Where Does Your City Rank as Most Manly?

K

KennyFlys

I suppose this means Kevin is the most manly on this board? :D

To Launch Its Ultimate Man Zone Sweepstakes, COMBOS(R) - Man's Favorite Cheese-Filled Snack - Partners with the Expert Behind Multiple Best Places Rankings to Reveal 'America's Manliest Cities'

• Nashville is the Mecca of manliness. With its high number of NASCAR enthusiasts, popularity of hunting and fishing and concentration of BBQ restaurants, the Music City stands alone atop the mountain of manliness.
  • Despite high ratings in the "bowling" category, New York City ranks 50th out of 50 in the study due to low scores in manly indicators such as "fishing," "home improvement" and "drag racing."
  • If you're in the Midwest and looking to enjoy a game with a cold beverage, look no farther than St. Louis, which has the highest concentration of sports bars in the country.
  • Grand Rapids, Mich. has more monster truck rallies, per capita, than any other U.S. city.
  • Philadelphia and Chicago, with low scores in the "hunting" category fail to crack the top 25 (ranked 30th and 46th respectively).
  • The men of Oklahoma City know how to snack with gusto. Their city owns the highest purchase rate of salty snacks, such as COMBOS(R).
  • Got chainsaws? What about hammers and power drills? The men of New Orleans do. The "Big Easy" boasts more hardware stores per capita than any other U.S. city.

Well, if nothing else, Nashville does have the BBQ claim going for it. But, do any match Cooper's in Llano, Texas? Not likely! :)

I'd like to see how manly any of those Nashvilians become when you drop them off in the middle of Harlem.

I'd like to see how manly any of those Nashvilians become when you drop them off in the middle of Harlem.

You haven't been in east Nashville, have you? I was on a regular basis and it compares well with Harlem (until the revitalization started). I have also done business in Harlem so I understand both dynamics. Attitude is what keeps people alive in most instances, not brute force. In simple terms, street smarts.

If you treat folks like folks should be treated, most will come along without incident. The few egg heads are an anomaly and should be treated as such. I won't let a few egg heads dictate how I treat and react to the majority.

Of course, that's just me and YMMV.

Dressing up in your favorite team's outfits? I stopped doing that in, what, 7th grade? Sitting around in barcaloungers watching a bunch of millionaire pricks drive in circles? Plastering one's car with bumper stickers praising a number?

That's manly?

:dunno:

wait, where does baking cookies factor in on the list??

After just getting back from a trip to NYC where I spent a good portion with a friend in Harlem, it's not as bad (at least now) as people like to think. Hell, there are some areas in Greenwood that I'd take Harlem over. :yikes:

But point taken.

And I dunno how low NYC can rank when surely they've got the highest bar density per square mile (I'm guessing). And way too many "all you can drink" nights (This I know...).

It is doubtful that any of the cities listed exceed Fairbanks for its 'manliness.' If in no other category than the number of ATV's per capita. Or for that matter, the ratio of men vs women ;)

It is doubtful that any of the cities listed exceed Fairbanks for its 'manliness.' If in no other category than the number of ATV's per capita. Or for that matter, the ratio of men vs women ;)

I dunno, Sidnaw might have you beat in the ATV/Person category...

I dunno, Sidnaw might have you beat in the ATV/Person category...

That's for sure, although what population/population density is required to constitute a city? I think we double the population of Sidnaw during the fly-in.

As to Harlem/NYC: I grew up there as the blond white boy from where the rich folks live. I never had issues walking through Harlem, Corona, Long Island City, Bushwick, South Bronx, etc. I have been through certain parts of Nashville that aren't so hot, and I've been to South-Central LA. I'm still alive, and most of the people in all the listed places are actually quite friendly.

In the wilds of Africa, most animals won't attack you unless they're really hungry or (more common) you do something to deserve it. Even then, they'll generally give you warning first. Having been to "bad" neighborhoods of New York City as well as the wilds of Africa, the two are remarkably similar. Leave the creatures there alone, and they'll leave you alone.

Says you. The most harrowing experience of my life was breaking down in South Central Los Angeles.

Dressing up in your favorite team's outfits? I stopped doing that in, what, 7th grade? Sitting around in barcaloungers watching a bunch of millionaire pricks drive in circles? Plastering one's car with bumper stickers praising a number?

That's manly?

:dunno:

Well this sure ain't
http://www.e-mancipate.net/
screenshot-final_12.jpg

Says you. The most harrowing experience of my life was breaking down in South Central Los Angeles.

Different experiences for different folks. Being in South Central LA was far from my most harrowing experience.

Then again, when you're from NYC (especially if you went to school in Brooklyn), it really does take a lot to cause you to raise an eyebrow.

I was serious. Mantyhose ain't manly. I am worried that you would think that it could be.

Oh, I know you're serious. And there ain't no way on the planet that I would fall for that trap. If I never fell for the Member's Only fad, you know I'm not going to fall for mantyhose. I'm just shocked that some people actually are pushing it in a serious way. I can't get my brain around that. Too weird.

The closest I ever came to being intentionally killed was in tony Green Hills. Followed by Buckhead. This during years in which I worked in some of the worst housing projects in the south.

Last edited:
In the wilds of Africa, most animals won't attack you unless they're really hungry or (more common) you do something to deserve it. Even then, they'll generally give you warning first. Having been to "bad" neighborhoods of New York City as well as the wilds of Africa, the two are remarkably similar. Leave the creatures there alone, and they'll leave you alone.

For the most part I've found the above to be true. Don't act like a victim and don't act like an easy target and you won't be.

That said, when I was in New Orleans, the rules were different. Some of those..folks..felt as if I owed them money and me not giving it to them was stealing from them. There were a few very tense moments. One should not be lost in New Orleans at night on a motorcycle with northern plates.

I must admit I'm surprised that Grand Rapids showed up. Ah, the smell of monster truck fumes and crushed cars :) Now I can say my city is famous for something!

Replace the word "manly" with "redneck" and I agree with everything stated herein!

:rolleyes:

I googled and looked to find that Los Angeles was 49 out of 50. San Francisco was 48.

I'm reminded of the dictionary for translating Women's English where "You're so manly" means "you smell bad and need a shave".

Joe

Back