where is stall warning horn located c-172 '61

Bluethunder

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Bluethunder
Where is the stall warning horn located on '61 Cessna 172?

Hopefully in the cockpit, connected to a mechanism on the left wing.

Perhaps you should be asking "Where is my POH for the '61 Cessna 172."

It's that round gauge just under the yoke, with the red light in it. it's triggered by the stall warning switch in the left wing leading edge.

It's that round gauge just under the yoke, with the red light in it. it's triggered by the stall warning switch in the left wing leading edge.

Really? Don't remember anything like that on the early 172s. Mostly acoustic as I recall ... but then again, factor in my age ...

Jim

Really? Don't remember anything like that on the early 172s. Mostly acoustic as I recall ... but then again, factor in my age ...

Jim

Haven't seen one in ages Jim but I seem to recall early Pipers having a flashing light stall warning.

Hopefully in the cockpit, connected to a mechanism on the left wing.

Perhaps you should be asking "Where is my Cessna Owner's Manual for the '61 Cessna 172."

Fixed that for ya

My 1962 Cessna 150 had an electric horn mounted to the "glove box", the stall warning flapper sticking out the left wing's leading edge connected to the switch.

Jim
Nothing wrong with your memory as far as I can tell. A Cessna 172 acoustic stall warning was/is a nice solution. No power required.

The stall warning went to the party horn variety in the H version. The 172 through 172G had an vane connected to a switch and an electric "horn" as described earlier.

My 1962 Cessna 150 had an electric horn mounted to the "glove box", the stall warning flapper sticking out the left wing's leading edge connected to the switch.
Yes, my 1959 has the actual horn mechanism behind the chart (glove) box, just remove the box and you'll find the horn.

Yes, my 1959 has the actual horn mechanism behind the chart (glove) box, just remove the box and you'll find the horn.
I would have sworn that change didn't occur until later. Oh well.

Haven't seen one in ages Jim but I seem to recall early Pipers having a flashing light stall warning.
That's right my '59 PA-24 has a light in the middle of the instrument pannel. Its on steady thought not flashing unless the stall warning switch is on the verge of a stall

Yes, the diagram shows attached to back of glove box. Of course, not there. Just wondering if maybe some other place before I take seats out, crawl up on the rudder pedals with a flashlight

Yes, the diagram shows attached to back of glove box. Of course, not there. Just wondering if maybe some other place before I take seats out, crawl up on the rudder pedals with a flashlight
I have power to mechanical relay in wing & switch operating properly, and power supposed to go to horn first, so must bad horn or?

Most 150's/172's of that era had them either above the glove box, or on the inside of the firewall near the glove box. (right side of the cockpit if you don't have a glove box...)

I have power to mechanical relay in wing & switch operating properly, and power supposed to go to horn first, so must bad horn or?
Bad ground at switch end or broken wire between the horn and switch.

My 1961 182 has it mounted to the glove box. The 1961 172 I owned before the skylane had the glove box removed and the horn was mounted to the upholstery side panel a few inches to the right of where the glove box would have been. Tape the stall warning in the on position, turn on the master, and stick your head under the copilot side of the panel. I'm sure you'll find it.

My 1960 PA-24 doesn't even have a stall indicator.
:0)
Neither does the Navion. If you get some indication via buffetting or the like, you don't need an additional indicator. The Navion has two little stall strips on the leading edge which generates enough airflow disruption at the near critical AOA.

How about getting someone to suck over the hole while you listen?

Just close the hanger door first and don't admit anything here. ;)

There is nothing to suck on in his plane. The party horn didn't show up until the 1967 H model as I already pointed out. All he needs to do is put a piece of tape on the vane and turn the master on.

Back