Wherdja' fly this weekend?

I took my grandmother to Atlantic City for her 90th birthday. She was wound up! When I did the runup she heard the engines rev and she yelled "Let's ride!!" I was one of the best times I've ever had! It all ended with a blown tire on landing back at KFRG and I just dealt with it, but now to her, I'm a hero pilot.

Last edited:
Took an ex girlfriend to Santa Monica for dinner at The Hump. I hadn't been there before, and had heard that it was the best Sushi/Japanese restaurant on the west coast. I can say now that this isn't an exaggeration. If you're ever in LA, and if you like Japanese, you have to try Omakase there. It's pricey ($250/person), but absolutely amazing. By far the best dining experience I've ever had, and I've had quite a few.

Oh, we got there right as the sun set over the ocean and sadly didn't finish dinner until after 11pm when the airport curfew goes into effect. Poor planning, I guess :D

-Felix

Felix, if she is still your ex after all this, what's wrong with her? :p

As for me, I was at 6Y9 Friday through Monday.

I flew from Waukesha (KUES) to Dubuque (KDBQ) on Sunday, in what was the smoothest air (at least at 6,500 and 5,500 ft) that I've ever flown it. It was choppy below 3,000, but above that it was glass smooth. What a great flight!

My son and I flew the Cub to Grants Pass, Oregon (3S8) this weekend to visit my dad. A couple of weeks ago I spent a week there with my dad in the hospital, wondering if he would make it through. Thankfully he is now at home and doing better, gradually stronger by the day.

The trip home was against a bumpy headwind, averaging 67.5 knots over the 189NM. But we enjoyed the flight and had a wonderful father-son time together.

P1040627.JPG
P1040629.JPG
P1040636.JPG

What a great weekend for flying here in PA! I stayed on the ground Saturday as my student flew solo and I spent time with my sweetheart (The Pittsburgh Renaissance Festival is underway).

Sunday evening I washed the Skipper and coaxed my wife back into an airplane (it's been over a year). She was a bit anxious but the late afternoon air was smooth as glass. I flew over some local landmarks and the sunset was spectacular and I greased it in after a short 1/2 hour in the air.

On Monday I logged 6.3 Hours -- 4.2 from FWQ to GSO and back (IMC from southern WVa to NC and back, but CAVU in northern WV and PA), and then two Discovery flights in the Skipper as well as repositioning the Skipper to and from the Discovery flight airport.

When I returned to FWQ the Met Life blimp had just arrived. It's here for the Steeler game this Sunday.

I had a great weekend
Gosh Dave, you were busy!

Saturday I flew to Miami County to meet Kim. Barb flew her Cessna 172 up with me and Kim flew her Birddog down. It was nice flying with women to meet another woman. We all enjoyed being with and flying with the girls.

Monday Tom and I went fishing at our lake (the one that is on final for Runway 3 here) and caught enough fish for several meals. Yummmmm...Tom fries them up so good!

Attachments

• Girls fly to WeB 010 e (Large).JPG
    Girls fly to WeB 010 e (Large).JPG
    279.9 KB · Views: 20
  • Girls fly to We B Smokin.JPG
    Girls fly to We B Smokin.JPG
    109.9 KB · Views: 23
  • Labor Day fish 2.jpg
    Labor Day fish 2.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 22
The wife and I flew up from our home strip to John C. Tune (KJWN) just outside of Nashville, TN.

AMAZING flight there, smooth as silk, cruising at 8500', my beautiful lady by my side.

Great eats at the fly-in, got to see Mom, Dad, brother, and nephew.

Now the flight back was not as fun. The first outer cloud-bands from Gustav kept us at 3500' getting bumped for the two hour ride back. Must not have been too bad though consider the wife slept part of the way home!

Now the flight back was not as fun. The first outer cloud-bands from Gustav kept us at 3500' getting bumped for the two hour ride back. Must not have been too bad though consider the wife slept part of the way home!

We flew through the outer bands of Gustav to and from GSO in NC and it was surprisingly smooth...

We left Saturday with the Malibu and dropped 2 of my kids off at their schools. Our first stop was Buffalo, NY for the boy. On Sunday we flew onto Albany NY for the girl. We got back at 9:15 last night, children installed (mission completed). No weather until MO and KS, the cool OAT back home was a big surprise. A nice weekend but a sad empty nest for mom and dad.

Kevin

Just went out and practiced commercial maneuvers for 2hrs on Monday. Clear blue sky, just me and my plane. Fun.

Was up with the instructor Saturday and Sunday. Saturday's clouds weren't great, but we managed to stay local and do some hood work. Sunday was a much nicer day and we flew down to Hammonton (N81) and then through ACY's Class C to Ocean City (26N). Nice little airport; I'll definitely be flying in next summer after I have my PPL. On the way back we decided to stay low along the shore for a while, then up to 4500 and over Lakehurst on the way back.

Felix: This thread (or, at the very least your participation in it) is well and truly useless without pics. C'mon, we're all friends...

Diana: Is that a picture of Kim's foot? Nice lookin' foot!

As for me (us), we flew to T82 (Fredericksburg), and played with sudden-pop-up thunderstorms on the way there. Never were in more than light rain, but we could see extreme precip with cloud-to-ground lightning off our left wing several times.

Flying home Monday, we listened while a lost student in a 152 called "Mayday," and got helped. He was lost, lost, lost, but maintained his composure and called while he still had plenty of fuel to get found again.

Attachments

• ADS-T82 8 29 08.gif
    ADS-T82 8 29 08.gif
    40.1 KB · Views: 19
Cool! Thanks for sharing.
Oh! I almost forgot the big aviation event for us - we finally flew the 'airplane that arrived in ziplock bags and cardboard boxes'... a likeable old C150.

Ann Arbor to visit friends. Went VFR with flight following (the long way around Chicago, not over the lake) but one segment made it into flightaware.

The flying was great. When I was at the FBO at KARB (The Aviation Center), I tried to buy a bottle of water to take with me, but the staff didn't have the key. A pilot who was there offered me a ride to 7-11 to get one. He'd been up with his wife in a 182 taking pictures of her school, they were waiting for it to cool off before a flight in a 180. He flies 747s for Northwest to pay for the fun flights. It was nice to chat with him, and his generosity in offering the ride was appreciated. Seems like the nicest people hang out at the airport :)

--david

Felix: This thread (or, at the very least your participation in it) is well and truly useless without pics. C'mon, we're all friends...
I think she'd kill me if I posted a pic....or if she found out that this thread existed :hairraise:

FWIW, weekend after next (Sept 12-14) we'll be at the Lakeview on Mackinac Island. Any PoAers in the area, stop on by! Week after that, we'll be in Scottsdale at a conference. Need to look into plane rental in the area! :yes:

Seems to me if you're spending $250 per plus time and travel, there must be something there.
BTW: What did you do AFTER curfew?
Well, we had to get back to Sacramento early the next day, so we only had 7 hours or so to waste. At the time, it didn't seem like it would make sense to get a hotel, so we rented a car and drove up to Big Bear. After a few hours, that became boring and we got tired, so.... Had a nice flight back the next morning, though. It's almost exactly two hours between Sacramento and Santa Monica/LA.

Sorry Dave, I promise to be less of a thread hijacker from now on :yes:

-Felix

A little late to the conversation, but we went from Denver to Rapid City and back. Saw Mt. Rushmore, Sturgis, Deadwood, and the Badlands.

Nice.

I finished off my trip - Friday was Bryce Canyon to Denver (KBCE-KFOM-D17-KAJZ-KLXV-KAPA-KFTG), Saturday was Denver to home (KFTG-KFMZ-KLNK-KAHQ-KRDK-C29), and Sunday was to take the plane back to its home (KMSN-C29).

KBED-KASH-N79-W22-KJWM-0M0-KGKY in a 182. 12.8 on the hobbs, over two days.

Loved Nashville. That was my first trip down there. I'm gonna have to go back.

Back