Where to buy good LED lights?

skipnsb

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
skipnsb
I need good quality bare LED lights, singles for annunciators, replacement style for instruments that come with screwbase incandescent bulbs, and some multiples for ceiling lamp/courtesy lights? Are there any industry standards for these? Thanks Skip

I need good quality bare LED lights, singles for annunciators, replacement style for instruments that come with screwbase incandescent bulbs, and some multiples for ceiling lamp/courtesy lights? Are there any industry standards for these? Thanks Skip

One or two companies are making LED replacements for many standard lamp bases/sizes. Most but not all have built in dropping resistors or regulators to allow drop-in replacement. There are a few issues to consider though. One is that virtually every example I've seen emits most of the light axially and this would be a problem in many applications such as post lamps and anywhere else that light is collected from lateral emissions of the lamp. Color can be a concern as well. Some of the white ones use a combination of three discrete wavelengths and placing such a lamp behind a colored filter may result in little or no output and there may be a color shift. Similarly putting a red LED behind a green filter won't work at all and there are even cases where a red LED won't pass much light through a red filter if the filter has a fairly narrow passband that doesn't match the LED's wavelength. Finally, there can be issues with dimming. The LEDs usually draw considerably less current than the incandescent lamps they replace so a dropping resistor might not drop much if all the lamps connected to it are changed to LEDs and with a mix of LEDs and incandescent lamps they might not track each other very well as they are dimmed.

One or two companies are making LED replacements for many standard lamp bases/sizes.

Lance, do you have links to some of these companies? I'm putting lights on my Fly Baby and want low draw LEDs. I've found the drop-in bulbs for the grimes position lights that aircraft spruce sells but they are kind of pricey. Can't seem to determine who is making them. Been searching all over the web.

some discussion about LEDs on RV.NET as some of us strive to reduce our electrical loads... generally a lot of junk out there seems to be the consensus so far.

I've purchased some stuff from superbrightleds.com . Got them for the motorcycle, but there seems to be a whole collection of different style bulbs and power units, etc.

Back