Where to fly into the Dallas area

JustA172

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
JustA172
I am looking at flying into the Dallas/Irving area and would like recommendations on where to fly into. I will be VFR and in a 172. If it was just going to be this one time I would simply land outside the area and rent a car, but with my daughter moving there it will be a regular occurrence.

From where?
I am looking at flying into the Dallas/Irving area and would like recommendations on where to fly into. I will be VFR and in a 172. If it was just going to be this one time I would simply land outside the area and rent a car, but with my daughter moving there it will be a regular occurrence.

I've always used Grand Prairie Municipal (KGPM) every time I've gone to see/pick-up/drop off my brother in Irving. I fly in from the west.

I've always used Grand Prairie Municipal (KGPM) every time I've gone to see/pick-up/drop off my brother in Irving. I fly in from the west.

I will also be flying from the west KATS. I looked at KGPM and am leaning toward there. Do you just stay under the Bravo?

GPM works for you. Be on Flight Following, and just stay under the Bravo shelf and you'll do fine. How much you'll be moved about depends on the landing flow at DFW. But again, just be alert and flexible and you'll do fine.

How long are you in town?

Landing at Grand Prairie, be aware of the stadiums and Six Flags in Arlington, just NW of GPM (sports TFRs) and that DFW Class B goes down to the surface at Interstate 30. Also, approaching from the west, Arlington (KGKY) is very busy and has lots of traffic. Talk to KGKY tower and have KGPM tower in standby for the very quick flip flop. Asking to cross mid field over KGKY above traffic pattern altitude, just south of I20, and switching to KGPM over KGKY will set you up perfectly for a left base when GPM is landing north, or a Left downwind entry when landing south.

Both KGKY and KGPM are on the sequestration tower closure list. So check NOTAMS and FSS before flight (as usual) and be prepared to do the above over CTAF.

and for some flying fun.... come up to KAFW and ask the controllers for the Pattern Drill. Be sure you have ATIS Information Bubba when you make your initial call up.

Last edited:
Thank you all for the great advice. I will be in town Thursday through Monday, this go around. AggieMike, are you at alliance? I will start making some different fields, when in the area, just to start getting to know other like minded people.

Most of the time I flew into the area I flew into Addison, or Love itself. Had to be on my game for Love, but they brought me in close, on a tight base. Worked just fine, parked at the FBO next to the FSDO, they had a car waiting for me.

Of course, I already live near a class B and used flight following for nearly every flight, so I was completely comfortable flying into the DFW airspace.

Thank you all for the great advice. I will be in town Thursday through Monday, this go around. AggieMike, are you at alliance? I will start making some different fields, when in the area, just to start getting to know other like minded people.

I'm based at KDTO, a bit north of KAFW.

Regarding the "Pattern Drill" at Alliance:

A popular service offered by Alliance Tower to students, pilots, and flight schools alike is the Alliance Pattern Drill.

The drill comprises a series of common procedures and associated ATC phraseology used for spacing and sequencing aircraft in the runway pattern. The Pattern Drill is available at anytime on request as current air traffic conditions permit.​

It's a nice change of pace from the standard "Bugmasher 123; Runway 16R, cleared for the option." What you will get is the controller doing all sorts instructions from switching to the other runway on final, switching runways on downwind by having you go from your established left pattern on one runway, crossing midfield and establish right pattern for the other runway, turning you outward 270 to a base leg and more.

I also suggest doing a round with light gun signals, which they are also happy to accommodate. We've read about it, been tested on it, but until you actually see it in real life, you don't quite know what to be looking for.

Last edited:
Back