Where to go train this week?

Giannid

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Gianni
Posted have plane instructor where to train thread. Instuctor is kind of leaving it up to me where to go. He will obviously do the planning of the actual flight but wants me to set everything up as far as car/hotel/airport. We are bassed out of the Cleveland Ohio area and are thinking of leaving Thursday morning if the weather is good. Have a siera that is fueled up and ready to go. He is crazy busy with his full time flying job and told me to try and find a place. Want to stay as close as possible. Where to go?

What kind of training? Are you a beginner or working on an IFR rating?
How far do you want to go?
How many days are we talking?
How much do you want to spend on hotels?
You have barely given enough information for me to begin to ask questions - there is no way I can make recommendations on what you have posted, though there is a really quaint bed and breakfast in County Sligo, Ireland if transatlantic retracing of Lindberg is what this is all about....

Denny-o

Training for my private. Willing to go where it takes to get good weather. Thinking 7 days. Need vfr. Texas is far in a sierra! Might have to.

Leaving Thursday morning, for a week? Sure you can't pick another week?

I would say that your best bet is probably going to be somewhere in Georgia, if the weather forecasts hold. You're gonna have to get up, fly like hell to the south, and land just in front of the crap so it passes you overnight:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Then, if you're lucky, the rest of the week would be OK:

attachment.php

However, this is making the point again that it might be better just to fly around to wherever the good weather is. Texas definitely has lots of it, but that is a long way away and you may not be able to get there leaving Thursday morning.

Weather forecasts change... And making all these plans to be based in one spot, with reservations for car, hotel, etc. sounds like a recipe for get-there-itis.

Attachments

• sfwx36h.gif
    sfwx36h.gif
    120.9 KB · Views: 61
  • sfwx48h.gif
    sfwx48h.gif
    122.2 KB · Views: 61
  • sfwx72h.gif
    sfwx72h.gif
    122.4 KB · Views: 61
I was actually thinking Georgia myself or even South Carolina. Where did you get that weather map? We may have to wing it and bounce around. If the weather is bad for a day we can always do some ifr stuff or even stay in and do ground. I just looked at the extended forecast and doesn't look that bad for the area around savahna. Found a airport close by that has good prices on fuel also on air nav. This is my instructors week off at his pilot job so it works well. And I was also able to sneek away from my business so we are going to try. Georgia is not that bad of a flight I guess. Better than texas or southern florida.

St Simons Island GA (KSSI). Stay at the Best Western (owned by a Navion owner/pilot, close to the airport). Have at least one meal at Gnat's Landing (but don't bother with the "famous" fried pickles unless you really want to be able to say you've had them). Eat as often as possible at Southern Soul Barbecue (on the corner by the airport). Enjoy Golden Isles Aviation's wonderful hospitality.

Back