When was the last time you went around?

BECAUSE A #&$*ING DPE SHOULDN'T BE TEAXTING WHILE THEY'RE GIVING A GD EXAM, THATS WHY!!!! It shouldn't tak a $&@*ing genius to figure that one out.
Why not? Are you assuming that I got a substandard checkride?

Why not? Are you assuming that I got a substandard checkride?
If "throughout (your) whole checkride, (you) had noticed the DPE had been playing or texting on his phone", absolutely. That is completely and totally unprofessional. It's disgraceful in any professional situation where you are supposed to be evaluating someone's performance to clearly not even be paying attention to said performance; during a flight test it is just mind-boggling to me. Of course from your perspective it could only be to your benefit, so I can understand your attitude. But it is absolutely disgusting behavior on the part of a DPE during a flight test. Anyone doing that should not be an examiner, period.

If "throughout (your) whole checkride, (you) had noticed the DPE had been playing or texting on his phone", absolutely. That is completely and totally unprofessional. It's disgraceful in any professional situation where you are supposed to be evaluating someone's performance to clearly not even be paying attention to said performance; during a flight test it is just mind-boggling to me. Of course from your perspective it could only be to your benefit, so I can understand your attitude. But it is absolutely disgusting behavior on the part of a DPE during a flight test. Anyone doing that should not be an examiner, period.
I think you are making assumptions that the checkride would be sub-par if the examiner was repeatedly texting. It wasn't sub-par from my perspective, nor was it "to my benefit", so (lucky for you) it wasn't your checkride.

I think you are making assumptions that the checkride would be sub-par if the examiner was repeatedly texting. It wasn't sub-par from my perspective, nor was it "to my benefit", so (lucky for you) it wasn't your checkride.
That's not an assumption, that's a fact. And I like how you're now minimizing what the examiner did, whereas before you said that "throughout my whole checkride, I had noticed that the DPE had been playing or texting on his phone". You clearly and unquestionably got a sub-par checkride. Furthermore, to your defense, as the person under examination, how would you know if it was sub-par?

And you're correct to an extent. If you were not up to minimum standards (which cannot be assessed given that your examiner wasn't paying attention), than it certainly was not to your benefit.

As the person under examination, how would you know if it was sub-par?

And you're correct to an extent. If you were not up to minimum standards (which cannot be assessed given that your examiner wasn't paying attention), than it certainly was not to your benefit.
Have you had an instrument checkride? From your response, I'd "assume" (there's that word again) you haven't...There is quite a bit of "downtime" in between approaches, unusual attitudes, etc. Yes, we were straight and level, flying a heading and an altitude during those times, but it wasn't a bumpy day, and I was never more than a degree or two, or 20 feet +-. I hardly see how that would require his constant attention....I was flying, not him, and I was doing fine (and that's not an assumption, that's a fact! LOL).

Last edited:
I purposely have few for various reasons...but I also fly with the mind that every approach to landing is a go around until proven otherwise so none was so surprising.

2 months ago when a NH90 army helicopter (heavy) decided to line up the runway for departure at an uncontrolled airport... this while I was on very short final and made an extra call to the guy just as the AFIS did....

Last edited:
Last time that wasn't for a checkride missed approach was at night, Bagram AB Afghanistan in 2011. Max cross winds and I was talking too much - forgot to put the props full forward on the king air and couldn't figure out why I was gliding so far on final instead of dropping like a rock... go around of shame (and lack of attention to detail...) :frown3::mad2:

Have you had an instrument checkride? From your response, I'd "assume" (there's that word again) you haven't...There is quite a bit of "downtime" in between approaches, unusual attitudes, etc. Yes, we were straight and level, flying a heading and an altitude during those times, but it wasn't a bumpy day, and I was never more than a degree or two, or 20 feet +-. I hardly see how that would require his constant attention....I was flying, not him, and I was doing fine (and that's not an assumption, that's a fact! LOL).
What does require his constant attention is FAA Order 8900.2, Section 2, paragraph 6c:

c. Test Environment. The designee must conduct the oral portion of the practical test in a private area free from distractions. The designee must give the applicant his or her undivided attention during the test and ensure that any discussion of test results with the applicant is in private.

Are you sure he was texting? My instructor makes notes on my flying, probably for a few reasons, but most notably so he can review in the debrief.

Are you sure he was texting? My instructor makes notes on my flying, probably for a few reasons, but most notably so he can review in the debrief.
Could have been, IDK. The phone was on his lap, and he was going to it every minute or two throughout...

What does require his constant attention is FAA Order 8900.2, Section 2, paragraph 6c:

c. Test Environment. The designee must conduct the oral portion of the practical test in a private area free from distractions. The designee must give the applicant his or her undivided attention during the test and ensure that any discussion of test results with the applicant is in private.
Keep tilting those windmills mr ryan, I'm tired of your argument.

It seems that rule may apply to the oral portion, and not necessarily the flight portion.

Though I am inclined to agree that an examiner texting during even the flight portion is not a good division of attention. Particularly given how much checkrides cost these days, it seems like the examiner can focus on the task at hand. As has been noted, perhaps the device was being used for note taking, which would be different.

I have a habit of turning final a couple hundred feet too high (12 hour pilot in training). Usually full flaps and no throttle will drop me down to the proper glide path. I thought I was going to have to do a go around Monday when full flaps just wasn't cutting it. I was still high as a kite. The runway was coming up and my CFI saw I was struggling so he showed me (again) how to do a forward slip. Full right rudder, modulate left aileron to track straight down to the numbers. We pulled off a pretty nice landing that I thought wasn't going to happen.

The runway was coming up and my CFI saw I was struggling so he showed me (again) how to do a forward slip. Full right rudder, modulate left aileron to track straight down to the numbers. We pulled off a pretty nice landing that I thought wasn't going to happen.

My first landing with PAX - my wife and father - on my fresh ticket, I was at an unfamiliar airport in an unfamiliar plane (same type I trained in, but newer and 'different' enough) doing a not-commonly-done-in-my-training right-hand pattern. I ended up about a mile high on final. I threw in a big slip and got it down a little past the numbers, and though the runway was still about 3 miles long in front of me, I'd eaten up so much I STILL decided to go around. As I was setting up again, I realized it had been pretty quiet since the first approach and I checked in with my loved ones, assuring them a go-around was no big deal. My dad replied, "It wasn't that, but what the HELL was that elevator ride before that?!?!?" Slips are cool and useful, just remember to assure your passengers that everything is under control.

My last go-around was 11 or 12 years ago. But then again, I wasn't flying in that time. When in doubt, go around. Preferably sooner than I did on that maiden voyage.

Landing on 31 at LGA with winds gusty 240/30kts. Had it lined up nice but had a gust knock us nose down, and right wing down in the flare. Got her straightened out, but by the time I did was too far down the short runway. Go around, try again. Got almost the same gust at the same time, but was ready for it and made the landing.

Twice on Saturday. Narrow and short strip cut into the trees. Miss by 15' either way and the wings will hit stuff they aren't meant to hit. Wind was 30mph at about 75* from the left. It was a bumpy ride all the way there but at the treetops it got really bad. Two passes, uncontrollable at airspeeds appropriate for the LZ. Two balks, then we headed back home. Wife never showed any concern.

Today, twice.

Turned base and was right on altitude, speed and power. Turned final and I was on altitude 2 white 2 red, right on and I don't know how but the plane just fell, went to 4 red. Powered up and called a go around well before even making the runway.

Second time I was just way high and called it early instead of trying to force something.

Student pilot sub 10 hours just starting pattern and landing work

Actually just last Thursday. Attempting a power off 180 at an airport I don't normally do TOs and landings at. Came in really high and went around.
Same here...practicing power off 180s, was too high on a short field.

Shelter Cove, 0Q5, group of golfers in the center of the runway.

Stop me if you've heard this one. A doctor, a lawyer, and a priest are playing golf . . .

Oh man. If only the priest could have been an engineer... (why can't these guys play at night?)

Back