Where did you place the Push to Command button (GMA350)

TimRF79

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Tim
Getting the GMA350 installed and wanted to see where others have the CTT button installed?
What placements have proven themselves?

I had mine placed center top of panel. My yoke did not have the ability to accommodate one. If I could have done it, I would have had it placed on the right side of the yoke.

I'm having it installed on the right-side of the yoke.

very close to the PTT

there were times when i accidentally pressed the PTT and barked out a command and ATC came back with "Unable" lol

On the right-hand side of the left yoke horn. So, I use my index finger for my "shoot-to-talk" button and my thumb for the push to command. Thought I had a better pic of it, but here's one cropped from another image. PTC is the red button:

IMG_4779.jpg

So I have PTT on the fore, speed brake on the left, PTC on the right, and CWS, autopilot disconnect, and manual trim on the aft of the same yoke horn. The avionics shop told me the PTC was the last thing they're gonna put over there. :rofl:

I'm having it installed on the right-side of the yoke.

Right horn, or the right side of the left horn?

I can say that I've had plenty of buttons on the right horn of the yoke between my own plane and the ones I fly for work, and I *never* use them. Seriously, why put an Ident button on there when the transponder itself is closer to where my right hand usually is already? I use the Timer button in the TBM to monitor starting limits, but I'm moving my left hand over to hit that because my right hand needs to be on the starter switch and then the power lever. There are three other buttons over there - One flip-flops Com2 but I never remember it's there, and the other two... I'd have to look again to even tell you what they are (besides "useless").

Strongly recommend that the PTC button is placed on the left horn of the yoke, or near the throttle quadrant or wherever your right hand will be. Half the value of the voice commands is being able to get information or perform actions WITHOUT moving your hands, so place it accordingly.

Getting the GMA350 installed and wanted to see where others have the CTT button installed?
What placements have proven themselves?

I put mine on the panel. I rarely use it.

a80cd95d59169742e3f30b28a5628a90.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thank you all for the inspiration.
Those not using the PTC so much, why is that/
It seems to me like an excellent thing to use?

once you get used to the most commands you use and there are a ton of them, but in reality you will find a few that you use, you will never go back. i barely touch the 2nd com anymore

thank you all for the inspiration.
Those not using the PTC so much, why is that/
It seems to me like an excellent thing to use?

Probably because the button wasn't placed where a hand already is! The whole point of the voice commands is for that to be the fastest and easiest way to do something. You can literally get to any page in the GTN interface directly - "Show destination airport runways" for example - Which is way faster than pushing Home -> Waypoint Info -> Airport -> Runways or FPL -> <airport> -> Waypoint Info -> Runways.

But, if you have to lift a hand from where it is naturally while you're flying (ie, yoke/throttle) it severely diminishes the usefulness of the voice commands because in many instances - ie, "Show Traffic" which is one of my most frequent commands - It becomes faster to just reach to the GTN and hit Home->Traffic if your hand isn't near the button already.

Back