when music Gods are smiling... (guess who I saw in the elevator)

woodstock

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
iTravel
still in Mexico City, last day in town! back home in the morning.

I am staying at the Four Seasons (which I can highly recommend)...

I got on the elevator to go down to go sightseeing earlier today. a very full elevator. a guy in sunglasses was standing RIGHT next to me. I glanced and did a double take but didn't say anything.

when he got off I said to the packed elevator "that looked like Noel Gallagher". the guy next to me said it sure was. darn!

at any rate, I checked, they are in town. I asked the concierge and she said they were 300 bucks. welp, ya only live once right? (that's what I told myself when I spent a mint on the B17 tickets...) I told her I'd call her back after I talked to my boss to tell him I was missing dinner (and assuming he didn't get upset).

I went to the elevator and saw a cute guy standing there. we got on, I just happened to say "hey, do you know Noel Gallagher is in the hotel"? he said "yes, that is why we are here". my eyes got huge b/c I thought he meant they were with the band... they weren't... he just meant they were here, to see him. I told him I could get tickets for 300 bucks. he said no no too much. we have a few extras, for 100 bucks each.

needless to say, I am there. I've seen U2 in Berlin, Van Morrison in Galway Ireland, Elvis Costello (surprise opener Chris Difford) in Cologne Germany (and missed out on Alanis Morrissette in Lima b/C they had sold out when I found out...). the Music Gods love me for sure.

(none of which explains why I randomly talk to people on elevators... :D but I suppose it does explain how I manage to accumulate such adventures)

and Kaye - this is a LOT of fun - I went to a castle today, instead of the pyramids.

Ok Elizabeth question is ,and this might sound dumb but "How is Noel Gallagher" ?I should probably know this but Old Age has crept it. (mind Like seive). Dave G

I don't know who he is either - and i'm 31

Isn't that the guy would played the cowbell in the SNL takeoff of Blue Oyster Cult's "Behind the Music?" Oh, sorry that was Gene Firkle but the resemblance is uncanny. Wasn't Gallagher kicked off American Idol or something? Dunno. :dunno:

I'm 24, and I don't know either. I think he's the dude from Oasis.

Hey Elizabeth...I know who he is :cheerswine:

Maybe because we are (almost) the same age. I mean Noel. Not you. Though that might also be true ;)

Saw them on their tour after (What's the Story) Morning Glory. Awesome.

Couple of years ago, I was staying at La Posada in Santa Fe; I kept looking at the woman at the table next to us while eating breakfast, trying to figure out who she was and why I recognized her.

Only after she got up and walked out, passing close by, that I realized she was Jane Fonda (and, by the way, looked awful good up close, too).

Maybe best I did not recognize her right up front; I might have said, "Hey! It's Hanoi Jane!"

That would have been embarrassing.

woodstock said:
a very full elevator. a guy in sunglasses was standing RIGHT next to me. I glanced and did a double take but didn't say anything.
Shucks! I was thinking you were gonna say "Elvis!!!!" B) No, not Elvis Costello, the REAL Elvis!!!

wesleyj said:
Or was it Wendys, I dont remember, must be OldTimers.
I'm not old enough for OldTimers, but I do suffer from PartTimers... :rolleyes:

I am surprised nearly everyone I've told this story to so far gives me a blank look, even when I say "from the band Oasis!". must be all that time I spent in England, then again I've always been an Anglophile. I thought they were much bigger in the US to tell the truth.

they are pretty much the biggest band in England. they are also known for beating the **** out of each other and drinking heavily. (not in that order necessarily).

http://www.thebiographychannel.co.uk/biography_story/1663:2012/1/Oasis.htm

http://www.oasisinet.com/site.php?site=music

OK, I'll chime in on "bands that I think are famous - our should be" ... Saw The Fray on Saturday Morning Show this morning. They've also been featured on Good Morning America, Jay Leno, David Letterman and VH-1 in the last 3 months. A real up-and-coming band that's being compared to Coldplay. Not my style of music, but my boys are big fans. Another draw? We're friends the lead guitarist's parents and the drummer's parents. The kids are both buddies of my older son and one of them was a leader with my younger son's youth group. Check 'em out - they're gonna be stars!!!

Now if you had seen Beethoven...or Glenn Miller....or George Harrison....or Johnny Cash....that would be something. But someone from a current group....well, things like that happen to lots of folks. Sorry E. Oasis doesn't do much for me. I thought an Oasis was a place desert dwellers went to ....oh, never mind.

SCCutler said:
Couple of years ago, I was staying at La Posada in Santa Fe; I kept looking at the woman at the table next to us while eating breakfast, trying to figure out who she was and why I recognized her.

Only after she got up and walked out, passing close by, that I realized she was Jane Fonda (and, by the way, looked awful good up close, too).

Maybe best I did not recognize her right up front; I might have said, "Hey! It's Hanoi Jane!"

That would have been embarrassing.

Her X, Ted Turner calls her "Charlie" among other things,:rofl:
Don

woodstock said:
so far gives me a blank look, even when I say "from the band Oasis!". must be all that time I spent in England, then again I've always been an Anglophile. I thought they were much bigger in the US to tell the truth.

They just weren't that good, IMHO. I get the gag reflex anytime the record company marketing dept puts a bunch of famous guys together for a "super band." Ugh.

they weren't famous. they grew up on the streets on Manchester. quite poor actually. you're thinking of the Spice Girls! ;)

woodstock said:
they weren't famous. they grew up on the streets on Manchester. quite poor actually. you're thinking of the Spice Girls! ;)

Maybe.

At that time, I was much more into punk/alternative than mainstream rock.

Oasis is pretty recent - I think their first album was 94 or so. Their "peak" period of popularity was 96-2001 or so? They're still huge in England. They sure got big immediately though.

gkainz said:
OK, I'll chime in on "bands that I think are famous - our should be" ... Saw The Fray on Saturday Morning Show this morning. They've also been featured on Good Morning America, Jay Leno, David Letterman and VH-1 in the last 3 months. A real up-and-coming band that's being compared to Coldplay. Not my style of music, but my boys are big fans. Another draw? We're friends the lead guitarist's parents and the drummer's parents. The kids are both buddies of my older son and one of them was a leader with my younger son's youth group. Check 'em out - they're gonna be stars!!!

Greg - just wanted to let you know I heard this again on the radio coming in to work and I LOVE this song. I don't hear it on the radio quite as often yet but I think I'm going to hear more of it now...

gkainz said:
OK, I'll chime in on "bands that I think are famous - our should be" ...
How about Adge Cutler and the Wurzels. Now, if you'd seen them in an elevator, I'd really be impressed !
www.wurzelmania.co.uk

Sorry Elizabeth, I'm sure it was a thrill .........

Shipoke said:
Ok Elizabeth question is ,and this might sound dumb but "How is Noel Gallagher" ?I should probably know this but Old Age has crept it. (mind Like seive). Dave G

Me to.

Judy

OK, I remember Oasis now. The did the album "Whats the Story, MorningGlory" and that one song WonderWall or something like that was played every 3 songs on the radio. That and the WallFlowers are now x-ed in my book as bands I ever want to see again because of the sheer amount of times I heard their hit when I was driving to/from highschool.

I also seem to remember Noel Gallagher sitting out of doing MTV's Unplugged because his throat was too sore, but he stood off stage smoking cigarettes and yelling at the band, also. That's funny. I love to see fights like that taken public, and I'm not being sarcastic.

I think some of their appeal was the fact that they would beat the tar out of each other on a regular basis. no joke. that and they spoke their minds, no BS. kinda like Colin Farrell. (who I am STILL waiting to run into in an elevator...)

Back