Where do I start? = Past use SSRI

I

I_Want_To_Fly

I have been lurking on this board for a while now but I still do not have the answers I need regarding past SSRI use.

A little background. I am 38 years old, healthy, successful at work, at home, and in the community. It would be no problem for me to produce several high profile character witnesses. I am contemplating a career change to that of a professional pilot but I know the advice is to seek a first class medical prior to initiating training. I did a consult with an AME and the conversation was great until the question of “have you ever” been diagnosed with a mental health disorder.

When I was 17 and in high school, I was having a bit of a rough go. My parents took me to the pediatrician I had been seeing since I was an infant. He thought I was having some mild anxiety and put me on a low dose of Lexapro. I continued with this dose for about 2.5 years until I no longer felt I needed it. It may have helped me at the time but I may not have needed it either.

Having read nearly every post here and on Redditt regarding SSRI use, I know my initial medical will be deferred. I can get any statements I need from my current doctor but it will be impossible to get records from 21 years ago. My pediatrician has long since retired and eventually passed away. I do not live in the same state anymore and would not even know whom to call. This was my one and only event and I was never suicidal. I have not filled out any paperwork with the FAA and I know not passing a medical mean denial for all types of flying. So where do I start?

Start by making an appointment with a senior AME who specializes in tough cases for a consultation. Remember, it's not the prescription that will initially be disclosed, but the diagnosis. During this consultation, you will discuss your diagnosis and treatment and what records he might need from 20 years ago, and what current exams and records you might need. You will also discuss any other potential issues you might have.

Do not actually have a live medical exam until you and her are satisfied you know the path to certification.

If you contact an AME and he's unwilling to do a consultation, move on to the next one.

Bad idea.
I have yet to read about a concrete example of someone getting caught for diagnosis over 20 years ago. If the FAA had this power, they wouldn’t need to ask you to fill out the form.

I have yet to read about a concrete example of someone getting caught for diagnosis over 20 years ago. If the FAA had this power, they wouldn’t need to ask you to fill out the form.
Bad idea.

Back