Where does scratch and dent stuff come from?

Keith Lane

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Keith Lane
And for my 600th post. (I know, that's a light weight count)

Take a flood, and a train.
1. Re-route the train through the Windsor tunnel. Dur to flooding. (A very tall intermodal train full of double-stack cars).
2. Ignore the high load warning devices.
3. Proceed.through the tunnel.
4. Instant scratch and dent stuff.
5. Let the blame games begin.
:)

Attachments

• oops 1.jpg
    oops 1.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 54
  • oops 2.jpg
    oops 2.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 51
  • too tall 1.jpg
    too tall 1.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 36
  • too tall 2.jpg
    too tall 2.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 25
  • too tall 3.jpg
    too tall 3.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 38
  • Scratch and Dent.jpg
    Scratch and Dent.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 56
  • sctatch and dent 2.jpg
    sctatch and dent 2.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 49
That'll buff right out!!!

What damage happened to the tunnel?

Who pays for something like that, is it the train operator?
No doubt it'll buff out and probably still have a factory warranty.
I don't have any report on the damage to the tunnel (Windsor Tunnel in Detroit). But it looks like the containers yielded nicely and took the damage.
And oh, yes indeedy, the railroad will pay, and pay, and pay.
There is a whole department that is supposed to make sure that all trains will clear all vertical as well as horizontal objects and that they will clear all meeting and passing trains on any curve, or apply restrictions on passing/meeting.

WOW, I bet someone's doing a carpet dance for that one! Does the engineer take any blame, or is it all on the planning folks that told him he'd fit?

WOW, I bet someone's doing a carpet dance for that one! Does the engineer take any blame, or is it all on the planning folks that told him he'd fit?

There will be blame for everyone. On the railroad, it's far better to fix the blame than to fix the problem.
As train accidents go this one is probably a pretty cheap one.
Buy some washers (which will be sold to a scratch and dent guy no doubt). I can't tell what the other lading was. Could have been expensive, probably not.
Buy some containers. (Sell them as condo's south of the border)
Inspect and (possibly) repair a few cars.

On the plus side.
No injuries.
No hazmat spills.
All cars remained upright and mobile.
Just bid'ness as usual.

That'll buff right out!!!

OK, Billy...

fixit.jpg

Trapper John

Amazing. Looks like your container anchoring system passed. :)

Have you found the disconnects in the program yet that led to this, beyond the ignored warning devices?

Couple of questions....how fast was he going and how far did he go into the tunnel????? By the looks of the pics, it either took hinm a while to get stopped, or he really didn't notice the metal grinding noises.

Couple of questions....how fast was he going and how far did he go into the tunnel????? By the looks of the pics, it either took hinm a while to get stopped, or he really didn't notice the metal grinding noises.

Probably not very fast, under 20 mph, I'd guess and yes it would take a while to stop.
The crew could barely hear the opening salvos of a nuclear attack behind them, especially once they got in the tunnel. The sounds of a locomotive in a tunnel when you are on the lead unit is pretty awesome. Some crews actually wear a very nice David Clark locomotive headset.
They may have noticed a need for additional power, but from the news report, it sounds like they did not realize a problem till they emerged from the other side.
We are not involved in this investigation. I was e-mailed the pictures as a point of interest. See the only news report I have found here.

http://www.canada.com/windsorstar/story.html?id=02c4ec5e-814f-49f0-b710-bc088c97447f

Did the conductor even have a chance? Seeing as how you can't really stop a train and some guy in a control room dictates his path what could he do?

DCCIRailroad.gif

http://www.davidclark.com/HeadsetPgs/railroad.shtml

I had seen them on the DC web site but have never seen any crews wearing them. Any idea how they are different than the aviation versions?

I'm not sure if there are differences. My friend with the Ercoupe has some. He got them from the DC railroad products rep before he (the pilot) retired from the railroad. I'm pretty sure he uses them while flying. I'll ask. Could be like helicopter headsets, or maybe a difference in the connectors. I"m sure whatever it is, the aviation version is much, much more expensive, even if the hardware is identical.

Back