Where am I?

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
I play a little game with my 777 pilot friend, and he's got me stumped with this one. He sends me photos of airports, gives me clues, I try to figure out where they are. This one has me stumped. I've pulled up a list of all military bases in the US and have examined each one that's in the desert southwest using Google Earth, and I just can't find this one or figure out what it is. What do you guys / gals think? Maybe it's not military...

777 Captain said:
The third one (airport in the desert) is along the route from DFW to the Oakland area. See if you can figure it out. Hint: you can't land there.

Attachments

• KIX 090906 0141.jpg
    KIX 090906 0141.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 45
  • KIX 090906 0171.jpg
    KIX 090906 0171.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 49
It doesn't look like it. The runways at Groom Lake are at a bit of an angle to the adjacent buildings.

FlyNE said:
It doesn't look like it. The runways at Groom Lake are at a bit of an angle to the adjacent buildings.
Your right and the lake is right up against the industrial area at Groom Lake

it looks more like a neighbor of Area 51, Tonopah Test Range, also in Nevada.
http://www.dreamlandresort.com/info/tonopah.htm
Scroll down a ways and you will see an arial shoot that matches this place exactly

300px-Jfader_tonopah_airfield2.jpg

smigaldi said:
Your right and the lake is right up against the industrial area at Groom Lake

it looks more like a neighbor of Area 51, Tonopah Test Range, also in Nevada.
http://www.dreamlandresort.com/info/tonopah.htm
Scroll down a ways and you will see an arial shoot that matches this place exactly

300px-Jfader_tonopah_airfield2.jpg

That does appear to be it, Scott... I spent some time looking around Area 51, that was my first guess, but didn't find anything. THANK YOU!

There is no way that is Groom Lake. The runway layout is wrong. There are too few runways and no remnants of former runways.

That is likely someplace in the White Sands Missile Range area, possibly in Nellis Air Force Base, but not Groom Lake.

SkyHog said:
There is no way that is Groom Lake. The runway layout is wrong. There are too few runways and no remnants of former runways.

That is likely someplace in the White Sands Missile Range area, possibly in Nellis Air Force Base, but not Groom Lake.

We already figured it out, it is Tonopah NW of Groom Lake

oh...my bad. I missed that (and I read this thread many times. Chalk it up to being tired).

Back