Where to get a Multi-engine Seaplane add on

jsstevens

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
jsstevens
On my goals for 2023, now that I've got my SES, is a MES.

I'm looking for recommendations as to where to get it done?

I live in central Florida, but the only place close by uses an Aircam. While that's a very interesting plane in it's own right, it's not really what kind of twin seaplane I'd like. I'm perfectly willing to travel (and even to go somewhere interesting) to get this done.

So what have you got?

Folsom Air Service in Greenville, ME used to have a Beech 18 on floats. :D

I'm planning to go to Southern Seaplane in New Orleans for their Part 141 combined ASES/AMES program.

Folsom's Air Service in Greenville, Maine also had a DC-3 on amphib floats!!! It was really interesting to watch them bring it back up the ramp after landing in Moosehead Lake.

What I've turned up so far:
Waterwings Seaplane School, Hoover Al.
Widgeon G44A - $6500
(Also have Aircams)

The Goose Hangar, Lake Hood, Anchorage AK
Goose - $13,500 (to be fair, this is more hours and includes some mountain flying)

Southern Seaplane, Belle Chasse, LA
PA-23-250 (Aztec) on floats, $6500

Brooke's Seaplane Service, Coeur d'Alene, ID
Beech 18 on floats, no pricing info

Multi Engine Seaplane Ratings (catchy name, eh?) Groveland, CA
UC-1 Twin Bee $4500

Northpointe Aviation, Duluth, MN
Beech 18. $8875

I've filtered out a couple of places who use Aircams. As I said, cool airplane but not what I'm looking for.

So I'm still open to other places and especially interested in any experience with any of these.

Beech 18. $8875
I believe that Northpoint sold their Beech 18 to Brooke’s, so you can cross Duluth off your list. If there is an opportunity to do a group buy at Brooke’s, let me know. I can’t think of any reason to get ASES before AMES when there is a Twin Beech available. :)

What I've turned up so far:
Waterwings Seaplane School, Hoover Al.
Widgeon G44A - $6500
(Also have Aircams)

The Goose Hangar, Lake Hood, Anchorage AK
Goose - $13,500 (to be fair, this is more hours and includes some mountain flying)

Southern Seaplane, Belle Chasse, LA
PA-23-250 (Aztec) on floats, $6500

Multi Engine Seaplane Ratings (catchy name, eh?) Groveland, CA
UC-1 Twin Bee $4500

Beech 18. $8875

I've filtered out a couple of places who use Aircams. As I said, cool airplane but not what I'm looking for.

So I'm still open to other places and especially interested in any experience with any of these.
I thought Northpointe sold their Beech?

If Iam just getting a rating, I would go with the cheapest option.

Hmm, Aztec or Beech 18 on floats. Hard choice there.

And the Goose is interesting.

Look at both websites. It's the same Beech 18.

What is that? I want one.
I'd rather have this one
main-qimg-8f47fb27086281144cdb27ad025d138c.webp

Beech 18. $8875
Price is $10k in Coeur D'alene, see above post.
I thought Northpointe sold their Beech?
Correct.
If they have they haven’t updated the web site. I’ll want to confirm when I decide to schedule anyway.
North Pointe hasn't had the Twin Beech for almost a decade now, it was sold to another local company in Duluth for the past several years, and was just sold again late last year. Again see above post for the current company.

What is that? I want one.
Berieve BE-103, they actually brought 3 of them to Oshkosh one year! FAA certified for US market. However, not sure how legal they are to fly today given what is going on. There used to be one that would fly around the California and Arizona Nevada area.. really cool plane indeed

upload_2023-1-17_13-24-33.png

Landing is around 0:28 below not far from me in Lake Isabella up on Kern county

The Aztec on floats is cool but I think I'd go for The Beech, Widgeon or Goose. I'll have to check availability. I mentioned the Goose being in Alaska to my wife an she said "Sure! I'll come!" That may swing it. It looks beautiful and we've wanted to get back to Alaska anyway.
Probably time to start calling and inquiring as to availability.

If Iam just getting a rating, I would go with the cheapest option.
Yeah if I was just getting the rating I would. But I'm also in it for the cool experience. Probably the only chance I'll ever get to fly a Grumman flying boat, ever. Or Beech 18 for that matter.

The Aztec on floats is cool but I think I'd go for The Beech, Widgeon or Goose. I'll have to check availability. I mentioned the Goose being in Alaska to my wife an she said "Sure! I'll come!" That may swing it. It looks beautiful and we've wanted to get back to Alaska anyway.
Probably time to start calling and inquiring as to availability.

Yeah, there is the plus of an Alaska trip.

Hmm, wonder if I could work out a Beaver checkout also. :D

Thinking about this some. I think the cool way is to do the Goose in AK for the MES, and do the Beech 18 checkout with wheels.

Add in the J-3/Stearman checkout available, T-6/SNJ, and T-28 and T-33 and that covers most USAAC/USAAF/USAF trainers for me. :D

Back