When will they ever learn...

Maybe not serving alcohol in airports and on planes would be a good idea. I've always managed to be able to go without it until getting home or to the hotel. No one needs alcohol when flying.

Always agreed with that 'Dog. But the airlines love the revenue from selling booze on the plane. :(

Maybe not serving alcohol in airports and on planes would be a good idea. I've always managed to be able to go without it until getting home or to the hotel. No one needs alcohol when flying.
Well if I'mma gonna git beaten while jus' sittin' in an airplane then I'da like to be numb...

(it wuz a joke son, I say a joke)

But the airlines love the revenue from selling booze on the plane. :(

Many years ago it was said that the airlines didn't profit from the liquor sales because of the costs involved with cash control, inventorying the stuff, and the frequent "freebies."

I wonder if that is still true now that everything is done on credit/debit cards and the inventory is fairly automatic with the POS device that they use to charge the card.

Also I've noticed when stuck in the back of the bus they record the sale to the seat number, which should make it easier to not "over serve" a passenger.

They profit believe me. OK don't then. ;)

Always agreed with that 'Dog. But the airlines love the revenue from selling booze on the plane. :(
I agree about the booze NOT being sold in airports and on board. If airlines want that revenue, they have to deal with the resulting consequences.

If you are on a wide open sidewalk in public (in most places), you will get arrested for being drunk.
So I can see how it's much better to place the people in a small, cramped, stressful environment and then start pouring.

I agree about the booze NOT being sold in airports and on board. If airlines want that revenue, the flight crew get stuck having to deal with the resulting consequences.

FTFY!

If you are on a wide open sidewalk in public (in most places), you will get arrested for being drunk.
So I can see how it's much better to place the people in a small, cramped, stressful environment and then start pouring.

You betcha! That's the spirt! ;):D

While that would get rid of the issues with drunks that pop up now and then, for the most part it ends up being folks like me who enjoy having a glass of wine or whatever our drink of choice is while on board and not getting unruly. Especially if it's a long flight, that'll help me take a nap while in back.

When I flew charters the drunk passengers were often the best. They tipped well and they usually fell asleep for the flight. But obviously if they got unruly then that would be a problem. Never had that issue - we kept a stacked mini-bar in the back. Normally we flew the guys out in the morning for a meeting, and then in the evening on the flight home they'd open up the bottles.

Keep the booze in the cockpit where it belongs :rolleyes:

Maybe limit drinks to one or two then? We have local liquor stores that have mini-bars in them that do that. They don't want people drunk, or leaving and driving drunk.

Actually my dad does, he has a MAJOR PHOBIA of flying. He doesn't get wasted but he does need a few to calm his nerves. Funny enough he's not scared of GA planes only airlines. I've tried to explain to him he's a million times more likely to die flying with me than an airliner.

I learned pretty quickly as a passenger on airlines that alcohol makes for a bad trip. It dehydrates me when I need more hydration, it makes me (at least beer, I don't really drink mixed drinks much, or hard liquor) urinate a lot more which is no fun on a flight, I get headaches if it wears off. Just nothing good comes of it.
Further, flying today can get complicated, missed connection, going through security...id rather have my wits about me, whatever wits I have left anyway. There is also that one in a million chance of a forced landing, or crash, and then I really do not want to by fuzzy headed, not even a little bit.

For decades now I just never drink at the airport, or on the plane. Other than profit, I can think of no reason they would ven allow it, it is such a dangerous combination, especially for the ones that need "liquid courage" to be able to fly...it may seem to help but they often overdo it I think, and alcohol combined with fear are not good combinations either.

NOT..........SERVE..........ALCOHOL.......?????¿¿¿????!!!!!!????¿¿¿

What the....who the.....what....huh??!!?

So one person gets loaded and the solution is to not serve it to anyone? Yep, sounds about right these days. One person got drunk so that means everyone's an alcoholic.

I have to have a vodka/cranberry on every commercial flight I take or else it will crash. I'm 100% on that so far so please, leave the booze for cryin out loud.

I'm still searching for every single facepalm image on the entire internet to post here.

I'm still searching for every single facepalm image on the entire internet to post here.

Wouldn't be enough.

Fact is, alcohol doesn't cause drunken disorderly conduct, people cause drunken disorderly conduct.
Are we gonna ban all the people?

We do that and then we'll have to ban all the planes because we won't have any people to fly the planes. Then PoA will shut down because there won't be pilots anymore.

You guys are suggesting the beginning of the end.

Last edited:
NOT..........SERVE..........ALCOHOL.......?????¿¿¿????!!!!!!????¿¿¿

What the....who the.....what....huh??!!?

So one person gets loaded and the solution is to not serve it to anyone? Yep, sounds about right these days. One person got drunk so that means everyone's an alcoholic.

I have to have a vodka/cranberry on every commercial flight I take or else it will crash. I'm 100% on that so far so please, leave the booze for cryin out loud.

Just to be clear, I as only giving reasons I wouldn't care at all if they stopped selling alcohol in airports and on the planes. I don't think you are replying to me but just to mention it. That said, you are totally right, and it is always a very small group of people, or small incidents that get lawmakers all hyped up even though there already exist laws that cover it. And the new laws and rules often are written so poorly that they can and are abused.

Take this example. The airlines could cut down the number of incidents relating to alcohol simply by refusing boarding to people too inebriated to fly. On the plane, by cutting them off. If they bring their own, confiscated.

I bet we all have seen folks way past their limit both boarding and being served. I know I have.

I once worked in an IT company with a great win-win policy of letting programmers, employees, receive packages through the company shipping and receiving. They did it because they were wanting to cut down on folks working from home, not coming in because they had to be home to receive a package.

It was all well and good. Employees appreciated it, and th company liked the results. Then one lunkhead had ordered four huge truck tires, delivered to the loading dock and blocking company related incoming.

Their solution, no more packages to employees. I always thought "but isn't that what a "manager" is there for? To manage? Why doesn't he go to lunkheads office and say "hey...come on. Use a little sense or YOU are barred from the service"" but no...everyone lost.

No need to worry anyway, they aren't likely to start banning alcohol in airports or on flights. I did wonder one thing though, in GA flying, can passengers drink? I don't think it would be a great idea, but is it even allowed?

I don't drink when flying, but I'd wager you'd have more problems if you didn't serve alchohol than you do now. Sober alchoholics are not pleasant. Not to mention those that get on edge flying, but a drink relaxes them enough to not be an arse to everyone around them.

Limit one drink per hour per pax seems reasonable.

While that would get rid of the issues with drunks that pop up now and then, for the most part it ends up being folks like me who enjoy having a glass of wine or whatever our drink of choice is while on board and not getting unruly. Especially if it's a long flight, that'll help me take a nap while in back.

Yes, just like the "War on Drugs" which really amounts to a "War on Pain Patients", you are trying to stop the 5% of people who are a problem when in reality you are making life difficult for the 95% of people who are not the problem, but use the substance within medicinal (or for alcohol, recreational) reasonable bounds, while still not solving the problem of the 5%.

Wouldn't be enough.

Fact is, alcohol doesn't cause drunken disorderly conduct, people cause drunken disorderly conduct.
Are we gonna ban all the people?

Truth.

I don't drink when flying, but I'd wager you'd have more problems if you didn't serve alchohol than you do now. Sober alchoholics are not pleasant. Not to mention those that get on edge flying, but a drink relaxes them enough to not be an arse to everyone around them.

Limit one drink per hour per pax seems reasonable.

And the most reasonable post in the whole thread. You do not want to keep actual alcoholics from their alcohol. Forcing an addict into withdrawal during a time of stress (flying) is not a good idea.

I don't drink alcohol at all (maybe once a year on our anniversary) and I don't understand why anyone not an addict, would drink when getting on an airplane for just the reason you say. Getting up to pee during a flight is very unpleasant, with the timing around the service cart, squeezing past people coming the other way, and practically having to sit in the lap of the passenger in the last row while the other guy comes out of the lavatory, I do everything in my power to avoid having to pee on a plane.

But for people who are nervous flying it's the next best thing to a Xanax. Take that away and you'll have more people getting prescriptions from the doctor or suffering anxiety during flights and that's just cruel.

To avoid the sloppy drunk problem yet keep the medicinal value for the majority, I think limiting one drink per hour per pax is a very good solution.

Edit: Sorry, it was LongRoadBob that mentioned urinating as a problem with drinking before a flight. As well as the headaches and fuzzy thinking, are also reasons I shun alcohol in general.

I did wonder one thing though, in GA flying, can passengers drink? I don't think it would be a great idea, but is it even allowed?

I always assumed it is because of rich people GA with the booze cabinets in the cabin. Never thought about two people in the back of a C-172 with an open bottle though.

If I remember my FARs like I almost never do, they can drink, but not be drunk, unless transporting due to emergency.

Funny though that most states have open container laws that are designed to prevent any occupant of a motor vehicle from drinking.

Believe me, I believe in our rights, but it's the flight attendants and pilots who get stuck dealing with someone who never should have been allowed to board. And it's not fun. A lot of gate agents "look the other way" and let the crew deal with it.

Take this example. The airlines could cut down the number of incidents relating to alcohol simply by refusing boarding to people too inebriated to fly. On the plane, by cutting them off. If they bring their own, confiscated.

There is FARs already in place that does just this. I have seen people that were refused boarding because of their state of sobriety. I have never seen a gate agent let one go through so the flight crew has to deal with it.

As a pilot in Alaska I have been asked if a certain inebriated passenger should be allowed to board. Usually I talk to that person and most of the time they agreed that it would be better to wait for another flight.

The crew broke the FARs. They should have dragged him off and zipped tied him to the jet way. As mentioned, it's illegal to transport the already intoxicated.

Wish they'd have done such with a couple on my last flight from MIA->EYW. The two girls that got on the flight had already started their weekend early in the bar and spent most of the flight singing along (off key) with their iPhone. Fortunately it's like a 20 minute flight. Of course, on landing, the Margerita sisters forgot that the ATR42 boarded from the rear and tried to fight their way to the front against everybody else going the "wrong way."

Agree with Eman, not serving alcohol to the majority who never cause problems in order to prevent 1% of those who do is ridiculous. I don't drink on many flights, but I might have a beer with dinner in the terminal. SWA used to send me several free drink vouchers each quarter which I'd use or hand out to other passengers if they were going to expire before I would fly again. I have never had more than one drink on an aircraft, but my flight legs are almost always less than 2 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I remember my FARs like I almost never do, they can drink, but not be drunk, unless transporting due to emergency.
This. No rule against passengers drinking on a GA flight.

I us to fly commercial a lot for work in the 80's and 90's and enjoyed it. Today really dislike commercial air travel and avoid it when I can. Living in Juneau you have two ways out of town, boat or plane so I fly when leaving town. I normally have a drink or two on flights. Unruly passengers have no place on aircraft and should be banned from future flights for a period of time say 1 to 2 years. Maybe doing so would set an example and others would watch their P's and Q's in public

I can't stand loud annoying crying screaming stinky babies, THEY should be permanently banned. At least u can tell a drunk to STFU.

2 drink maximum would fix most of those problems. And adhering to your own policies.

That all depends on the beerholder in question. Alcohol can also magnify an individual's personality traits.

I'm a quiet drunk myself, so I got that goin' for me. :D

Back