Where is the BEST BBQ on the East Coast?

TuomoMooneyFlying

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Tuomo
If you had to name one amazing BBQ restaurant in the southeast that is conveniently close to an airport, what would it be? We went to check out one that has been recommended by so many!

My pick..

Pik N Pig
BQ1

Its literally on the airport. Have your A game when you come in for a landing.
13/31 - 2538x36
Talk to me about the A game bit? Just runway dimensions? Or something else like obstacles?

Talk to me about the A game bit? Just runway dimensions? Or something else like obstacles?
obstacles, tree line, narrow..
be on your speeds..

There have been physical evidence of planes on display that didnt fair well.

Not really East Coast...but.....when I was growing up, for a few years we lived in Owensboro KY not far from a place that I learned years later has a big reputation...Moonlight BBQ I think was the name. Sadly I have no memory of ever trying it. It's not far from the airport as I recall.

Later lived in Eastern NC and never liked that style of BBQ growing up, but had some a couple years ago...1st time in many decades...and I really liked it a lot. Very different style. Jackson's Big Oak Barbecue in Wilmington, NC...about 6 miles from the airport

You really weren’t at the beach at St. Simons. The water would be up to the rocks at high tide there. You really want to go out by the old Coast Guard Station to be on the beach. The old Coast Guard Station is now a WWII museum which is worth visiting. It focuses on what was going on in the area during the war. There was a major ship building operation going on in Brunswick.

We love all of the barrier islands in the southeast. They all have such a different personality.

Last edited:
You really weren’t at the beach at St. Simons. The water would be up to the rocks at high tide there. You really want to go out by the old Coast Guard Station to be on the beach. The old Coast Guard Station is now a WWII museum which is worth visiting. It focuses on what was going on in the area during the war. There was a major ship building operation going on in Brunswick.

We love all of the barrier in the southeast. They all have such a different personality.

Oh dang, now I have to go back! Ha! Thanks for the tip though, I need to check out that museum!

“Smoke”

Fly into KFXE or KPMP, 25 min from either airport.
A1A, one block north of Oakland Park Blvd. in Fort Lauderdale.

outstanding flavor and aroma, consistent, fast service, not expensive!

As much as I hate Signature at Asheville NC, "12 Bones" is 2.5 miles from the airport and one of the premier BBQ places on this side of Appalachians. Their blueberry chipotle ribs are legendary.

Thanks. I flew to Asheville two weeks ago. Wish I knew about 12 Bones. I added to FlightsForBites.com.

The restaurant just off the airport in Saint Simons holds its own with BBQ. Plus hotels you can walk to.

Stantons Barbecue & Fish Camp is a bit hard to find but good. It's a grass strip and not on the charts. https://www.stantonsbbq.com/find-us. It's just adjancent to Stantons road, the runway is delineated with 5 gallon paint buckets.

I won't say it's the best BBQ, but if you're in the vicinity the Kings Korner at Chesterfield (FCI) usually has some decent BBQ.

Stantons Barbecue & Fish Camp is a bit hard to find but good. It's a grass strip and not on the charts. https://www.stantonsbbq.com/find-us. It's just adjancent to Stantons road, the runway is delineated with 5 gallon paint buckets.

I won't say it's the best BBQ, but if you're in the vicinity the Kings Korner at Chesterfield (FCI) usually has some decent BBQ.

I would venture to say I've never had anything good there, but it IS fun to try and find and land on the dog leg grass runway. worth going at least once for the experience. as with a few other local hidden "gems" 'round here, it's a step back in time. a mighty, awfully large step.

I would venture to say I've never had anything good there, but it IS fun to try and find and land on the dog leg grass runway. worth going at least once for the experience. as with a few other local hidden "gems" 'round here, it's a step back in time. a mighty, awfully large step.
Stanton's is very old school eastern NC BBQ, reminiscent of the days when bbq wasn't a high art, but rather, cheap and satisfying southern fast food. It's a neat little place to stop into; I haven't been there in years but the grass strip is cool.

That's my old stomping ground; I forgot about Kings Korner. Not a bad spot if you're in the neighborhood.

while we're on the topic of Virginia Airport BBQ joints, it looks like Suffolk has a BBQ joint on field. I haven't tried it, but it has decent reviews. And just up the road, Wakefield is famous for VA Diner, which prominently serves bbq and all things peanut related.

Oh, and if you're planning out to 2027, it looks like a Buc-ee's will be opening up close to New Kent Co Airport (W96). I hear the Brisket sandwich is worth waiting four years for.

Last edited:
That's my old stomping ground; I forgot about Kings Korner. Not a bad spot if you're in the neighborhood.

while we're on the topic of Virginia Airport BBQ joints, it looks like Suffolk has a BBQ joint on field. I haven't tried it, but it has decent reviews. And just up the road, Wakefield is famous for VA Diner, which prominently serves bbq and all things peanut related.

Oh, and if you're planning out to 2027, it looks like a Buc-ee's will be opening up close to New Kent Co Airport (W96). I hear the Brisket sandwich is worth waiting four years for.
The Virginia Diner is pretty good, been there several times. Wife's family is from that area.. AKQ very easy to get in and a nice short walk. There is a new BBQ joint at Wakefield called "Daddy's Pitmaster BBQ". Will have to try that one very soon... PoA Lunch...

Yes. It get my highest go around score. And yes, runway 31 does slope down to the west. That is why I prefer runway 13. But it is worth it. Bring some folding chairs so you can join the judges line. Lots of atmosphere especially on a nice Saturday. Sometimes hard to pick out from the air.

Last edited:
BQ1 is good mostly for the venue. I don’t find their food to be particularly spectacular. There is no good reason to take off to the east over the trees or land to the west unless the winds are really howling. Not sure where I’d recommend though you could land at KEXX and take the crew car to many places that have better BBQ than BQ1. One of my favorites is Tarheel Q near 8a7 but it will be tough getting transportation and probably a stretch for an electric bike.

Last edited:
I like Stanton's and find the food pretty good and quite affordable. They do have a bulletin board located in the dining room with pics of airplanes that make less than graceful landings. One of my life's goals in to never make the bulletin board. Low and Slow is good as well. The airport is quite busy with student pilots. CTAF for KJNX is 122.725 which is a little different. Line crew at KJNX will emphatically give you specific instructions on how to access the restaurant. [Enter through the FBO and NOT the flight school.] Again, lots of student pilot activity at KJNX. I have not been to the new Pik 'n Pig but frequented the old restaurant many times. I found the food good and reasonable. If it's a pretty day there will be anywhere from 10-20 planes at Pik 'n Pig. You will usually see a go-around or two while eating. Landings can be exciting. Nail the airspeed and don't hesitate to do the go-around.

They might be very tasty. But I can't get past the description to think of these as ribs. The only adjectives that should precede the word "ribs" are things like beef and pork.
Thank you. You might want to add "smoked" at least sometimes, but yeah, beef or pork is required.

BQ1 is good mostly for the venue. I don’t find their food to be particularly spectacular. There is no good reason to take off to the east over the trees or land to the west unless the winds are really howling. Not sure where I’d recommend though you could land at KEXX and take the crew car to many places that have better BBQ than BQ1. One of my favorites is Tarheel Q near 8a7 but it will be tough getting transportation and probably a stretch for an electric bike.
On days when I was commuting by car from Northern Virginia down to NC26, I'd time it so I hit Lexington at meal time. I had a map of all the bbq joints in town and tried them all.

My favorite overall (and best dip which I used to buy by the gallon): Lexington Style Trimmings
Best pork and Best Hush Puppies: Lexington Barbecue.
Good Q with skin optionally added : Smileys

On days when I was commuting by car from Northern Virginia down to NC26, I'd time it so I hit Lexington at meal time. I had a map of all the bbq joints in town and tried them all.

My favorite overall (and best dip which I used to buy by the gallon): Lexington Style Trimmings
Best pork and Best Hush Puppies: Lexington Barbecue.
Good Q with skin optionally added : Smileys
I by no means have tried them all but to date BBQ Center was my favorite in Lexington.

Back