Where do you keep your Medical

In my wallet with my certificates and photo ID.

I never know when I might just have to blast off in a plane not my own.

I'm still a student for a wee bit longer, but I do keep mine in my logbook. I also keep an electronic copy of my logbook on Google Docs (not scanned - manually type everything in). Finally, I keep my paper logbook in my flight bag.

And that's a problem how?

My log goes with me when I fly.

Sorry, I thought since you mentioned showing it at the fsdo upon request from the faa that this was the plan for dealing with a request to present a certificate that's not at hand.

Sorry, I thought since you mentioned showing it at the fsdo upon request from the faa that this was the plan for dealing with a request to present a certificate that's not at hand.

We must remember that these regulations were written at a time when Paper was the rule of the day.

The ASIs are now carrying lap top computers that can look up almost any thing they really need to know.

Back in the day when Paper certificates were the norm, mine was taped to the inside cover of my log book, right along with my medical, the routine has continued

I have always found the FAA personal willing to work with you as to where and when to present your certificates when they really want to see them. When the FAA wants you to surrender them, you will get the certified letter making that request. Never give them up to a field agent, with out that letter.

Like others here I have a pocket taped to the inside back cover of my log book and used to keep it there until this forum and my truck getting broken into last year (lost a Bose headset:sad:) made me realize the dangers of losing my log book, I now keep it in my wallet, I did make a copy for my flight bag.

Same as you, I keep it in my flight bag. Since it's also my certificate as I'm still a student, I don't want to take the chance of not having it with me. :D

Because I'm a student it is taped in my log book (at the recommendation of the AME). I'll Probably move it to my wallet after I get my license as others have said keeping it in the log book isn't the best idea.

The Canadian medical and renewals are on pages 16 to 24 of the "Aviation Document", a passport like booklet that includes the basic license, license and permits (including IFR and other ratings and their updates in sticker form). I keep the booklet in my flight bag along with my aircraft keys so it's hard to go flying without the license.

As for my logbook, I use two electronic logs, on my iPhone and one on my MAC, that are both backed up to my home backup system and the cloud every day. No paper copy.

Ron, I know the Restricted Radio permit is good for a lifetime, but will they recognize one issued in 1974? I'm headed to Alaska. Later this summer and need to fly across that foreign land called Canada. I have not found any reference on the FCC pages other than how to spend $$ to get a new one.
The folks in the Turks & Caicos were happy with my 1969-vintage one. However, the Canadians don't require it, so it definitely won't be an issue on your trip unless there is an FCC person waiting for you when you land in Alaska coming out of Canadian airspace, and I've never heard of that.

There is no requirement to show your medical to any one but the FAA, and they will give you an opportunity to present it at FSDO. but they will not do that, because they can look it up.
Some individual inspectors may allow that, but that's not in accordance with either the regulation or the Inspector's handbook. You might get away with that once by claiming forgetfulness, but don't make a habit of it, and don't tell them you did it deliberately.

And I see you later qualified your statement by saying you do carry the certificate with you in your logbook. That is fine as long as you take it out and present it upon request. However, if the inspector sees your logbook in that process, the next undeniable request may be to inspect that logbook, and I'd rather not have that without time to review it carefully for any errors or omissions. And that doesn't even begin to address the possibility of loss or damage to that logbook, which is far less replaceable than the certificates.

So, certificates in my wallet, logbook safe at home.

Last edited:
The ASIs are now carrying lap top computers that can look up almost any thing they really need to know.
That is not to my knowledge true.

I have always found the FAA personal willing to work with you as to where and when to present your certificates when they really want to see them. When the FAA wants you to surrender them, you will get the certified letter making that request. Never give them up to a field agent, with out that letter.
"Surrender" means they keep the certificates, and there is a long process to do that, including you signing papers agreeing to the surrender. "Present" means handing them to the inspector for examination, and the inspector is required to hand them back when the inspection is complete. If you refuse to had them over for that examination, you get in trouble. If the inspector refuses to hand them back after the inspection, the inspector gets in trouble.

I cut up a manilla folder to have a credit card sized little insert for my wallet, and had that laminated...my medical and other important documents stay in there, completely shielded from the hostile environment that paper living in a wallet faces.

Lol, sounds like a quest! 20+ years of folding them direct into the wallet has always rendered a usable copy even after going in the water and drying out multiple times.

That is not to my knowledge true.
Within the past year or so the FAA has completed compliance inspections on two aircraft I service, so the FSDO check ride pilots could do 709 rides in them.

Both inspectors had their lap top with them. (both times)

I do not know if the FAA requires them to or not, both computers had government inventory stickers on them.

pretty much normal routine now days.

Within the past year or so the FAA has completed compliance inspections on two aircraft I service, so the FSDO check ride pilots could do 709 rides in them.

Both inspectors had their lap top with them. (both times)

I do not know if the FAA requires them to or not, both computers had government inventory stickers on them.

pretty much normal routine now days.
When doing certification rides, the examiner needs a computer to do the IACRA work. It is not to my knowledge required for routine surveillance, as the surveillee is required to have the required documents with him/her, and allowing that pilot to go on his/her merry way without them after the Inspector checks them on line is not something the Inspector is required to do -- that is only a courtesy, and one which a bad attitude may cause the Inspector to decline to extend.

Some individual inspectors may allow that, but that's not in accordance with either the regulation or the Inspector's handbook. You might get away with that once by claiming forgetfulness, but don't make a habit of it, and don't tell them you did it deliberately.

And I see you later qualified your statement by saying you do carry the certificate with you in your logbook. That is fine as long as you take it out and present it upon request. However, if the inspector sees your logbook in that process, the next undeniable request may be to inspect that logbook, and I'd rather not have that without time to review it carefully for any errors or omissions. And that doesn't even begin to address the possibility of loss or damage to that logbook, which is far less replaceable than the certificates.

So, certificates in my wallet, logbook safe at home.

I have never had a problem presenting my log to any inspector, all they are going to do is look at it. If you keep it up to date, why should you they have a problem?

These inspectors are not out witch hunting. they are simply trying to get a "X" in the block on their activity sheet.

I have never had a problem presenting my log to any inspector, all they are going to do is look at it. If you keep it up to date, why should you they have a problem?
You shouldn't, but why take the risk of that, not to mention the risk of losing it?
These inspectors are not out witch hunting. they are simply trying to get a "X" in the block on their activity sheet.
Absolutely, so don't do anything which will get them more interested in you, like not having your required papers on hand for presentation or quibbling over who holds those papers during inspection.

When doing certification rides, the examiner needs a computer to do the IACRA work. It is not to my knowledge required for routine surveillance, as the surveillee is required to have the required documents with him/her, and allowing that pilot to go on his/her merry way without them after the Inspector checks them on line is not something the Inspector is required to do -- that is only a courtesy, and one which a bad attitude may cause the Inspector to decline to extend.

I was not talking about the examiner, these were two airworthiness inspectors, checking the aircraft's airworthiness.

Every ASI that I have met were polite, courteous, and very professional I speak from my experiences with the mechanical / airworthiness side of FSDO, I very seldom,if ever see a check ride pilot in action, so what they do or are required to do is a mystery to me.

You shouldn't, but why take the risk of that, not to mention the risk of losing it?

What risk? When you have a problem wouldn't you like to know about it?

, so don't do anything which will get them more interested in you, like not having your required papers on hand for presentation or quibbling over who holds those papers during inspection.

Yes like every thing in aviation, it's about attitude.

What risk? When you have a problem wouldn't you like to know about it?
Yes, but I'd rather find it myself, not have the FAA point it out to me, even in a friendly manner. But that still doesn't address the loss potential.

Yes, but I'd rather find it myself, not have the FAA point it out to me, even in a friendly manner. But that still doesn't address the loss potential.

There are a lot of folks that wouldn't know they had a discrepancy in their log until the inspector noted it.

And why would you loose it handing it to the inspector?

or loose it any quicker than your wallet.

If you do loose it, OH WELL deal with it, and learn to take better care of your valuables.

If you are soooooo stupid that you can't take care of your log book, I don't know if you should be flying.

61.3 says you've got to have it with you:

(c) Medical certificate. (1) A person may serve as a required pilot flight crewmember of an aircraft only if that person holds the appropriate medical certificate issued under part 67 of this chapter, or other documentation ac- ceptable to the FAA, that is in that person’s physical possession or readily accessible in the aircraft.

Further section (i) says not just the FAA but also any other law enforcement, TSA, or NTSB.

The FAA has dinged people for not having the medical certificate IN THEIR POSSESSION, although they relented on that meaning somewhere in the plane.

Further section (i) says not just the FAA but also any other law enforcement, TSA, or NTSB.

The FAA has dinged people for not having the medical certificate IN THEIR POSSESSION, although they relented on that meaning somewhere in the plane.

Here's the whole thing, where does 61.3 say that?

(c) Medical certificate. (1) A person may serve as a required pilot flight crewmember of an aircraft only if that person holds the appropriate medical certificate issued under part 67 of this chapter, or other documentation acceptable to the FAA, that is in that person's physical possession or readily accessible in the aircraft. Paragraph (c)(2) of this section provides certain exceptions to the requirement to hold a medical certificate.

(2) A person is not required to meet the requirements of paragraph (c)(1) of this section if that person—

(i) Is exercising the privileges of a student pilot certificate while seeking a pilot certificate with a glider category rating, a balloon class rating, or glider or balloon privileges;

(ii) Is exercising the privileges of a student pilot certificate while seeking a sport pilot certificate with other than glider or balloon privileges and holds a U.S. driver's license;

(iii) Is exercising the privileges of a student pilot certificate while seeking a pilot certificate with a weight-shift-control aircraft category rating or a powered parachute category rating and holds a U.S. driver's license;

(iv) Is exercising the privileges of a sport pilot certificate with glider or balloon privileges;

(v) Is exercising the privileges of a sport pilot certificate with other than glider or balloon privileges and holds a U.S. driver's license. A person who has applied for or held a medical certificate may exercise the privileges of a sport pilot certificate using a U.S. driver's license only if that person—

(A) Has been found eligible for the issuance of at least a third-class airman medical certificate at the time of his or her most recent application; and

(B) Has not had his or her most recently issued medical certificate suspended or revoked or most recent Authorization for a Special Issuance of a Medical Certificate withdrawn.

(vi) Is holding a pilot certificate with a balloon class rating and is piloting or providing training in a balloon as appropriate;

(vii) Is holding a pilot certificate or a flight instructor certificate with a glider category rating, and is piloting or providing training in a glider, as appropriate;

(viii) Except as provided in paragraph (c)(2)(vii) of this section, is exercising the privileges of a flight instructor certificate, provided the person is not acting as pilot in command or as a required pilot flight crewmember;

(ix) Is exercising the privileges of a ground instructor certificate;

(x) Is operating an aircraft within a foreign country using a pilot license issued by that country and possesses evidence of current medical qualification for that license; or

(xi) Is operating an aircraft with a U.S. pilot certificate, issued on the basis of a foreign pilot license, issued under §61.75, and holds a medical certificate issued by the foreign country that issued the foreign pilot license, which is in that person's physical possession or readily accessible in the aircraft when exercising the privileges of that airman certificate.

(xii) Is a pilot of the U.S. Armed Forces, has an up-to-date U.S. military medical examination, and holds military pilot flight status.

Show me where the regulations say the medical must be shown to LEO.

TSA can pretty much throw you in jail for any reason they can think of just like the Gestapo

The FAA Says to have it, but why would they ask for it?

LEO's for the most part probably don't even know you need one.

There are a lot of folks that wouldn't know they had a discrepancy in their log until the inspector noted it.
Exactly why you don't want the inspector doing the double-check of your log. Better that the Inspector tells you to bring it in, and you and someone really knowledgeable go over it first.

And why would you loose it handing it to the inspector?
I didn't say you would. But you've got a lot greater chance of losing it when carrying it around than when it's at home.

or loose it any quicker than your wallet.
I've never lost my wallet. I have lost my logbook when thieves broke into my car and stole my nav bag containing my logbook.

f you are soooooo stupid that you can't take care of your log book, I don't know if you should be flying.
I would have to agree that I was stupid to carry my logbook around with me unnecessarily rather than keeping it safe at home. But I learned from that bad decision 41 years ago, and that's why I haven't stupidly carried it around unnecessarily or lost it since then.

Last edited:
The wording was changed from "possession" to "personal possession" some years back when a pilot beat the rap for not having it with him because the papers were kept in a safe deposit box. Under the law, something is in your "possession" when you have it where nobody else can get to it -- they can bust you for possession of drugs or stolen property if you have it in your safe deposit box. Since the FAA wanted those papers with you when you fly, they changed it to "personal possession," which means "on your person." That was then argued as being overly restrictive since there's no reason to bust a pilot just because her purse isn't over her shoulder. Hence, the current wording.

Here's the whole thing, where does 61.3 say that?
Right here:

(c) Medical certificate. (1) A person may serve as a required pilot flight crewmember of an aircraft only if that person holds the appropriate medical certificate issued under part 67 of this chapter, or other documentation acceptable to the FAA, that is in that person's physical possession or readily accessible in the aircraft. Paragraph (c)(2) of this section provides certain exceptions to the requirement to hold a medical certificate.
If you can't produce it without gonig any farther than the plane you were flying, you aren't in compliance with 61.3(c)(1).

Exactly why you don't want the inspector doing the double-check of your log. Better that the Inspector tells you to bring it in, and you and someone really knowledgeable go over it first.

I didn't say you would. But you've got a lot greater chance of losing it when carrying it around than when it's at home.

I've never lost my wallet. I have lost my logbook when thieves broke into my car and stole my nav bag containing my logbook.

II would have to agree that I was stupid to carry my logbook around with me unnecessarily rather than keeping it safe at home. But I learned from that bad decision 41 years ago, and that's why I haven't stupidly carried it around unnecessarily or lost it since then.

Aren't CFIs teaching students to make correct entries? If so why would their be any mistakes that would really matter to the FAA?

If you are in violation due to not having the proper endorsements you are still going to be in violation wither or not anyone reviews it or not.

My log book only goes with me when I fly, I should be pretty alert then, my wallet goes every where with me, and is subject to being stollen lost, or ? all the time.

Aren't CFIs teaching students to make correct entries? If so why would their be any mistakes that would really matter to the FAA?
Because pilots are human, and humans make mistakes.

If you are in violation due to not having the proper endorsements you are still going to be in violation wither or not anyone reviews it or not.
That's true, if that's what the violation is for. There are other possibilities.

My log book only goes with me when I fly, I should be pretty alert then, my wallet goes every where with me, and is subject to being stollen lost, or ? all the time.
Not everyone has the luxury of being able to plan that far ahead. And I had been flying the day my car was broken into; I just stopped on the way home.

I just stopped on the way home.

Must be the luck of the draw...

do like they do in Spain, leave nothing in your car, and leave it unlocked with out the keys in it, The thief will open inspect and do no damage, lock it and they break in.

Because pilots are human, and humans make mistakes.

That's true, if that's what the violation is for. There are other possibilities.

Like what?

why can't you simply ask, "Can I catch it up first?"

because if you just landed, I'll bet your log isn't up to date.

The big Boogy man you make there FAA out to be is mostly an opinion I don't agree with.

Flying an antique I'm a ASI magnet, I've yet been asked to show any thing but my aircraft, The question is mostly " can we look" and in most cases every thing is in plain sight.

I don't know if that constitutes a ramp check, but there has never been a problem with inspectors want to do more than help.

If you don't want problems be legal. make it easy on every body.

That does not require you to show it to a LEO. it says you must have it.
You're right -- the part that says you have to show it to an LEO on request is in paragarph (l):
(l) Inspection of certificate. Each person who holds an airman certificate, medical certificate, authorization, or license required by this part must present it and their photo identification as described in paragraph (a)(2) of this section for inspection upon a request from:

(1) The Administrator;
(2) An authorized representative of the National Transportation Safety Board; or
(3) Any Federal, State, or local law enforcement officer. (4) An authorized representative of the Transportation Security Administration.
But it is definitely in that section.

You're right -- the part that says you have to show it to an LEO on request is in paragarph (l):
But it is definitely in that section.

OK, Finally !

That's why you are the FAR god, :) I read past it,

Last edited:
Back