Where to go in Charleston.

poadeleted21

Touchdown! Greaser!
Bout to go to the airport and aim the plane towards charleston for a late lunch. Where do I fly into for a good hamburger run? Probably be an hour and a half or so before I'm wheels up.

I'm not sure about airports with restaurants down here. KLRO and kjzi are both located near some good restaurants but would require a rental car. Not sure about KDYB or KMKS. I'm pretty sure they don't have restaurants but may at least have a courtesy car.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Patriots Point. Take a boat out to Ft Sumter. Plenty of restaurants downtown, like Savannah, just take your pick.

Wound up throwing a dart and landed in ballermore or something like that. Nice little airport. I felt more like flying than hassling with eating so I took back off, headed towards charleston sight seeing then came back home. Nice flight,kinda bumpy out today though.

Im still a threat to go to Charleston at any time and decrease their food supply so I'm still soliciting recommendations.

Last edited:
Beaufort and Berkeley County are the only two B airports I know of around here. JZI or LRO would both give you great access to downtown. I'm taking lessons at LRO and it's nice but smallish with only one runway. JZI has 2 large runways but I've never seen the facilities. I'll be there tomorrow to check out a plane, though so I can give you some feedback then. Mt Pleasant has a lot of great restaurants as well in case you didn't want to drive all the way downtown.

www.funplacestofly.com has a list of places within the distance you're willing to travel. So put in Charleston and it'll show what is around those airports.

Beaufort and Berkeley County are the only two B airports I know of around here. JZI or LRO would both give you great access to downtown. I'm taking lessons at LRO and it's nice but smallish with only one runway. JZI has 2 large runways but I've never seen the facilities. I'll be there tomorrow to check out a plane, though so I can give you some feedback then. Mt Pleasant has a lot of great restaurants as well in case you didn't want to drive all the way downtown.

I went to Barnwell, then headed towards Charleston, aimed a JZI but didn't bother landing, then came back home. It was bumpy and I didn't feel like messing with rental cars etc.. I was by myself with nothing to do... just farting around.

I've done the lunch thing at JZI a couple of times. They have a crew car at the FBO. Plenty of places to grab a bite nearby.

I've done the lunch thing at JZI a couple of times. They have a crew car at the FBO. Plenty of places to grab a bite nearby.

Me:1 - Shrimp:0

Flew into JZI. Atlantic gave us the crew car for a couple hours, went downtown ate at Charleston Crab House. Not the best I've had, but that's not why I went. ABSOLUTELY gorgeous day, Couldn't understand a word the guy in the Stearman was saying on the radio, but he was fun to watch, and sounded like he was having a ball. We held 180knots ground speed and made it to JZI in 25 minutes... hardly seemed fair. Didn't get burned too bad with the head wind on the way home. I wish Savannah had an airport like JZI.

Flew into JZI. Atlantic gave us the crew car for a couple hours, went downtown ate at Charleston Crab House. Not the best I've had, but that's not why I went. ABSOLUTELY gorgeous day, Couldn't understand a word the guy in the Stearman was saying on the radio, but he was fun to watch, and sounded like he was having a ball. We held 180knots ground speed and made it to JZI in 25 minutes... hardly seemed fair. Didn't get burned too bad with the head wind on the way home. I wish Savannah had an airport like JZI.

Wish I'd known you were going to go downtown. Could have steered you into better places to eat. At least you stayed away from the major tourist trap places like Bubba Gump.

Thanks for the report. I need to head down there sometime soon.

Although it might be a tourist trap, I thought Hyman's seafood was decent. At least, it wasn't ridiculously overpriced. Been a few years though.

Back