Where is this airplane grave yard?

Looks like Davis Monthan AFB in Tucson. They used to cut up decommissioned bombers and leave them in place so Russian satellites could see them. Lots of expensive airframes pickled in the desert.

Thanks. I'm pretty sure we drove through/past the air base to get to the Pima Air and Space museum, but I didn't put it together.

I can almost see the house I lived in for a ~year in that pic.

Lots of cool/old plane parts around there.

There is another bone yard in Adelanto, CA as well.

One of the saddest flights of my life taking my bird there from Tyndall AFB.

It's actually AMARG with a "G" now. One of my favorite places to take people sightseeing.

IMG_2893_zps3feb3320.jpg

I'm not sure, but the watermark says Pima Air & Space Museum. I'm guessing they own the photo and I'm pretty sure it's AMARG. Not too many places we cut up B-52s and leave them in place.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Pima Museum is nearby and that is where you (as the regular public) sign up for the bus tour that takes you through the facility. The museum is worth visiting as well. Also nearby is the Titan Missile Museum. All of these are operated by the same foundation (Tuscon Air Museum Foundation).

Yvonne Morris is the director and she conducted the tour we had of the silo. She was a missile commander back in the day and one who had her "hand on the key." She went into missiles as the aircraft MOAs were off limit to women at the time. Here's a picture of her in her younger years. (She says that her regular glasses broke that day and that's why she has shades on in the control room).

6818aef098bc.jpg

Back