Where should I fly in the South?

One Short

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Barb
I could use everyone’s help. I like to go to the Short Wing Piper Convention which is in a different part of the country each year. This year it is in Knoxville TN. I have been using a different type of navigation technique each time. It was IFR&R to Alaska (I Follow Roads and Rivers), the Butterfly Way to Vancouver, Washington ( I just kind of flitted around the countryside landing in 18 different states), the NASA system of navigation to Wisconsin(you know, when you head for the Sun and sling shot off to Mars—I headed for the Rockies and sling shot off them back to Wisconsin.) This time I plan to use a Circle to Land Plan. The first picture shows a rough estimate of where I’m headed.
I’ve got 11-12 days to get from Michigan to Tennessee. There a couple of places I would like to see along the way. I need to land in Louisianna(probably will head for Vicksburg) and I want to pass over the mouth of the Arkansas River along the way. I wouldn’t mind flying over the Mississippi Delta if the weather is nice and I am stopping in Pensacola to see my folks. From there I would like to go to Everglades City and overfly some of the Glades. And because I’m in the area I would like to at least land at Key West( one of my EST airports-FarthEST South) After that, if I have time I’d like to stop at First Flight NC.
If anyone has any recommendations for things to see or places to stop I sure would appreciate hearing them. I prefer nontowered airports but don’t limit myself and I like grass(strips, that is) I really like seeing things from the air and flying over water and other inhospitable terrain doesn’t bother me. I’ll have a tent and I don’t mind spending the night on an FBO couch. Heck, I slept one night in the bathroom at Smiley Creek, ID! Oh, yea, I like food, so airports with tasty food are good. The only thing I’m not real handy at is the car rental thing because I never really know where I’m going to land till I get there. I will have a bike though.
I really do like seeing things from the air and nothing is too goofy or boring, even the highest point in Florida is fair game.
Barb
PS: I threw in some pictures of a few of the things I’ve flown by.

Attachments

• Devils Tower WY.jpg
    Devils Tower WY.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 32
  • Monument Valley.jpg
    Monument Valley.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 24
  • Mt Dan Beard & Hunter.jpg
    Mt Dan Beard & Hunter.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 29
  • Smoky Mountain High2.GIF
    Smoky Mountain High2.GIF
    5.7 KB · Views: 25
  • Mt Rushmore SD.jpg
    Mt Rushmore SD.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 28
  • Statue of Liberty.jpg
    Statue of Liberty.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 28
  • Sleeping Bear Dunes1.jpg
    Sleeping Bear Dunes1.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 34
  • Badlands SD.jpg
    Badlands SD.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 30
Barb, your flying adventures amaze me and make me smile. :)

I don't really have much in the way of suggestions, other than to stop by Williamsport if you are so inclined. :yes:

I'll say this much -- you sure are low maintenance!!!!!:D

Sorry, not much help. I haven't done a ton of flying down south. As far as your trip to First Flight goes, I do have a suggestion. Fill up your tanks at KONX Currituck County. It's about 10 mins north of FFA (even in a TriPacer!) and always the cheapest gas by far. Friendly place, but nothing else going on, so I wouldn't plan on getting a burger there. Great for gas, though.

The first picture shows a rough estimate of where I’m headed.

Hmmm - One stop you should definitely make is KSIK, to eat at the famous (to pilots at least) Lambert's Cafe. Very reasonable fuel prices when I was there too - Makes an excellent pit stop.

And because I’m in the area I would like to at least land at Key West( one of my EST airports-FarthEST South)

I stopped to eat at two places down there: Sharky's on the pier, adjacent to KVNC (on the west side, it's unmistakable from the air); and the Conch Flyer at KEYW. Sharky's was definitely better food, but make sure to stop in to the Conch Flyer and pick up your hat and t-shirt showing that you landed at the farthEST south airport in the ConUS. :yes:

PS: I threw in some pictures of a few of the things I’ve flown by.

Hey, I seen some o' those too! :yes: Beautiful!

You're welcome to come by JZP, Pickens County, Georgia in the North Georgia mountains.

Deb

Attachments

• sunset.JPG
    sunset.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 18
Barb, I hope that MO is on your route. :yesnod:

Diana,

Your place is always at the top of my Nearest list on the GPS. I don't know how that happens, you must have some kind of Tractor Beam that draws in planes. :rofl:

Barb

Hmmm - One stop you should definitely make is KSIK, to eat at the famous (to pilots at least) Lambert's Cafe. Very reasonable fuel prices when I was there too - Makes an excellent pit stop.

I stopped to eat at two places down there: Sharky's on the pier, adjacent to KVNC (on the west side, it's unmistakable from the air); and the Conch Flyer at KEYW. Sharky's was definitely better food, but make sure to stop in to the Conch Flyer and pick up your hat and t-shirt showing that you landed at the farthEST south airport in the ConUS. :yes:

Thanks Kent. I've got these on my list of possibles (Everything is possible):rolleyes:

Barb

Diana,

Your place is always at the top of my Nearest list on the GPS. I don't know how that happens, you must have some kind of Tractor Beam that draws in planes. :rofl:
:D Come see us. :yes:

When is the Short Wing Piper Convention?

BTW, my friend that lost his TriPacer to the tornado last year just bought another one. He is back in the air and happily flying again.

You're welcome to come by JZP, Pickens County, Georgia in the North Georgia mountains.

Deb

I missed Pickens County last time through.(Although I did get to Pickens County SC) I was running short of time so I cut the corner of the mountains and ended up at Wimpy. Maybe this time. :smile:

Barb

I agree you should try to hit Lambert's in Sikeston, MO if you have time. They will send a courtesy van out to pick you up and move you to the head of the line. Walnut Ridge, AR is another good stop. Restaurant on the field with a old SW Airlines fuselage for a dining room and a WWII museum. Great stop. If you get down to near Memphis, West Memphis is a good stop (my home field). Of course, Gaston's is a must do. Enjoy.

I'll say this much -- you sure are low maintenance!!!!!:D

Sorry, not much help. I haven't done a ton of flying down south. As far as your trip to First Flight goes, I do have a suggestion. Fill up your tanks at KONX Currituck County. It's about 10 mins north of FFA (even in a TriPacer!) and always the cheapest gas by far. Friendly place, but nothing else going on, so I wouldn't plan on getting a burger there. Great for gas, though.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm all for cheap gas. And worse come to worse I carry enough food for a couple of weeks--emergency supplies, always be prepared and all that. :yesnod:

Barb

You should stop by Elmira, NY on the way home. The International Vintage Soaring Meet runs from June 27th to July 4th, and it's not that far from Williamsport.

I agree you should try to hit Lambert's in Sikeston, MO if you have time. They will send a courtesy van out to pick you up and move you to the head of the line. Walnut Ridge, AR is another good stop. Restaurant on the field with a old SW Airlines fuselage for a dining room and a WWII museum. Great stop. If you get down to near Memphis, West Memphis is a good stop (my home field). Of course, Gaston's is a must do. Enjoy.

Cool, more good places. And all pretty much on my "line" of flight
I would like to land at Gaston's but I would be a week or two late to get the best out of the Place. I really would like to do the Dam approach into Gastons, though!

Barb

You should stop by Elmira, NY on the way home. The International Vintage Soaring Meet runs from June 27th to July 4th, and it's not that far from Williamsport.

You know, that's a thought. We leave Knoxville on July 3. So I have 3 days to get home.

Barb

Barb,

A few ideas other than those already mentioned:

Moontown Airstrip (3M5, grass) in the Huntsville, AL area is a really cool place to fly into on a weekend. Active little strip with plenty of neat planes.

Pell City, AL (KPLR) just east of Birmingham has a great restaurant, Sammy's Touch & Go.

Petit Jean state park (KMPJ), Just south of Morrilton, AR has a cool campground right on the banks of a small lake. The campground is immediately adjacent to the airstrip and you taxi up to it...better yet, it's reserved for fly-in visitors only. They also have cool cabins and a CCC era lodge if you're not in the mood to camp, all of this on top of an Arkansas Mountain.

Shade Tree (MS82, grass), just north of Gulfport, MS, is one of those fields that everyone wishes they were based at. Danny and Janet Miller own the place and they have never met a stranger. They'd love to have you visit especially on a Wednesday night. They have a cookout every Wednesaday under a big ring of live oaks on the east side of the field. Bring a side dish and Danny cooks a feast.

I'm sure I could come up with a 1/2 dozen more if really put my mind to it.

Last edited:
Tim,

Thanks for the heads up.

The way you guys are coming up with ideas, I might need a month. Well, if I don't make them all, it means there has to be a next time.

Barb

Why through central GA instead of along the gold coast? A lot of cool stuff to see between Jacksonville and Cape Hatteras.

Why through central GA instead of along the gold coast? A lot of cool stuff to see between Jacksonville and Cape Hatteras.

No particular reason and no route is set in stone. I was thinking about a stop in Moultrie GA to see the Maule shop and north is the nearest way to get to mountains where it might be cooler in June. I'll ponder any reasons to alter course. :yesnod:

Barb

No particular reason and no route is set in stone. I was thinking about a stop in Moultrie GA to see the Maule shop and north is the nearest way to get to mountains where it might be cooler in June. I'll ponder any reasons to alter course. :yesnod:

Barb

I really like Jekyll Island (09J). Also, St Simons (KSSI) and Fernandina (55J) will get you near the beach and some historical stuff. St Marys (4J6) will get you access to Cumberland Island, which is really nice camping. Unfortunately the strip on the island itself is now closed :frown3: There is Savannah if you like walking around old cities.

Barb, your flying adventures amaze me and make me smile. :)

I don't really have much in the way of suggestions, other than to stop by Williamsport if you are so inclined. :yes:

I'll agree with Ted, I know you were just here two years ago... but we are still great to visit. I had such a blast last time.

I have more furnature and a working kitchen now.... but I am down to only 1 bathroom. :skeptical:

Ooo, will any of the western gliders be comming and can I get a soaring ride?

Ooo, will any of the western gliders be comming and can I get a soaring ride?

I plan on being there with mine, but it's a one seater. I'm pretty sure we'll be able to rustle up a glider ride for you though.

In our BTDT list:
(from your pix)
Devil's Tower, Badlands and Rushmore.
(From the suggestions)
Vicksburg-Nice place for sightseeing. Natchez offers more, but the FBO is not helpful with rooms and rental car. Probably worth the effort to make your own reservations just to spend a day there.
Petit Jean-Beautiful place!
Gaston's-Can't add anything to what others have said.
Walnut Ridge-Ate in the SWA, saw the museum. Both well worth going there. Do not plan to spend the night (we had to due to weather). Local accommodations are sparse.
Savannah-Much to do there including Hilton Head and Tybee. We extended our stay an extra day when we ran out of time before the list was done.
Other suggestions:
Nachitoches, LA. Lots to see and some truly fine eating.
Tunica, MS. Rental car on field and FBO has arrangements with local motels at very good rates during the first part of the week. The airport is only 20 miles from Graceland.
Which airport in Knoxville? Downtown (DKX) is the prettiest airport we have ever flown into. Especially if you are landing to the west.

Which airport in Knoxville? Downtown (DKX) is the prettiest airport we have ever flown into. Especially if you are landing to the west.

Downtown is the one. It sounds like a pretty airport. Although I'm a little biased. Any airport with 100 shortwings sitting on the ramp is Pretty! Actually I don't think I've met an airport I didn't like.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Barb

Savannah-Much to do there including Hilton Head and Tybee. We extended our stay an extra day when we ran out of time before the list was done.

Yes!

If you go to Savannah, eat at the Tucson Grill - Best steak I've ever had in my life (the Cinnamon Chile Rubbed Ribeye), and be sure to get the guacamole and chips - They make the guac right at your table. I never liked guacamole before this, and I *loved* theirs. They also have margaritas in unusual flavors like Mango and Papaya (well, unusual for non-tropical locations anyway).

Tybee Island is a good place to relax, you can see dolphins swimming in the ocean there.

The coolest attraction in the area for me, however, was Fort Pulaski National Monument. Just seeing a civil war era fort that still has cannon rounds embedded in the brick... Wow. And I learned a lot about the history of the time and the new technologies that were used by the Union to take the fort back. Very interesting.

Sounds like a cool trip. Some interesting places to consider.

Acadianna Regional (ARA), in New Iberia, LA. Get the the courtesy car and do a tour of the Tobasco factory. Occasional burger burn or fish fry at the FBO. Don't land on the parallel seaplane runway unless your equipped!:D

Cedar Key (CDK), FL. Gulfcoast north of St. Pete. Nice little airport and you can get a ride to the local restaraunts.

Peach State Aerdrome (GA2), Williamson, GA. Candler Field aviation museum, gift shop, and Barnstormers Grill all on the field.

Pell City (PLL), AL. Nice airport and you can taxi right up to the Barbecue place.

McCollum field (RYY), Kennesaw, GA. Elevation restraunt on the field. Good food but a little pricey. Several Civil War museums and Kennesaw Mountain Battlefield nearby. You might even get a ride in in a Sky Arrow or Peregrine if you give me heads up.:smile:
Head up to Pickens county for much cheaper fuel though.

I'll bet you have a great time. Let us know how it goes.

Glad to hear (read) you say that! I had lots of fun too. Feel free to give us a last minute call. The Futon is always open.

Alternately, I have genuine guest bedrooms and a guest bathroom. ;)

But we girls will have more fun ;)

and I've seen your "guest" bed and my Futon is more comfey.

That's the second guest bed, which has only been used by anyone in my house once. My primary guest bed (the one that's put in use when I only have one person visiting) is far more comfortable than your futon. I have two guest rooms, remember?

Either way, no need to fight on it. Should Barb choose to grace us with her presence, she knows that she has a multitude of options from which to choose. :)

I thought I'd pull a Scott/Nick, and resurrect this thread. :p

It's just two and a half weeks until I take off on my trip. I've got my charts and am getting kind of excited (well, really excited :D)

One question for you guys down around Florida. Can you fly low by the Kennedy Space center area? I know there are major restrictions during a space shot, but if there isn't one, can you do a fly by to get some pictures and are there any special procedures?

Barb

I thought I'd pull a Scott/Nick, and resurrect this thread. :p

It's just two and a half weeks until I take off on my trip. I've got my charts and am getting kind of excited (well, really excited :D)

One question for you guys down around Florida. Can you fly low by the Kennedy Space center area? I know there are major restrictions during a space shot, but if there isn't one, can you do a fly by to get some pictures and are there any special procedures?

Barb
Looking at the sectional, there don't appear to be any special procedures. Check out FAR 91.143, and look at SkyVector.com for the airspace around KXMR and KTTS. I think that there are some restrictions (restricted areas active) while there's a shuttle on the pad, whether or not it's right before a space shot.

I made it back from my trip to Knoxville TN. I had a wonderful time. The trip took 16 days, 43.3 hours with 56 landings in 15 states, 54 different airports and 51 that were new to me.

I didn’t see as many “Ooh-Awe” sights as I’ve had on other trips but I did run into a bunch of really nice people.

Things I saw and people I met:

1. In Arkansas, they don’t fish for catfish, they grow them on farms.
2. The Mississippi River has some really big barges
3. Shade Tree Mississippi MS82 has got to be one of the nicest airports in the country. Danny and Janet Miller own the airport and are really great hosts. The guys that hang out there are fun to talk to and the airport not only has a front porch on the hangar but a back porch and a club house. There is coffee every Saturday morning on the front porch and a cookout every Wednesday.
4. The mouth of the Mississippi River is a long way down there.
5. And it is swampy all over down in the delta area.
6. The Smoky Mountains are not as tall as the Rockies but they are pretty
7. North Carolina has a program called “Operation Fly NC” where you can get a gift for landing at a bunch of airports, visiting aviation museums and attending FAAST meetings. I managed to get 20 NC airports and 2 museums. Not enough to get a gift but close enough to make me want to come back and get a few more. First Flight is one of the museums.
8. Even though the Smokies aren’t as big as the Rockies, you still have to be careful and know where you are at if the weather isn’t the greatest.
9. At Morristown TN there is the most amazing lady, Evelyn Johnson. She is 4 months shy of 100 years old. She lost her medical 3 years ago due to glaucoma. At that time she had 57,634.4 logged flight hours. She trained over 5000 students and was the designated examiner for over 9000 pilots. She was the first and only airport manager at Morristown and still goes in to work 5 days a week. She is an incredible lady to talk to and does act a day over 71.
10. We visited the Oak Ridge Graphite Reactor while at the Short Wing Convention and I noticed that it takes more than just Uranium to fuel the reactor, it takes Donuts.
11. I don’t have a good picture of Lee Bottom, IN (64I) but it is another incredibly nice grassroots airport on the banks of the Ohio River.

Every where I went I seemed to run into the nicest people, but I guess that is just par for the course at smaller airports. Well, it is time to start planning next years trip. There is going to be a flyin at Fredricksburg TX and my charts suggest that California is right on the way!

Barb

Attachments

• 01 Catfish Ponds.jpg
    01 Catfish Ponds.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 13
  • 04 End of Mississippi.jpg
    04 End of Mississippi.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 03 Shade Tree.jpg
    03 Shade Tree.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 02 Two Tug Barge.jpg
    02 Two Tug Barge.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 05LA Delta.jpg
    05LA Delta.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 06 Smoky Mountains.jpg
    06 Smoky Mountains.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 07 First Flight and 8138D.jpg
    07 First Flight and 8138D.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 08 The Edge of Bad Weather in Mountains.jpg
    08 The Edge of Bad Weather in Mountains.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 09 Evelyn Johnson.jpg
    09 Evelyn Johnson.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 14
  • 10 Donuts Make Plutonium.jpg
    10 Donuts Make Plutonium.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 9
What a wonderful trip! And great photos!
Thank you for posting for us. :)
Such a way to see the world... (I've got to get out and up more!)

(Meanwhile, my mom and I stopped at Gladwin on the 4th. The fella [forgot to get his name!] said you'd set out on a trip a couple of weeks ago, didn't know when you'd be back.)

I'm sorry I missed your stopover at M11. I would have taken you to dinner. I was in OK working a charity airshow that week.

The lady running the airport is the widow of the former FBO manager. She's working to keep the business going and really appreciated your stopping by.

Shade Tree is a great place to drop in. I even did a BFR there one time just to get in on the food line... ;)

Wow... Sounds like a GREAT trip! And you got to meet the legendary "Mama Bird!" Neat! :)

Back