Where do airliner A&P's look for work?

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
My cousin's husband is an experienced A&P mechanic looking for work. They relocated from Washington to Denver (where his family is) after recent Boeing layoffs, but the work search in Denver has been awful. While they could relocate, they'd REALLY like to stay in Colorado (or nearby) if they can find some work for him there. He went from $20+/hour down to $9.50. He's doing Diesel mechanic work instead of A&P stuff because the market is so dry.

Question: Where do A&P mechanics look for work? I'm trying to help find leads for them. Here's what my cousin says about his experience:

"[He] has been attempting to find any airline out at DIA that is hiring airframe and powerplant mechanics. He worked for BF Goodrich (Tramco) in Everett before Boeing doing C & D checks on mostly Boeing (and I think a few Airbus) aircraft. He has never worked on little planes at all just 777, 727 ect. [He] has been putting out resumes for a year and a half so I would be happy to accept any little feelers you want to send out!"

Anybody with suggestions, please feel free to email me directly: troy@whistman.com

Has he considered working on small planes, just for a time? Certainly would have to beat the diesel mechanic gig $ wise. I'd expect he could at least get back to $15/hr., maybe more. I know some local FBO's around here charge $40/hr (which is a bunch cheaper than car dealerships!) and I'd imagine the wrench would get at least close to half.

On another point, I liked the T-Roy avitar, but I like the old/current one better. Also notice you had none for a short time. ?

T Bone said:
Has he considered working on small planes, just for a time? Certainly would have to beat the diesel mechanic gig $ wise. I'd expect he could at least get back to $15/hr., maybe more. I know some local FBO's around here charge $40/hr (which is a bunch cheaper than car dealerships!) and I'd imagine the wrench would get at least close to half.

That's a good idea... I'll see what he thinks about that. He absolutely detests what he's doing now, but does it because he loves his kids! You dads know how that goes... any job is "dignified" if it means you are taking care of your family.

T Bone said:
On another point, I liked the T-Roy avitar, but I like the old/current one better. Also notice you had none for a short time. ?

Semi-long story: At a family gathering last weekend, one of the kids came up and said "HEY, TEE-ROY!!!" as a greeting, then his creative spark made his eyes light up and he said I should put my head on a T-Rex, make a T-shirt that says "T-Roy". I did it to humor him. I needed an "angry" picture of me, and didn't have one, so it looked kind of silly. So I deleted it from my avitar, and the 100px B&W cockpit shot was on a different computer--I had to wait til I was there to upload it.

Thanks for the feedback!!

UPS hires a lot of 'em around here (Louisville).

I agree that he might want to get into the small aircraft business. And if he would take the time to learn to do fabric work he could do very well with that and annuals. It is hard to find good tube and fabric technicans. There is also engine overhauls. So have him go talk to IA's who have established business or even think about starting his own. The world can alway us another good IA/AP.

sere

Thanks guys... the GA A&P, engine overhaul, tube & fabric specialty, annual inspections idea is a good one. That's gotta beat working on a Peterbilt or Caterpillar. I've passed it along....

Have him check into the contractors down here in San Antonio at KellyUSA. There's also the old Dee Howard (it's something else now) that does a lot of contract maintenance at SAT. Plus the Cessna Citation shop.

Just out of curiosity, why did he move without having a job lined up? Given how expensive it is to move (not to mention live in Denver, although it can't be worse than Seattle), I'd have thought he'd line up a job before going. I confess I'm a little mystified why people in certain, relatively narrow specialities move to where they want to live without first making sure they can get work there.

Denver is not exactly a hotbed of airline mechanic work, either, it doesn't seem to me. While some of the airlines have hangars for quick repairs, so far as I know, none has their major operations there, although I admit I'm not an expert. At one time, you'd have at least expected United to have a major facility there, but I don't think they do. Does United even has its pilot training facility there any more?

Anyway, good luck to him.

Judy

judypilot said:
Does United even has its pilot training facility there any more?
The sim center is still here - I know a few folks who work there. I also just read that they have contracted for the safety program for one of the new planes coming out...but can't remember if it was Maverick or Adam...

judypilot said:
Just out of curiosity, why did he move without having a job lined up? Given how expensive it is to move (not to mention live in Denver, although it can't be worse than Seattle), I'd have thought he'd line up a job before going. I confess I'm a little mystified why people in certain, relatively narrow specialities move to where they want to live without first making sure they can get work there.

See, that's the danger of only posting PART of the story!

He moved from Tramco (Paine Field) to Boeing, doing inspections on 777's under construction. He did the Section 41/43 major section join inspection.

When he got laid off from Boeing, he went back to school for two years and got his ATA degree in Diesel technology. Was offered a job in Commerce City, CO for Transwest Diesel and his family made the big move from Washington in June of 04. They (Transwest) never got the big summer rush that they were expecting and laid him off three months later. Uggh!!

So now he is working for Caterpillar Engine Systems in Aurora CO and quite unhappy. He does not love working on trucks the way he LOVED working on airplanes. He desperately wants to get back on as an A&P mechanic in aviation somewhere so he and his family are biding their time waiting for the market to open back up.

So, in short, he didn't move there without work...

judypilot said:
Denver is not exactly a hotbed of airline mechanic work, either, it doesn't seem to me. While some of the airlines have hangars for quick repairs, so far as I know, none has their major operations there, although I admit I'm not an expert. At one time, you'd have at least expected United to have a major facility there, but I don't think they do. Does United even has its pilot training facility there any more?

Not sure about United, but isn't Frontier based in Denver?

$9.50, even $20/hr is an insult. Perhaps your cousin would care to check out the major repair stations, including the civilian contractors.

Troy Whistman said:

Yes Frontier is based at DEN. I would talk to them as well as shops at DEN, APA, FTG and BJC to start. The more he talks to A&P's the more leads he will get. Also, he may want to post a note at some of these airport bulletin boards. There is a lot of bizjet traffic at APA and BJC. FTG is going Class D and will have more bizjets based there as time progresses. They are gearing up to be the next APA.

Troy Whistman said:

You're right (as already pointed out).

Ugh indeed!

Judy

I don't know it anyone has noticed but A&P are in demand in the GA, Repair Stations and part 91 world. In in the San Francisco Bay Area good A&P's are in demand and most shops do not advertise, but rely on word of month. I over see several shops looking help.

I would suggest typing up a one page resume and taking it to every FOB in the area. A good place to start looking for a job is at the local FAA FSDO. The FAA maintenance Inspector tend to have their ear to what is said and who needs help. Where I work at operators contact me all the time and I know it happen at other FDSO's.

The the FSDO and talk to several Maintenance guy and I am sure they will point you in the right direction. FAA guys do not and can not recommend A&P's for a job, but know who to talk with sometimes makes all the difference.

I know in your area there are several part 135 operators and they pay more than GA. With the airline back ground I would suggest looking at all the part 135 guys first.

Stache

Troy Whistman said:
Thanks guys... the GA A&P, engine overhaul, tube & fabric specialty, annual inspections idea is a good one. That's gotta beat working on a Peterbilt or Caterpillar. I've passed it along....

He better check the insurance coverage, before he hangs his shingle out.

most fabric re-cover jobs take half the cash up front, and the other half at completion. most of those jobs require 3-6 months to complete. can he stretch his budget that far?

Stache said:
I don't know it anyone has noticed but A&P are in demand in the GA, Repair Stations and part 91 world. In in the San Francisco Bay Area good A&P's are in demand and most shops do not advertise, but rely on word of month. I over see several shops looking help.

I would suggest typing up a one page resume and taking it to every FOB in the area. A good place to start looking for a job is at the local FAA FSDO. The FAA maintenance Inspector tend to have their ear to what is said and who needs help. Where I work at operators contact me all the time and I know it happen at other FDSO's.

The the FSDO and talk to several Maintenance guy and I am sure they will point you in the right direction. FAA guys do not and can not recommend A&P's for a job, but know who to talk with sometimes makes all the difference.

I know in your area there are several part 135 operators and they pay more than GA. With the airline back ground I would suggest looking at all the part 135 guys first.

Stache

Thanks, Stache, and everybody else, for the GREAT suggestions. They are almost in tears over how y'all are helping with the ideas.

It's what makes POA outstanding... we're like family!!

Back