Where to go?

flyingcheesehead

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iMooniac
OK, so I've admitted it. I'm addicted to aerobatics.

Where can I go to do more? I don't know of anyone anywhere near me that does aerobatic training. Is there somewhere I can go to find such people?

Thanks,

A certified Vitamin G addict. :yes:

I know it is a ways, but there is a guy at SUS that has an extra that does training in it.
Not sure of his name, not at home right now, but if you would like I can get it for you.

I think there is a small farm in southern MO that does acro also. LOL

Mark B

flyingcheesehead said:
OK, so I've admitted it. I'm addicted to aerobatics.
Ut oh! Not another one! :D

flyingcheesehead said:
Where can I go to do more? I don't know of anyone anywhere near me that does aerobatic training. Is there somewhere I can go to find such people?

Here's a place to start:

http://www.iac.org/begin/schools.html

Last I heard, they have a Cub at Poplar Grove and you can fly a Stearman with Gene Littlefield at Morris. I found a list of instructors...I'll look.

http://iac.org

Last edited:
i dont think that the FBO at poplar grove has a super cub. they do have a J3 and when i flew it it had a huge placard in the middle of the dash saying "absolutely no aerobatics" there are a lot of guys there with stearmans and other hotshot airplanes, im sure if you looked around you could find a CFI.

markb5900 said:
I know it is a ways, but there is a guy at SUS that has an extra that does training in it.
Not sure of his name, not at home right now, but if you would like I can get it for you.

Mark,

That'd be great! The IAC website has "Aeronautical Proficiency Training" listed at SUS, but they only claim to have a pair of Pitts and a Citabria. The Extras are all in NY, CA, FL, TX.. and ID. Nowhere close. Of course, I know of one in AR with a pretty darn good instructor too! :yes:

Diana,

I'm curious... There's a Citabria for rent at RYV. Since you're the local Citabria acro expert, I've got a few questions...

* What's allowed? Does it vary by model?

OK, I guess those are my only questions so far. :rolleyes:

flyingcheesehead said:
Diana,

I'm curious... There's a Citabria for rent at RYV. Since you're the local Citabria acro expert, I've got a few questions...

* What's allowed? Does it vary by model?
Well, sometimes it's a matter of getting full stick deflection with the bulky parachute on. And then there are the limits of the acrobatic category. It helps if the instructor can put you in the front seat. When I fly from the front, I have to be VERY careful how much weight I can put behind me, especially when it comes to spin recovery. The Citabria is very sensitive about aft CG loading, and it makes for some hairy spins (and recoveries) if loaded too far aft.

The Citabrias may vary with amount of weight they can take on depending on a few factors, but you plus another average sized man will have to fly with very little fuel to stay in the legal limits.

Joe Areeda is really tall, like you. I'll ask him about flying with Rich Stowell, and how the weight and balance worked out for them. They may have used a Decathlon, I can't remember.

flyingcheesehead said:
OK, I guess those are my only questions so far. :rolleyes:
:)

Diana said:
Joe Areeda is really tall, like you. I'll ask him about flying with Rich Stowell, and how the weight and balance worked out for them. They may have used a Decathlon, I can't remember.:)

Diana, I got your PM and thought I'd answer here. I did fly in a Super Decathalon. I had a small woman instructor who sat in the back and we were fine. I don't think we would have made it in the Citabria.

When I flew with Rich for a few flights we were very close to MGW maybe a few pounds on takeoff over but only a hair. CG was well within acro limits.

I sat in the front and full control deflection, leg room was not a problem.

Happy to answer any questions I can.

Joe

Areeda said:
Diana, I got your PM and thought I'd answer here. I did fly in a Super Decathlon. I had a small woman instructor who sat in the back and we were fine. I don't think we would have made it in the Citabria.
I wondered about that. The aft loading is a problem. Maybe some day I'll get more comfortable with being PIC from the back. I can't see ANY of the instruments from the back (or the view in front of the airplane), and I'm not comfortable with that combination (yet).

Areeda said:
When I flew with Rich for a few flights we were very close to MGW maybe a few pounds on takeoff over but only a hair. CG was well within acro limits.

I sat in the front and full control deflection, leg room was not a problem.

Happy to answer any questions I can.
Thanks Joe. :)

Diana said:
Maybe some day I'll get more comfortable with being PIC from the back. I can't see ANY of the instruments from the back (or the view in front of the airplane), and I'm not comfortable with that combination (yet).
Tsk tsk tsk. Flying from the back seat is great training for when you get that Pitts!! You don't instrumentation and you don't need to see over the nose.

Use the force, Luke!

Ken Ibold said:
Tsk tsk tsk. Flying from the back seat is great training for when you get that Pitts!! You don't instrumentation and you don't need to see over the nose.

Yeah, you're right. It's that pesky confidence issue. :redface: But, without being able to see that airspeed indicator, I still don't know how to tell when diving for speed if we're approaching 140 mph or if we're approaching redline. :dunno:

Ken Ibold said:
Use the force, Luke!
Okie Dokie. As soon as the beloved Citabria comes back home. :yes:

Ken Ibold said:

Use the force, Luke!

My acro guy has all his students take their first two lessons in the Citabria from the backseat, and uses his shoulder to block the left side instruments.

"Look outside, fly the plane"

Bill Jennings said:
My acro guy has all his students take their first two lessons in the Citabria from the backseat, and uses his shoulder to block the left side instruments.

"Look outside, fly the plane"
I don't want to exceed red line with airspeed OR with rpm, which is pretty easy to do in the Citabria doing aerobatics. Haven't figured out how to manage that without seeing the instruments. Heck, it's easy enough to exceed both when you CAN see the instruments.

Haven't figured out how to manage that without seeing the instruments. Heck, it's easy enough to exceed both when you CAN see the instruments.

For loops, he did give the "OK, pull now" command, but for all else, he blocked the instruments. He thought folks would get a better feel if they started in the back with no instruments. The rest of the lessons were front seat. I don't know if his reasoning is good or bunk. :dunno:

And, I haven't flown a taildragger in so long I probably should refrain from saying anything from this point on. I'd probably jsut bounce off into the trees!!!

Bill Jennings said:
For loops, he did give the "OK, pull now"
Ahhh, that makes more sense.

Bill Jennings said:
And, I haven't flown a taildragger in so long I probably should refrain from saying anything from this point on. I'd probably just bounce off into the trees!!!
Well, it's ALL easier said than done. :)

Back