Where to begin training.

Jimmy Faulkenberry

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Jwade89
Hello all,

I recently transitioned from the Army to the business sector, and surprise surprise its not my thing. I have always wanted to fly and have been researching Pilot training programs in the Dallas area. ATP seems to have the best and quickest program but I have read bad reviews. I would greatly appreciate any help on better programs, routes or any general advice.

Thanks

There are a million paths...what is your end goal?...just poking holes in the sky for fun, flying big iron for the major carriers, or somewhere in between?

Find a local flight school near you, meet with a CFI and go from there.

Last edited:
Avoid ATP. Find a local flight school near you and meet with a CFI and go from there.
Would it seems the local flight schools around here are more mom and pop. Im not sure that will get me where I need to go.

A little more definition would help. Banner towing requires a commercial pilot. What is your actual end game. Banner towing, pipe line patrol, agriculture applicator, air taxi, or perhaps something with the airlines that requires an ATP.

Would it seems the local flight schools around here are more mom and pop. Im not sure that will get me where I need to go.
They will get you just as far as anywhere. If you're going for an airline career, the regionals could care less where you got your training/ratings from as long as you have them. You could get your training from an old grumpy CFI that has an airstrip and commercially insured aircraft and he could get you the ratings you need just as well as embry riddle.

Sure they will. All you need a is commercial multi license to go to a regional airline. Don't take out any loans, use your GI bill and make sure you can hold a first class medical. Since your in the Army, I don't think this will be a problem.

A little more definition would help. Banner towing requires a commercial pilot. What is your actual end game. Banner towing, pipe line patrol, agriculture applicator, air taxi, or perhaps something with the airlines that requires an ATP.
Airline

There are zero to hero programs...but you have to do you due diligence...some are just pilot mills, some will get you where you need to be.

Traditional programs are mom and pop and can take months if not years to get all of your ratings and necessary hours...sounds like you are looking for an "accelerated" program which is what you wanna research.

FYI, while there are a LOT of commercial pilots here, this board is made up of primarily General Aviation pilots that are not necessarily on the carer track to ATP certifications...but that is also where all pilots gotta start!

There is a pilot shortage out there...but it is not a shortage of available pilots, it is a shortage of pilots that are willing to spend the money to get all the ratings then work for crap pay for years with the regionals before even being considered by the big boys.

Last edited:
Sure they will. All you need a is commercial multi license to go to a regional airline. Don't take out any loans, use your GI bill and make sure you can hold a first class medical. Since your in the Army, I don't think this will be a problem.
Ive been told the only way the GI bill works is if you go to like a college.

The reason people like ATP or Embry is because they offer a structured set route to get you toward your end goal, but charge the customer lots of money for it. You can train at a small FBO flight school and get what you need and still have money left over in your pocket to buy a nice T-bone steak at an upscale restaurant.

Ive been told the only way the GI bill works is if you go to like a college.

Totally untrue. I used my GI bennies at Part 141 flight schools. That's the only requirement, school has be be Part 141 approved. This could be a flight school at your local airport, a military Aero Club on base, or a college. Part 141 is all you need to use your GI Bill benefit. I did it to get my certificates and then I taught Part 141 at AF Aero Clubs and a couple regular old local flight schools.

Back