When to start the Basic Med process

Leo Langston

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
llangston1
So exactly when should we start this Basic Med process? After May 1st or now. Assuming I get through the Basic Med process I need to get a new flight review and wonder if I should just wait till May or try to get that done now. I don't need a medical to do the flight review, just can't act as PIC until I get a medical, correct?

So exactly when should we start this Basic Med process? After May 1st or now. Assuming I get through the Basic Med process I need to get a new flight review and wonder if I should just wait till May or try to get that done now. I don't need a medical to do the flight review, just can't act as PIC until I get a medical, correct?
The rule does not go into effect until May 1st, so you can't sign, and the doctor can't sign anything prior to the rule going into effect. Furthermore, there are no approved courses available at this time.

The rule does not go into effect until May 1st, so you can't sign, and the doctor can't sign anything prior to the rule going into effect. Furthermore, there are no approved courses available at this time.

They haven't released the final version of the form, but if they do release it before May 1st, why couldn't you have your doctor sign it then? Obviously you can't fly under the new rules until May 1st.

AOPA has already created a course and the FAA has approved it. It's not publicly available yet.

They haven't released the final version of the form, but if they do release it before May 1st, why couldn't you have your doctor sign it then? Obviously you can't fly under the new rules until May 1st.

Because neither the physician nor the airman have the authority to sign the declaration under BasicMed until the BasicMed rule goes into effect.

Because neither the physician nor the airman have the authority to sign the declaration under BasicMed until the BasicMed rule goes into effect.
That doesn't make sense to me. If they sign it in April then on May 1st you have had the exam done and the form signed within the past 2 years and should be compliant with BasicMed.

That doesn't make sense to me. If they sign it in April then on May 1st you have had the exam done and the form signed within the past 2 years and should be compliant with BasicMed.
Common sense has never been a requirement when dealing with the Feds. Altho,signed in April, there is a formal process for the FAA to determine how to implement. It takes time, it has to be published in the Federal Register, and other red tape is involved.

Common sense has never been a requirement when dealing with the Feds. Altho,signed in April, there is a formal process for the FAA to determine how to implement. It takes time, it has to be published in the Federal Register, and other red tape is involved.
I figured the final form would be published in March or April and I could get my annual physical then and get the form signed. If that's not going to work then I'll wait until May. Fortunately my Class 3 Special Issuance is valid through May 31st.

What doesn't make sense?
That you can't get the form signed before May 1st (if it's out before then) and then just wait until May 1st to fly under the new rules. I'm not sure what you're basing your assertion on that this won't be legal.

That you can't get the form signed before May 1st (if it's out before then) and then just wait until May 1st to fly under the new rules. I'm not sure what you're basing your assertion on that this won't be legal.
Good point. I'm just SGOTI.

I just read on the FAA website that you cannot get the forms signed before May 1st. You may not like it or even understand why, the answer is no, don't sign before May 1st.

Look on page six for that specific question

https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/basic_med/media/basicmed_faq.pdf

You're right. I read that FAQ but missed it. No big deal for me. My SI is good through May 31st so I'll just schedule my physical for the beginning of May.

You're right. I read that FAQ but missed it. No big deal for me. My SI is good through May 31st so I'll just schedule my physical for the beginning of May.
After further discussions with FAA attorneys it looks like you'll be able complete your examination as soon as the checklist gets approved by OMB and published by the FAA. The BasicMed FAQ should be updated shortly.

After further discussions with FAA attorneys it looks like you'll be able complete your examination as soon as the checklist gets approved by OMB and published by the FAA. The BasicMed FAQ should be updated shortly.
Thanks for the update.

Before you do anything, talk to your MD and see if they are willing to sign off.

Before you do anything, talk to your MD and see if they are willing to sign off.
I showed my doctor the exam checklist and the declaration he would need to sign and he said no problem. He's going to do it as part of my annual physical.

I showed my doctor the exam checklist and the declaration he would need to sign and he said no problem. He's going to do it as part of my annual physical.

I can't seem to locate that checklist. Can you point me to it?

Yup, last pages.

@Brad Z shared some info via the AOPA board on how things are progressing on the final spit and polish. Perhaps he can also update us here.
Not much to add other than to mention that the checklist currently in draft form needs OMB approval before it can be published by the FAA. With the new administration, OMB has a lot on their hands right now. That said, I don't expect that to delay the rule. Also, don't be surprised to see some minor edits to the final version of the form to alleviate some HIPAA concerns.

Last edited:
Pardon my lack of knowing how our bureaucracy works, but why doe the OMB need to be part of the process?

Pardon my lack of knowing how our bureaucracy works, but why doe the OMB need to be part of the process?
My guess is that there's probably some statute that requires it. (Administrative Procedures Act, perhaps?)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back