'll be coming in from GED. Landmark did seem to have better customer service when I called also. Flight out is at 7:55p so figure would need to be on ground by 5:30. Flight back gets in at 730a so looks like May be push times.

Ick, expect to go north of BWI out to MRB and back in then though keep an eye out your left window for the airport and prod them that you have it in sight for a visual.

Thanks! I appreciate the heads up and tips. First time into a "B" so Ill be glad to be IFR.

Y'all were right---IAD is not bad at all. Landed at noon today to head over to museum and was easy to get in..IFR may have helped there though. Landmark only charges a total of $43.00 in fees to park with them for the day or night for a Cherokee...not bad at all. Heading out we joined the conga line but was not as bad as I had thought it would be. Capital nine SID is easy as pie.

Back