Where to fly into NYC Thanksgiving

flyingcheesehead

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iMooniac
Hey folks,

I'm going to be in the Macy's parade this year, and I'd like to take the Mooney out there, and I'm looking for some PIREPs on local fields as well as information on getting around.

The group I'm in is going to be staying and rehearsing in Suffern, NY for a couple days beforehand. I'll need to get to Rockland Community College after I land in the area on Tuesday, and I'll need to get from the Meadowlands View Hotel near the Lincoln Tunnel in North Bergen to get back to the plane to leave. I'm guessing I'm going to just need to rent a car? I won't need to go any closer in to the city than the Meadowlands View Hotel with the car, we'll be bussed in from there.

Also, is NYC just a madhouse around that time, or would it be worthwhile to do some sightseeing (on the ground) on Thanksgiving and the day after?

Thanks!

That is my least favorite place to fly on earth.

If go at a odd hour, low level VFR will give you the option to avoid the cluster fark of routin they will give you.

KMMU and KLDW are pretty close to that area.. I've flown into both and rental cars should be fairly easy out of there.

Hey folks,

I'm going to be in the Macy's parade this year, and I'd like to take the Mooney out there, and I'm looking for some PIREPs on local fields as well as information on getting around.

The group I'm in is going to be staying and rehearsing in Suffern, NY for a couple days beforehand. I'll need to get to Rockland Community College after I land in the area on Tuesday, and I'll need to get from the Meadowlands View Hotel near the Lincoln Tunnel in North Bergen to get back to the plane to leave. I'm guessing I'm going to just need to rent a car? I won't need to go any closer in to the city than the Meadowlands View Hotel with the car, we'll be bussed in from there.

Also, is NYC just a madhouse around that time, or would it be worthwhile to do some sightseeing (on the ground) on Thanksgiving and the day after?

Thanks!

New York is a MAD HOUSE around that time. People from all over the world are there until after New Years. The Tree lighting starts around that time at Rockefeller Center and everything is packed around that time. Be prepared to be in big crowds. I would fly commercial if I were you, New York Weather is unpredictable around that time. It could be snowing or warm it's close to the winter season.

With that said; I would love to see how it works out for you if you decide to do it. Take lots of photos. It would be cool to see the lights from up high.

LDW? You mean CDW or LDJ.

I always fly into HPN for going to Manhattan, but I go to the upper east side. I think HPN is the best option personally, but they're all bad.

It won't be much more of a mad house than normal, so go ahead and do some sight seeing. Actually many people leave the city for Thanksgiving.

I'd never go to the parade myself, but have fun!

Anyone have any thoughts on N07 or 4N1? Teterboro is geographically good too but I'd imagine the fees there are pretty bad.

I was actually considering going into KEWR until I found out it was going to cost me $125 plus $140/night. :hairraise:

Why not Newburgh or something up that way. Rent a car drive down to Suffern and do all your NYC suffering with the car/train.

The best way is to go somewhere you can get the train in. I've done the Macy's parade (once because we were already in Brooklyn and my daughter really wanted to). I would forgo rental cars. You won't find a place convenient to park on the parade route and if you are staying in a Manhattan hotel you'll be paying big $$$ to park over the gouge on the room.

Why not Newburgh or something up that way. Rent a car drive down to Suffern and do all your NYC suffering with the car/train.

Could do that, but if I don't decide to stay in NYC for thanksgiving I'm going to want to get out of dodge as fast as possible and head to my grandma's in State College, PA for some turkey! For that reason, I'm leaning more toward airports that are between Suffern and NYC. Closer to the Lincoln Tunnel the better.

The best way is to go somewhere you can get the train in. I've done the Macy's parade (once because we were already in Brooklyn and my daughter really wanted to). I would forgo rental cars. You won't find a place convenient to park on the parade route and if you are staying in a Manhattan hotel you'll be paying big $$$ to park over the gouge on the room.

Won't be staying or driving in Manhattan - We'll be getting bussed in from the NJ side. If we stay for sightseeing, will probably stay at the same place and use public transit into the city.

Do they offer free parking at the hotel ?

My wife has family and friends in that area (HoHoKus, Secaucus, Saddle River) and when we go, we fly into Teterboro, park at Meridian and get a rental car through Enterprise. Pray that you dont have IFR weather for departure, if you do, tank an hour extra idling fuel. With a light plane, if the weather is good enough to depart the airport VFR, you have the option of cutting in front of the line with a intersection departure. Picking up IFR in the direct vicinity of the airport is a challenge, I have had good luck once I got to McGuire approach airspace (to the south) and I have heard that Stewart approach (to the north) is helpful as well.

There are lots of Caldwell fanboys on the internet, I am sure it is a perfectly fine place, but driving wise it is just out of the way if you want to get to Suffern, less so to Bergen.

I have heard good things about HPN but considering that both of your targets are on the other side of the river, you may have to contend with bridge traffic (and tolls) on either the Tappan Zee or GW bridge. This is of course very dependent on the time of day and direction.

NYC is a circus any time of the year. Shouldn't keep you from enjoying it. Not the greatest time to do things like the empire state building or ground zero, but there are plenty of other things to do that are not mobbed.

Last edited:
I would do Linden Airport and take the Path train from Newark Penn Station into the city. (I'm from New York)

Won't be staying or driving in Manhattan - We'll be getting bussed in from the NJ side. If we stay for sightseeing, will probably stay at the same place and use public transit into the city.

It's going to be bumper to bumper going in and out of the city at that time. If you can use the Path train, I would do it.

Fly into KFRG then take Long Island Railroad to Penn Station where all the action is for the parade.

Fly into KFRG then take Long Island Railroad to Penn Station where all the action is for the parade.

I'm not going TO the parade. I'm going to be IN the parade. I'm not worried about the parade part at all, we are being transported by bus.

I just need to get to Suffern on Tuesday and then leave from North Bergen on Thursday.

Something funny just occurred to me. The irony of complaining about airline security theater and cattle herding then willingly going off to the same stuff at the Macy's parade or big league sporting events.

And no one's mentioned Dutchess County (POU) which is right there also. I know a few folks who live in the NYC area but are based at POU because it's far more reasonable than the airports in the immediate metro area. Just an easy drive down the Hudson! :)

Am based at N07 (you and I met at Oshkosh in 2010 or 2011), I could give you a ride to the NJ Transit Center or an Enterprise facility if you like.

Anyone have any thoughts on N07 or 4N1? Teterboro is geographically good too but I'd imagine the fees there are pretty bad.

I was actually considering going into KEWR until I found out it was going to cost me $125 plus $140/night. :hairraise:

I was going to recommend both of those. I would be inclined to recommend 4N1 over N07. Easier to land at 4N1, more parking; while N07 will be more difficult to land at and it's VERY cramped.

Am based at N07 (you and I met at Oshkosh in 2010 or 2011), I could give you a ride to the NJ Transit Center or an Enterprise facility if you like.

Oh man, I've been dying to chat with someone based out of there, PM incoming. :D

Now that's an intriguing offer! Thanks Keith! :thumbsup:

I may end up at TEB despite the fees, because looks like it's going to be the best way to get the heck out of dodge after the pee raid.

I may end up at TEB despite the fees, because looks like it's going to be the best way to get the heck out of dodge after the pee raid.

The port authority fee is not much, $16 or so, you get a bill 2 weeks later. Call ahead and negotiate on ramp fees. The fuel is crazy at all teb fbos, meridian waives ramp fee with 20 gallons overpriced fuel iirc. Check with signature, sometimes they have weekend specials on fuel and ramp fees. At teb they have never been competitive with meridian.

Last edited:

Yup. KLDJ. You can walk to the Linden station in a few minutes and 40 min later you're at Penn station. No tower, no talking, no holdups.

GPS-A appr if needed. Low cost and simple.

Everybody has their favorite way in and out of NYC. Ironically there are many choices but none are great, let alone perfect.

I used to live there (NY, NJ, CT, never LI). KHPN is my favorite way in now but I'm usually going to Queens. Great service there and prices not bad given the choices. Not recommended for your trip.

Since you have transport to/from the Meadowlands View Hotel and your exit plan for later that day is State College, I'd recommend KCDW (or perhaps Lincoln Park but I've never been there). I'd get a rental car at KCDW, drive Route 3 into the hotel or wherever you need to go. Park it at the hotel, do the parade, return to hotel, easy drive out Route 3 to KCDW, easy VFR or IFR west out of there.

If at all anxious about NY air traffic, getting into KCDW is easy VFR or IFR without all the machinations you will go thru going into Linden to Teterboro. Especially coming in from the west. Same goes with car traffic. You can get everywhere you need to go easily from that location without having to penetrate NYC craziness except for the parade - but you have transportation for that.

And if the weather craps out for your trip out, just drive I-80 to State College and return to pick up your plane - easy drive there.

BTW, I went into KEWR recently to drop some passengers. Had a blast but wouldn't recommend it unless you just like a challenge.

Hmmmm, you don't even need a com radio to get into Linden. TXP and encoder, easy peasy.

This is a no-brainer. Go to HPN. If you are renting a car it's an easy drive to either Suffern or Rockland Community on I287, and HPN is an easy field to get into as long as you understand that is it a defacto Class C and you need to call NY Approach to get a squawk before calling the tower. It's a piece of cake. Park at Millionaire or Landmark West. Get your fuel somewhere else. It's easy to tank up at POU before arrival or after departure. Much cheaper.

Do they offer free parking at the hotel ?

Maybe, but it is like getting a free night's tiedown if you buy 20 gallons of $8 Avgas. Nuttin is really free....

I have heard good things about HPN but considering that both of your targets are on the other side of the river, you may have to contend with bridge traffic (and tolls) on either the Tappan Zee or GW bridge. This is of course very dependent on the time of day and direction.
Suffern is pretty much a straight shot west from the TZ bridge. If you aren't crossing at rush hour, the TZ isn't bad.

NYC is a circus any time of the year. Shouldn't keep you from enjoying it. Not the greatest time to do things like the empire state building or ground zero, but there are plenty of other things to do that are not mobbed.

Thanksgiving day itself is relatively quiet if you stay clear of the parade route. I realize that you can't avoid the parade route but... Black Friday is a circus for sure. Just come and enjoy! -Skip

Last edited:

Yes.:yes:

Suffern has some excellent places to eat lots of B&B's and a really cool little movie theatre downtown. If not, Lincoln Park and CDW are good but traffic from NJ is a bear. HPN is nice and the Hutch is not a bad drive into the city plus you avoid the GW bridge.

Back