When to arrive at OSH?

JeffFranks

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Jeff F
Well, after going to OSH most every year since 1986, I am actually planning on flying in this time. That means me, my brother and maybe 75 lbs of baggage will be heading North around the 25th.

I've watched and listened to the FISK arrivals since I was 16, so I'm fairly comfortable with the procedure....but still nervous.

So, the question is, when is the best time to arrive at OSH on Friday evening, Saturday or Sunday morning. We're flying from just south of Nashville, so I've thought about dropping in on the Iowa City pool party on Saturday night, but not sure if I don't want to go on in sometime Saturday afternoon.

So, for a noobie flying into OSH, what's ya'lls opinion on the best time to show up during the weekend of the 25th without getting into the thick of it?

jf

Last edited:
Jeff,
Welcome to the posting side of PoA after a year of lurking!
I think your idea of doing the Iowa City pool party would be a good one, but I think I remember Jay saying that they're booked up that night, so you'd have to camp in Iowa (which he does allow!) That way you'd be going in with a bunch of planes already on the right heading, plus you get to camp together.

I've had good success avoiding heavy traffic at OSH by arriving the last 30-45 minutes before the tower closes on Friday and Saturday the weekend before the official opening day of Airventure. I always plan for Appleton or Fond du Lac as a divert if something happens at OSH that prevents arriving before the field closes, i.e., plenty of fuel onboard when I get there.

The one time I flew into OSH I did it on the 1st or 2nd day at the *EXACT* time the arrival opened.

I planted myself at Wisconsin Dells the day before and departed from there with full fuel which gave me plenty of options.

I had no issues and had like 60 hours total time when I did it. Getting there early helped..but even at that time..I was lined up with quite a few aircraft.

I'm planning to visit Fisk approach this years on Sunday if anyone's interested.

Last edited:
IMO it's more important to arrive in good VMC than any particular time. You do want to avoid the mass arrivals of Cessnas, Mooneys, and Bonanzas and AFaIK that all occurs mid day Saturday before the show opens.

If the weather is marginal when you show up at Ripon, you will have a lot more difficulty fitting in with the flow and there's a good chance you will need to hold before and/or after RIPON.

The easiest I have ever gotten into OSH was, as Jesse mentioned, as soon as the field opens to arrivals in the morning. I depart my field at a time that will put me at RIPON as shortly after the field opens as possible. It's quiet and easy.

If you're coming during the event (which it sounds like you will be getting there EARLY in the event), I wouldn't try to do the post-airshow/pre-8pm arrival. At that time of the day, there are a lot of yahoo's that have 1.) Been working all day and are trying to slip in at the last minute or B.) Have been flying all day and are cranky and tired. Neither of those situations bodes well for a safe and coherent pilot. Not to mention the fact that you will be flying into the face of hundreds of departures immediately after the airshow.

As long as you read and understand the NOTAM, there shouldn't be any problem. Just keep your eyes open for the moe-rons that think the sky belongs to them and can do whatever the heck they want.

Thanks for the input! Yes, Grant, it took me some time before I finally went active in here. I've been a 10 year participant in R.A.P and R.A.S., but that got old about a year ago. I like these forums MUCH better.

We have always arrived a couple of days early and enjoyed the "free" Sunday while the vendors are still setting up and all. It's a good time to go watch airplanes land. I just didn't want to be in the middle of said pack :)

Hopefully, we'll see you all there!

jf

I've done it on Sunday evening every year, anywhere from about 4 PM to being the 4th-last airplane in (last year) before the 8 PM shutdown. It's always been relatively calm at that point, surprisingly enough. :dunno:

I've done it on Sunday evening every year, anywhere from about 4 PM to being the 4th-last airplane in (last year) before the 8 PM shutdown. It's always been relatively calm at that point, surprisingly enough. :dunno:

I guess my comments were based on my experience DEPARTING OSH during the post-airshow/pre-8pm timeframe. Of course, we are usually departing later in the week when the 'weekend warriors' are arriving (of which I will be one this year. :()

Immediately after the airshow ends, a steady breeze stirs throughout the showgrounds because of all the props spinning. ;) The departure controllers are busier than a one-armed paper hanger. Once we're away from the field, we usually tune in the arrival freq for background noise and the arrival controllers are usually that busy as well. It always seems like a busy time-frame, but maybe it's better earlier in the week.

I guess my comments were based on my experience DEPARTING OSH during the post-airshow/pre-8pm timeframe.

I agree, that's a busy time - But there's no airshow on Sunday. The show doesn't start until Monday. ;)

pete he is probably referencing rec.aviation.student

So, for a noobie flying into OSH, what's ya'lls opinion on the best time to show up during the weekend of the 25th without getting into the thick of it?

jf

If you're going in on Sat the 25, it probably will be a non issue almost anytime.. but the formations groups will be arriving early in the afternoon, so could be some delays. But not a lot of traffic on Sat. Been doing that for the last several years.

Sun early could also be easy too, but Sun afternoon and later could be busy.

You'd think so, but that hasn't been my experience at all. I do not understand why :no: but it is what it is.

Funny, Kent...Sunday afternnon has been VERY busy whenever we've gone...believe it was early afternoon. I hadn't said anything before now 'cause I've only been with Greg a couple of times when we've flown in (I drive since we live close) so my experience is limited but that's our experience.

Funny, Kent...Sunday afternnon has been VERY busy whenever we've gone...believe it was early afternoon. I hadn't said anything before now 'cause I've only been with Greg a couple of times when we've flown in (I drive since we live close) so my experience is limited but that's our experience.

Yeah, like I said above I go in between about 4 and 8 and it's usually fairly light traffic. Well, fairly light for Oshkosh, that is! It's kind of "Saturday at Gaston's" level. :rofl:

Yeah, like I said above I go in between about 4 and 8 and it's usually fairly light traffic. Well, fairly light for Oshkosh, that is! It's kind of "Saturday at Gaston's" level. :rofl:

Good to have the clarification, Kent. All the info put out can get all jumbled up in the brain by the time one reads all the various posts...and I'm not referencing any particular person...especially not me! :smile:

Good to have the clarification, Kent. All the info put out can get all jumbled up in the brain by the time one reads all the various posts...and I'm not referencing any particular person...especially not me! :smile:

Well, I also figured that since I know Oshkosh, "light traffic" for me might be HOLY ****!!! :hairraise: to someone else.

Back