where to go for Type Rating ?

NJP_MAN

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Shawn
For those that are helpful Thanks. For those who are not, thanks as well

Last edited:
Are you just doing this for fun? Higher Power in Dallas has been doing 737 types for SWA pilots for a long time.

Are you just doing this for fun? Higher Power in Dallas has been doing 737 types for SWA pilots for a long time.

I guess you could say that. I am scheduled to do it in the Apache with Tom in Michigan. I figure why not also get a type at the same time.

I did an hour in a 737 sim a few years ago. Why not type in a citation? Never know when you might get to fly one.

I did an hour in a 737 sim a few years ago. Why not type in a citation? Never know when you might get to fly one.

Pretty sure the OP already flies a business jet.

I guess you could say that. I am scheduled to do it in the Apache with Tom in Michigan. I figure why not also get a type at the same time.

If you are paying for it yourself, and just want to get a type for fun, I'd do it in a DC-3. There are still a couple of places that offer DC-3 type ratings.

Unless you want to work for Southwest, there doesn't seem to be a huge requirement to have a jet type in advance of hiring for most airlines.

You guys are top notch

Last edited:
If you are paying for it yourself, and just want to get a type for fun, I'd do it in a DC-3. There are still a couple of places that offer DC-3 type ratings.

Unless you want to work for Southwest, there doesn't seem to be a huge requirement to have a jet type in advance of hiring for most airlines.

Depending on his background I wouldn't recommend doing an Airbus type either unless he has considerable glass cockpit and FMS time.

A DC-3 type would be fun for sure. If he wants a jet type a CE500 type or a B737 Classic type would be easier.

☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺

Great help guys.

☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺

Last edited:
I went to SkyWest! Got my ATP and CL-65 Type. They paid for EVERYTHING (including housing during training) and even provided a cute little check twice a month during training! Plus some snazzy new duds.

Now they let me fly their jets for FREE and still send those (slightly larger) checks. It's a hoot!

I fly 7X. So I have the most advanced avionics experience in civilian. Flying. I only have a couple hundred hours though.

You got a type in the Falcon and didn't get an ATP along with it? Or are you just warming the right seat for yet another dirtbag 91 operator?

Gnfbdbxbdbdhdhdhdhdhdhfhhf

Last edited:
Troll thread. You guys are the trolls.

Last edited:
☝☝☝☝☝☝☝☝☝☝☝☝☝☝☝☝☝☝

Last edited:
Edited for cleaning up purposes.

Last edited:
I don't want to fly part 121 that bad. I'm doing pretty well with my 26 days off per month in the 91 world.

Since my "working" days have me doing what I'd love to do on my days off, I sorta feel like I get 30 days off each month. When they give me a string of days without assigned flying, I pick up an extra trip or two to keep flying.

It's nice not having to "work" for a living.

I have the SIC type and I am very greatful that the "dirt bag 91 operator" lets me fly a ultra long range biz jet. Even if I had the full type I didn't qualify for an ATP until very recently so it wouldn't have mattered.

Not to dissuade you, but an SIC type is nothing like a full type.

Another thing you need to consider: You don't have a jet type (SIC doesn't count) and if you get a type in a 737 you will have an SOE limitation that you won't be able to remove.

Can you get your employer to pay for the type (or at least part of it) in the 7X? Seems as if that would be the most logical thing to do.

Can you get your employer to pay for the type (or at least part of it) in the 7X? Seems as if that would be the most logical thing to do.

I agree with this. But if you still don't want to go that route. For $14,500 Higher Power Aviation will do the ATP & Type in a 737NG or MD-80. However, a lot of places like Flight Safety won't allow you to enroll in their initial training courses unless you meet certain prereqs.

I have the SIC type and I am very greatful that the "dirt bag 91 operator" lets me fly a ultra long range biz jet. Even if I had the full type I didn't qualify for an ATP until very recently so it wouldn't have mattered.

It's not an indictment on you - almost all of us have worked for a crummy 91/135/121 operator at one point in our careers. A nice airplane doesn't always equate to a good job. If the 7X was genuinely a good job - they'd have no problem sending you to school to get a real type and your ATP.

It's not an indictment on you - almost all of us have worked for a crummy 91/135/121 operator at one point in our careers. A nice airplane doesn't always equate to a good job. If the 7X was genuinely a good job - they'd have no problem sending you to school to get a real type and your ATP.
In defense of the OPs employer, I will say that they if they have no business reason to PIC type the SIC it's a hard sell. The 7X type rating is probably $40,000+.

In defense of the OPs employer, I will say that they if they have no business reason to PIC type the SIC it's a hard sell. The 7X type rating is probably $40,000+.

I agree that there's no reason from a purely financial standpoint, but a good operator will not only want a well qualified crew, but also want to keep the position from becoming a revolving door. There are plenty of (even mediocre or crummy) Part 91 positions that happily employ two PIC rated pilots to fly their airplanes, as well as pay for their training. $40K is an eye raising amount for a King Air or maybe a single pilot jet operator to put a non required pilot in the other seat. For a 7X? It's a drop in the bucket.

Again, I'm not knocking the OP. I just think a little networking and legwork will get an ATP and type paid for, especially in this job environment.

I will have my private rating soon. How does a guy go about getting one of these fancy dirtbag SIC jobs? (I would love to fly for a living, if I could make a living doing it.) :)

I agree with this. But if you still don't want to go that route. For $14,500 Higher Power Aviation will do the ATP & Type in a 737NG or MD-80. However, a lot of places like Flight Safety won't allow you to enroll in their initial training courses unless you meet certain prereqs.

Another problem is a first time Jet type rating requires 25 hours of SOE to remove the SOE limitation from the certificate.

Again, I'm not knocking the OP. I just think a little networking and legwork will get an ATP and type paid for, especially in this job environment.

It will be an ATP. And it will be paid for. Why go to a job to get a 525 type somewhere I dont want to work when I can have someone pay for a 737 type ? I thought about going to a regional and walking out the moment I get the ATP temp but that takes too long. I like the 21 days and be done with the 737 type too.

Back