Where to go? 10 hrs, DA20

MarcoDA40

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Marco
I have been planning a trip with my girlfriend for a month, it was originally supposed to be a getaway to Ocracoke Island (W95) for the 4th of july but weather didnt really cooperate that weekend.
I had time to add a few hours to my budget and it brings me to 9 hours, not 10 :D
That is round trip, minus 1 hour for taxiing/go-arounds/etc which brings me down to 8 hours, 4 one way, 4 for the return trip.
We wanted to do Williamsburg VA (JGG) and go to Busch Gardens and just explore Williamsburg... that is until the AirBnB got booked for the dates we have available for our trip :mad2:

We are pretty much looking for a theme park destination or somewhere with an attraction of the likes. A beach destination would be okay too (minus Myrtle beach, ive flown there way too many times :) ) but I am looking for a place where we could have access to the arrival airport without having to drive for 30+ minutes or so.
More than 1 destination would be great too!!

A bit more info!

Departure Airport: KTTA, Raleigh Executive Jetport, Sanford NC
Airplane: Diamond DA20
Average Cruise: 120kt (Ive cruised at a GS of 166kt before, fully loaded :yesnod: )
Endurance: 3hrs (dont mind a few pit stops)
*I'd like to avoid LANDING at any Class B airports, Dirt/Grass strips. C,D,E airports are okay!

Thank you all so much!

What you need is a radius line around your origin airport. From there you have candidates for destinations to choose from.

I don't think KHSE can be beat for that area. The SeaGull Motel is closest to the airport if you need to walk, but Island Hopper taxi is normally available. Seagull also has a sweet beach. Rent a golf cart when you get there.

No fuel so you'll need to plan a stop somewhere (probably MQI which is going to bring your round trip time up).

KSKY or Port Clinton for Cedar Point. America's Rockin' Roller Coast. It's under 4 hours at 120kts.

See if you can find other places to stay around KJGG - I just did this trip for weekend with my wife and it was a great fly-in destination: you can call for a taxi/Uber into town (5-10 min) while getting a sandwich at Charley's restaurant right on the field. Everything is walkable and lots of good restaurants. We even caught some great live music by accident.

Other ideas are Kitty Hawk, KAVL or KCHS.

How about somewhere in the panhandle of FL? Maybe a bit touristy, but something should work for a couples getaway.

That's terrible. It had a brand new runway(IIRC)! Airnav still says open but I haven't flown that way in a long time. Have you seen the X's?
Sandusky is definitely closed. Flew over it today and regularly. Was in the local newspapers. FBO owner moved to PCW for.... reasons.

To the OP: 3W2 Put-In-Bay is mighty fine. There today.

Last edited:
How about Ocean City, Md??? The wife and I love it there.:yes::yes::yes: May be hard to ge a room this time of year, but there are many options available. It's a short cap ride from the airport, but you won't need a vehicle until you're ready to leave. There's a lot to do an plenty of places to eat.

Back