Where can one tour a Control Tower ?

IlyaK18

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
IlyaK18
Hello all,
Would anyone know where I can get a tour of a tower. I live in the NYC area, so any airport in the neighboring states would be great. I know they have events and seminars that give the tours, so if anyone knows of such event coming up please let me know . Thank you!

They really don't "give tours." You can usually get a tour of any control tower except at a Bravo airport. So, just call up the tower (at White Plains or Danbury or Morristown or Caldwell or Islip or Farmingdale) and ask if you can come over. If you cannot find the phone number easily, call a FBO on the field and ask for the number. I have never been turned away when just going to the base of a Delta tower, pressing the intercom, and asking if I can come up.

Once there, the one or two guys (almost always) will continue their work and also show you around their equipment. You'll be surprised how out-of-date they are. You probably shouldn't stay longer than a half-hour. I like to bring a tin of cookies or box of chocolates. But that is me.

Last edited:
My EAA chapter toured KRIC. It was really cool. We just called and arranged a time.

call the tower and ask if they can let you check it out. i've only been to one tower and it was JFK about 5 months ago. a guy at my church who just retired from the tower took us up and also took us to the TRACON building. it was an awesome experience. The controllers were super friendly and they took time to answer my questions after they were done giving vectors and headings of course! i'm sure if you go to KFRG, KISP, and other local towers, they will find time to accommodate you

Toured KPWK....once I set up a call myself, other time was with a flight school. Toured KDPA with a flight school.....maybe call a local school and see if they have any tours coming up

I know my CFI gave kids tour of the tower at FRG and I've known other students who have toured it with their CFIs. Ask your CFI if they can take you to your local tower. Another CFI at my school works for the TRACON and has offered to give me a tour but I haven't taken him up on it yet. Shame on me.

A few years ago, my aviation professor gave our entire class a tour of the control tower at Republic Airport when I was in my first semester at Farmingdale State. It was cool.

Even a few more years before that, Morristown Airport had an open house and let us tour the Morristown Airport control tower.

So yes, a tour of a control tower can be done.

My wife and I (girlfriend at the time) got to tour the KSAF tower. We were sitting there looking at the door (its inside the terminal) and I said "Hmm....wonder if they'd let us in?" So I called, and they walked us up and showed us around.

Easy peasy.

If you are a pilot . . . I have a deal for you . . .

Fly to New Bedford, MA. EWB. A nice trip most VFR days.

Call the control tower in advance to make sure they have people assigned that can handle a tour. By calling ahead of time you will know there is availability of time and staff - plus - they have GREAT restaurant on the field . . . kill 2 birds with one store.

Got a tour of Honolulu Control Facility (joint civil/military) including the simulator room and tracon a few months ago. Pretty cool to watch the 3D simulation (350 degree wraparound screens) and then go up to see how the real thing compares.

Back