When/where to buy IPod??

CJones

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
uHaveNoIdea
My wife has mentioned that she likes the idea of having an IPod.. She spends about 2 hrs per day in her car driving to and from work, so an IPod would be a nice gift I could get her that is actually useful to her..

Since I dropped out of the Computer Engineering world in 2003, I've fallen behind the times on new techie stuff, so obviously I'm pretty much without IPod knowledge. Can someone give me a heads up on where and when to get a good deal on an IPod.. I don't need/want the video IPod, just something pretty tame and user friendly. Who knows, maybe I'll end up with one in my stocking this Christmas if things work out well for her *cough* PilotCast *cough* ;) .

Thanks for any tips,

Chris

Last edited:
There really aren't "deals" to be had. You'll find it $5-10 cheaper here or the other, but nothing is hiding out there. I'd avoid ebay unless you're very sharp in spotting scams. It can be done, but when you take into account scratches and reduced battery life, it's not really worth it.

I'd suggest a Nano. I love mine.

P.S. You don't need an iPod to listen the Pilotcast. You just need anything that will play mp3's. And since you're posting on the board, we know you already have that one covered. :)

If you have any media files already in a format not supported by an Ipod, look at the alternatives. Ipods are proprietary and require you to use THEIR software. I like the Creative, m'self - just plug it in and it works (w/ the drivers installed)

FlyNE said:
There really aren't "deals" to be had. You'll find it $5-10 cheaper here or the other, but nothing is hiding out there. I'd avoid ebay unless you're very sharp in spotting scams. It can be done, but when you take into account scratches and reduced battery life, it's not really worth it.

I'd suggest a Nano. I love mine.

P.S. You don't need an iPod to listen the Pilotcast. You just need anything that will play mp3's. And since you're posting on the board, we know you already have that one covered. :)

Yeah.. I can listen to them at home, or when I happen to be in the office, but most of my time is spent in agricultural heavy machinery, so I need something portable. I'll check out the Nano.

Thanks,
Chris

Greebo said:
If you have any media files already in a format not supported by an Ipod, look at the alternatives. Ipods are proprietary and require you to use THEIR software. I like the Creative, m'self - just plug it in and it works (w/ the drivers installed)

I guess I should have made the post "When/where/WHAT .mp3 player to buy".. I'm not set on the IPod, it just seems to be the 'industry standard', but I HAVE been in Computers enough to realize that that's not always the best 'deal'... I'll check out IPod alternatives as well..

Thanks,
Chris

Greebo said:

Hmm, I just installed a Creative Vision M on my home computer to add to my three iPods. I need the creative for it DRM to play audio books. It was not as easy to install as the iTunes but it was not hard. A couple of clicks and a few minutes of software installation and it worked.

I got a nano and love it. It doesnt have as much memory as others (4 gig compared to 60 or whatever) but if all you are using it for is music that is plenty. The real nice thing is that the Nano is flash memory so when you drop it or drop something on it you are not going to ruin the hard drive.

BTW I have three iPODs. A 4gig mini, 128k shuffle, and a 30gig video.

I bought all but the mini at the Apple store. I thought I was getting a good deal on the mini and bought it off of eBay. I did pay less but the battery life was awful. So I installed a new battery myself and it did not improve. Then when I bought the 30gig video I noticed a new software load for the mini, I installed that and a firmware load into the charger and my battery life improved.

So just be aware when you buy off of some the catalog stores, you might just get something with older software that will require tweaking.

oh and if your wife is going to be listening in the car, I got a FM transmitter thing, iTrip for my nano. It works pretty slick, gotta find a clear frequency though.

Im not sure about iowa, but in Illinois it is illegal to drive with ear buds in, ask me how i know...

smigaldi said:
Hmm, I just installed a Creative Vision M on my home computer to add to my three iPods. I need the creative for it DRM to play audio books. It was not as easy to install as the iTunes but it was not hard. A couple of clicks and a few minutes of software installation and it worked.
Do they have a way to sync it? That shouldn't be hard if they give you a program that just syncs to the iTunes Music folder.

mikea said:
Do they have a way to sync it? That shouldn't be hard if they give you a program that just syncs to the iTunes Music folder.

I synch the Creative to M$ Media player. It is needed with the DRM from the audio book company.

Hey Chris, I use my Nano on the tractor and have had no problems. Just be sure to keep the ear bud cable away from the PTO engagement or you may just rip the ear buds out of your head (don't ask, just take my word for it :D )

kevin47881 said:
Hey Chris, I use my Nano on the tractor and have had no problems. Just be sure to keep the ear bud cable away from the PTO engagement or you may just rip the ear buds out of your head (don't ask, just take my word for it :D )
I often get mine snagged on something or other when I bend down. There are Bluetooth headphones to be had. Someday.

I have a reel/ear bud holder that lets you shorten the cord. I have Shure ear buds that have a really long cord otherwise. So now I have this stoopid plastic reel clipped on, too. Modern technology.

kevin47881 said:

Glad to hear that some other country folk are using the IPods... At least I won't feel TOO bad for putting one in my TerraGator.. Of course, as nice as they're making the cabs of the new equipment, they'll probably have a built-in dock for them pretty soon! They already come XM radio ready w/ air ride cabs and fully pneumatic seats..

My office: http://www.terragator.agcocorp.com/@resource/agcoproductspecs/TG_6103_Cab Information.pdf

They've made long strides since the old John Deere 8630.. haha..

-Chris

I strongly suggest the Creative Labs MP3 players. Its like an IPod in every way, except for the crappy part that forces DRM and requires all of the Apple junk.

Remember - if you have to buy something and then immediately crack it to work properly, its not worth buying.

edit: I forgot, Ipods, like most apple products (forgive me Apple dudes) are insanely overpriced.

Last edited:
SkyHog said:
I strongly suggest the Creative Labs MP3 players. Its like an IPod in every way, except for the crappy part that forces DRM and requires all of the Apple junk.

Remember - if you have to buy something and then immediately crack it to work properly, its not worth buying.
Right, It has the carry part that requires DRM and all of the Microsoft junk.

Did you think that an iPod PUTS DRM on all content? It doesn't.

I know what you mean because I held off buying an iPod for the for very reason of the closed DRM loop.

The DRM only applies to music you buy from from the iTunes Music store. It's not there because Apple wanted it. It's there because the recorded music cartel - all 4 companies - wants it. I have bought exactly $0 worth of music from the iTms. I have some, but I got that for free with Diet Pepsi caps.

Now it does work the other way. You can't play music purchased from the iTms on anything other than iTunes on a computer or an ipod. See above.

Microsoft has exactly the same system with DRM infested WMV files and "Plays for sure" which only plays on Microsoft-licensed players and doesn't play on iPods. It just has no customers in any music store.

In both cases you can get around the DRM by burning a CD and ripping it with the resulting lossy loss in quality.

In both cases blame the RIAA, although at this point Apple likes being thrown in the briar patch.

Last edited:
mikea said:
Right, It has the carry part that requires DRM and all of the Microsoft junk.

Did you think that an iPod PUTS DRM on all content? It doesn't.

I know what you mean because I held off buying an iPod for the for very reason of the closed DRM loop.

The DRM only applies to music you buy from from the iTunes Music store. It's not there because Appel wanted it. It's there because the recorded music cartel - all 4 companies - wants it. I have bought exactly $0 worth of music from the iTms. I have some, but I got that for free with Diet Pepsi caps.

Now it does work the other way. You can't play music purchased from the iTms on anything other than iTunes on a computer or an ipod. See above.

Microsoft has exactly the same system with DRM infested WMV files and "Plays for sure" which only plays on Microsoft-licensed palyers and doesn't play on iPods. It just has no customers in any music store.

In both cases you can get around the DRM by burning a CD and ripping it with the resulting lossy loss in quality.

In both cases blame the RIAA, although at this point Apple likes being thrown in the briar patch.

RIAA is at fault, but you skip the 3rd possibility besides ripping a CD and buying the song. And I don't care how unpopular it makes ya, its enticing and worth it to shut the RIAA up.

And the MPAA as well. I've said my piece tho.

CJones said:
Glad to hear that some other country folk are using the IPods... At least I won't feel TOO bad for putting one in my TerraGator.. Of course, as nice as they're making the cabs of the new equipment, they'll probably have a built-in dock for them pretty soon! They already come XM radio ready w/ air ride cabs and fully pneumatic seats..

My office: http://www.terragator.agcocorp.com/@resource/agcoproductspecs/TG_6103_Cab%20Information.pdf

They've made long strides since the old John Deere 8630.. haha..

-Chris

Come on Chris, that ain't no tractor, that's Prevost cab! Seriously, very nice equipment. I'll just keep on keeping on with my old open cab while avoiding limbs and yellow jacket nests :mad:
The only creature comfort on ours is the pneumatic seat although that is a nice addition.

kevin47881 said:
Come on Chris, that ain't no tractor, that's Prevost cab! Seriously, very nice equipment. I'll just keep on keeping on with my old open cab while avoiding limbs and yellow jacket nests :mad:
The only creature comfort on ours is the pneumatic seat although that is a nice addition.

Haha... Been there, done that.. Bailing hay with an open cab John Deere when the ground is soft = getting worms and rocks thrown at your back by the pickup forks. Fun times...

But when spending 12+ hrs/ day in the cab of equipment, the TerraGator is the way to go! :D

-Chris

SkyHog said:
I strongly suggest the Creative Labs MP3 players.
I'll second Nick's suggestion. My wife and I both have the Creative units. I have the 30Gb video unit, and I really like both the space and the ability to play videos. Note that Pilotcast now has some videos along with their audio content!

mikea said:

Or you run Audio Hijack, hijack iTunes, play the song, re-type the tags, and you have a non-DRM version.

Or you run PlayFair, a utility that cracks the FairPlay DRM.

flyingcheesehead said:
Or you run Audio Hijack, hijack iTunes, play the song, re-type the tags, and you have a non-DRM version.

Or you run PlayFair, a utility that cracks the FairPlay DRM.

All of which are violations of the DMCA. (As is this post for telling somebody how to bypass DRM)

Did I mention that I hate the DMCA?

FlyNE said:
All of which are violations of the DMCA. (As is this post for telling somebody how to bypass DRM)

Did I mention that I hate the DMCA?

But they do qualify as "fair use" under copyright law... So if someone catches me, I'm gonna call the EFF and we'll take it to court. :yes:

Ipods are over priced in 2 ways..

1. the units are great devices but.. .

2. 99 a song sucks if you ask me..

I use a Sansa 4gb player.. Napster compatable. Download AS MUCH as you want for 14 bucks a month. Way cheaper then buying cd's and you can listen to songs on any computer with internet with the same account.

http://www.shop.com/op/aprod-p31521619-k24-g4-~sansa+4gb-nover?sourceid=3

Darrell111 said:
Ipods are over priced in 2 ways..

1. the units are great devices but.. .

2. 99 a song sucks if you ask me..

I use a Sansa 4gb player.. Napster compatable. Download AS MUCH as you want for 14 bucks a month. Way cheaper then buying cd's and you can listen to songs on any computer with internet with the same account.

http://www.shop.com/op/aprod-p31521619-k24-g4-~sansa+4gb-nover?sourceid=3
And when you stop paying the $14 you have a collection of 1000s of files that do nothing but take up space.

Choose yer poison.

mikea said:
And when you stop paying the $14 you have a collection of 1000s of files that do nothing but take up space.

Choose yer poison.
I chose the napster option, personally. Flat fee to let me try out artists I haven't heard before, download tons of music I used to have, and so forth. Just taking a while stab at it, I'm thinking I've pulled down about 300 songs - so it will take me roughly 21 months to spend at napster what I would have paid to download those songs from iTunes.

And I'm still discovering new music. :)

Greebo said:
I chose the napster option, personally. Flat fee to let me try out artists I haven't heard before, download tons of music I used to have, and so forth. Just taking a while stab at it, I'm thinking I've pulled down about 300 songs - so it will take me roughly 21 months to spend at napster what I would have paid to download those songs from iTunes.

And I'm still discovering new music. :)
I should give it a try, if they have a Mac client, which I doubt. As Kent said, we have ways on Macs to make anything you can hear stay around forever. I bet we can run Napster in Windows on the Mac and still have the Mac part listening. Hey, I might have just innovated!

I can't keep up with my free podcast subscriptions.

Well I'm afraid you're right there - Napster To Go only works on XP.

mikea said:

Choose yer poison.

Well im a muscian on the side so i really like all kinds of music. I like that i can download ANYTHING i come accross or am recommended to listen to without having to own the song. If i dont like it .. DELETE.. if i do then great and if i really must have it then i can buy it.

You just dont have that option with Itunes.. you HAVE to buy something to listen to the whole song. The reason Itunes does not do a subscription service is because their devices are so popular. Truth is YES they are good but their are other devies out there that are actually better but just does not have the marketing behind it.

Apple is smart, their advertising is superior, uneducated customers go to stores asking for Ipods not Mp3 players anymore.

CJones said:
time is spent in agricultural heavy machinery,
A high noise environment? The Bose Quite Comfort ANC headsets, as well as many, many other aftermarket headsets, plugs right in and plays well.

-Skip

Back