Where to get Tailwheel Endorsement?

Joe G.

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Joe G.
Hello,

I would like to get my tailwheel endorsement and I'm looking for recommendations. I live in Boston, Ma.
The obvious route would be to go through a local instructor/ school and I would love to hear recommendations for this.

I would also be open to traveling somewhere (eastern half of the country makes the most sense) and spending a few days with an instructor.

Thoughts are appreciated.

Joe

Seems like no one does tailwheel, hp or complex.

Hampton NH-7B3.

Great small airport with both a paved and grass runway. You will learn your short field technique good there as well (it is 2,600 ft). They rent out Cubs for $100/hr wet and have instructors available.

@UngaWunga is based there if you have specific questions.

Other than that Stowe, MA-6B6 has a flight school I believe has tailwheels for rent. Another great short field for you to learn on.

Got some options here in Charlotte if you want to make the trip that far south!

Hampton NH-7B3.

Great small airport with both a paved and grass runway. You will learn your short field technique good there as well (it is 2,600 ft). They rent out Cubs for $100/hr wet and have instructors available.

@UngaWunga is based there if you have specific questions.

Other than that Stowe, MA-6B6 has a flight school I believe has tailwheels for rent. Another great short field for you to learn on.

Yeah, let me know and I'll offer some suggestions on who to contact. They have two Cubs still. I think the champ is for sale. Good luck.

2100', grass or pavement, you choose.
i-3TCJxrb-L.jpg

Chester, CT (SNC) has an 0-200 powered J-3 for tailwheel instruction.

Hello,

I would like to get my tailwheel endorsement and I'm looking for recommendations. I live in Boston, Ma.
The obvious route would be to go through a local instructor/ school and I would love to hear recommendations for this.

I would also be open to traveling somewhere (eastern half of the country makes the most sense) and spending a few days with an instructor.

Thoughts are appreciated.

Joe
Head down and see Jenny Hawk at OBX Airplanes at KMQI on the NC Outer Banks. While down there you can hit KFFA and walk up to visit the Wright Brother Monument. Really nice scenery there.

You could spend a few days in Florida.
Preston Aviation based at KGIF, Tim Preston is a much respected Tailwheel instructor,hes just celebrated 15,000 hours over 13,000 flying tailwheel planes.
I did mine with him, mainly in a Super Cub but on my final day it was down for a bit of work so I finished up the endorsment in his Stearman....great fun !

Thank you.
I stopped in to Hampton Airfield today. Looks like that may work.
Joe

If you don't mind the drive, check out Urban Aviation Services in Sterling (3B3). J-3 Cub, Citabria, and Stearman are all available for tail wheel training. In addition to paved runway you can also land on the grass.

Back