When's grass too soft?

dmccormack

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dan Mc
Any rules of thumb or other sage advice from you seasoned turf fliers?

I chickened out last week -- taxiied on the grass and it took 1500 RPM to keep rolling. I didn't see wheel ruts where I'd been, but I assumed the landing rollout would be uncomfortably abrupt.

I'm not "seasoned", but if I'm leaving ruts or anything more than slight depressions I'll hold off for the sake of the runway.

Our runway is occasionally closed in the spring, this year it was just NOTAM'd "SOFT". Soft meant you left ruts and the mud sprayed up and on the wings. I used it once and decided to wait - the landing wasn't more abrupt than you'd expect, and I'm rolling on small tires.

If you aren't leaving any depressions, I'd fly.

Tim

I chickened out last week -- taxiied on the grass and it took 1500 RPM to keep rolling. I didn't see wheel ruts where I'd been, but I assumed the landing rollout would be uncomfortably abrupt.

I'm not "seasoned", but if I'm leaving ruts or anything more than slight depressions I'll hold off for the sake of the runway.

Our runway is occasionally closed in the spring, this year it was just NOTAM'd "SOFT". Soft meant you left ruts and the mud sprayed up and on the wings. I used it once and decided to wait - the landing wasn't more abrupt than you'd expect, and I'm rolling on small tires.

If you aren't leaving any depressions, I'd fly.

Tim

Good point -- even small ruts seem to last forver once the ground dries out.

I'm rolling on 6.00x6

Take it from me... Ruts on a grass strip is a pain to deal with... I did it to my own private airstrip and cussed myself most of the summer as I worked to fix them.

Ben

I had an old timer chide me: don't land on anything you wouldn't walk across in your Sunday shoes. This was advice offered to neophytes in tricycle gear airplanes with 6x6s so perhaps you could be more liberal in your Chief?

It was attributed to Field Morey or his dad, for you Wisconsin-ites.

Not sure how I would assess this from the air? Offered as quaint, if not helpful.

The tailwheel can cut deep furrows in the turf when the plane changes direction, especially during taxi. Cedar Mills Marina uses a lot of sand each year to repair the divots.

Primary consideration: Don't rut the runway

Secondary consideration: How's your soft field technique, including go/no-go decision points? At 1500 rpm to keep moving, you're substantially affecting your takeoff and landing distances.

If you're using good soft field technique, it's gotta be REALLY soft to cause serious problems landing...but as always, it's best to ease up to the precipice rather than running full-tilt and hoping you can stop in time :yikes:

David

Unfortunately, any grass is too soft when dealing with our club's planes. Paved runways only. Drat!

Primary consideration: Don't rut the runway

Secondary consideration: How's your soft field technique, including go/no-go decision points? At 1500 rpm to keep moving, you're substantially affecting your takeoff and landing distances.

If you're using good soft field technique, it's gotta be REALLY soft to cause serious problems landing...but as always, it's best to ease up to the precipice rather than running full-tilt and hoping you can stop in time :yikes:

David

Soft field landing technique is good since it's the same as my paved landing technique in the Chief -- very slow 3 point touchdown. :D

I prefer to takeoff on the paved runway and land on the grass (best of both worlds).

Making ruts is plenty cause to stay off until its a bit harder. It probably would have worked yesterday morning, but winds were calm so it was the paved runway for me.

The other consideration is that when grass is wet it can be very slick. My home strip is. And, when the runway's soft the grass is typically wet. So you gotta watch out for this too.

My home strip has a nice crown and drains well, I've never seen it too soft. Now the taxiway leading from the hangars to the runway...it's a different story.

Tried it again late this afternoon -- tires were wet and spraying a slight bit of muck, took 1500 RPM to maintain forward motion.

Wasn't making any ruts, though.

I opted for pavement.

:dunno:

Last edited:
Many many moons ago at gaddabout gaddis, I asked by GA CFI what all the little red things were along the side of the grass?

"Those are the Half Bricks"
"They toss 'em out before deciding if it's dry enough to land. If they splash they go away. But they all come back eventually to get their brick".

Many many moons ago at gaddabout gaddis, I asked by GA CFI what all the little red things were along the side of the grass?

"Those are the Half Bricks"
"They toss 'em out before deciding if it's dry enough to land. If they splash they go away. But they all come back eventually to get their brick".

:rofl:

I like this. :thumbsup:

I chickened out landing on a grass strip near our cabin last year for fear of the standing water. On ski's the boys will suggest that you can set down, skim along and take off and then circle back to see if there is water or slush collecting in the grooves. I wasn't sure what to do with really big puddles and wheels so discretion was the better part of valor.

I won't be tossing any bricks but I think I look at this as if "if a brick would make a splash its too mushy ..."

Back