where to find obsolete approach plates

NoHeat

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
I'm learning to use the Garmin 430 by doing approaches with the Windows simulator software that Garmin provides. It's good software, but it uses navigation data circa 2007, so the procedures in its database are old, with a lot of waypoints that have changed.

So, does anybody know where I can download some approach plates from around 2007? I'd like them so that I can view an appropriate plate while simulating the 430 on an RNAV approach.

According to the book I have, MS Flight Sim comes with plates. I haven't looked for them though.

I'm learning to use the Garmin 430 by doing approaches with the Windows simulator software that Garmin provides. It's good software, but it uses navigation data circa 2007, so the procedures in its database are old, with a lot of waypoints that have changed.

So, does anybody know where I can download some approach plates from around 2007? I'd like them so that I can view an appropriate plate while simulating the 430 on an RNAV approach.

Although it's not free, one alternative is to buy Dauntless Aviation's Sim Plates X for $40. It has pdf files of over 30,000 IFR plates roughly synchronized with Microsoft Flight Simulator X. Since the MS sim came out in 2006, that should be about the right time frame.

You can also download a free demo with Hawaii data only.

http://www.dauntless-soft.com/products/SimPlates/

If you manage to find these, I'd be interested in knowing where to get copies.

Also, see these threads for related information (admittedly I haven't read them, but a quick scan looks promising):
http://www.simforums.com/forums/gns-waas-free-airac-update-sep09oct09_topic34067.html
http://www.simforums.com/forums/nav-database-update-via-new-garmin-trainers_topic39731.html

I double checked the book, Microsoft Flight Simulator X for Pilots Real World Training, Jeff Van West and Kevin Lane Cummings to see if I could find the charts for you.

After a lot of hunting around I did see reference in the software that prompted me to Google on SIMcharts for FSX. That got me here ->

http://www.simflight.com/2009/03/31/jeppesen-discontinues-simcharts-for-fs/

I guess it didn't work out.

As an aside, I fly a fair amount for a non-pro track pilot (I'm 57). This book and the sim really has paid for itself in terms of knowledge gained at low cost.

I keep discovering things I never knew about the program. It's been excellent for transition to the G430/530 and will be handy when it's time to tackle the G1000.

Dauntless Aviation's Sim Plates X ... download a free demo with Hawaii data only.

http://www.dauntless-soft.com/products/SimPlates/

That works! Thanks.

The plates are dated June 2007, which is close enough to the November 2007 date on the procedures in the Garmin 400W/500W Trainer software.

I just used it for a simulated GPS approach to an airport nestled between two mountains in Hawaii, and the plates matched the procedures in the Garmin simulator just fine.

I like knowing that I will always have charts that match the sim. It has approaches for other countries too, although the coverage there is less complete than it is for the U.S.

Can you update the "roms" in the 430 sim? In the 480, you just need to copy one of the real aircraft updates into the appropriate directory for the simulator.

Can you update the "roms" in the 430 sim? In the 480, you just need to copy one of the real aircraft updates into the appropriate directory for the simulator.

The full GTN trainer that you get when you buy a GTN, the G1000 trainers, and the GNS430W/530W trainers all use the same database in a .bin file, but they are named differently. The free GTN trainer must have integrated the database and I haven't been able to update it. If you get a copy of one of the later trainers, you can copy the database, rename it if necessary, and use it in one of the other trainers that use the same database. Before I copy and rename the .bin file, I rename the current one to .bin.mmddyy so I can retrieve it if needed, where mmddyy is the effective date month, day, and year of the database. That way I can restore one of the older databases if I have a reason to. The GTN trainer database is the latest and has an effective date of 6/2/11.

For the G1000 trainer, the database is named: worldwide.bin
For the GTN trainer, the database is named: avtn_ww_db.bin
For the G400W/500W trainer the database is named: worldwide.bin

The full GTN trainer that you get when you buy a GTN, the G1000 trainers, and the GNS430W/530W trainers all use the same database in a .bin file, but they are named differently. The free GTN trainer must have integrated the database and I haven't been able to update it. If you get a copy of one of the later trainers, you can copy the database, rename it if necessary, and use it in one of the other trainers that use the same database. Before I copy and rename the .bin file, I rename the current one to .bin.mmddyy so I can retrieve it if needed, where mmddyy is the effective date month, day, and year of the database. That way I can restore one of the older databases if I have a reason to. The GTN trainer database is the latest and has an effective date of 6/2/11.

For the G1000 trainer, the database is named: worldwide.bin
For the GTN trainer, the database is named: avtn_ww_db.bin
For the G400W/500W trainer the database is named: worldwide.bin

Some models of the G1000 are worldwide.bin, but others are avtn_db.bin

Back