When Mother Nature is in a Good Mood, The Results are FANTASTIC!!

beestforwardspeed

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
CoopAir
HD Video from 2 camera angles, and ATC recording: https://vimeo.com/91134317

Last Sunday (March 30th) I had yet again another fantastic flight in IMC, with some fantastic scenery from Mother Nature!

Departed Rwy 2 at HFD and entered the clag at 500'. Upon reaching 3000, we were just about to break out on top between layers--a sight that rivals the most picturesque sandbars in the Bahamas!!

This surprised me a bit as the skew-t (RUC cycle) indicated the tops were going to be a bit higher---in the 4-5K range---give or take.

We were only between layers for a few minutes since we were soon cleared down to 2500 with vectors for the RNAV Rwy 9 into IJD, about 20 NM east.

On that approach, we couldnt see the rwy at the MDA, so we went missed and then got vectors for the ILS 5 at Westover AFB (CEF).

ATC cleared us up to 4000 for about 10-15 miles and up that high, we were on top of just about everything except a very thin broken Cirrus layer much higher.

On the ILS 5, we broke out about 100' above DH, went missed, and got a clearance back to HFD full stop. We were given 3000 on the way back, and it looked like we were solidly in the soup again. At first Andris wants to stay put to log the time as actual, but then changes his mind 5 min later and wants the view, like me.

Just a minute later passing through 3500, we get on-top of everything again, and the sun beats down rather strong, so much so that I though he was cranking up the heat.

The rest of the flight was uneventful and we flew the LDA 2 into HFD and broke out about 100' above the MDA for a straight in and made an uneventful landing on Rwy 2.

Despite not having flown in IMC for 3 months, Andris was still very sharp and hasn't picked up any rust---as far as I could tell anyway.

Attachments

• Best imc 3-3-134.jpg
    Best imc 3-3-134.jpg
    760.7 KB · Views: 104
  • Best imc 3-3-133.jpg
    Best imc 3-3-133.jpg
    973.5 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
Awesome video, please tell me how to get audio like that with gropro 3.

One of my favorite $100 hamburger spots, Wings Sports Bar and Grill! I was just there about three weeks ago.

Awesome view over the Connecticut River on approach from the south!

On my first flight into Brainard, although I was VFR, I flew the LDA 02. So I enjoyed seeing you guys break out of IMC with the runway offset.

Nice video, thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
I'm a newbie on the skewT but trying to learn, so here's a dumb question. What indicated cloud or layer top, a temp reversal or a separation of rate of change traces?

Nice video! Now that the weather is warming up I'm looking forward to using my IR more and getting some more actual

I remember fueling that plane when I was a line guy there 25 years ago!

Today was a wx day and so I was able to study up on the skewT. Looks like a really good tool. Almost have it figured.

Nice video,looks like you had a lot of fun.

I use this cable to record the ATC. By far the best audio quality of all the combos I have tested

http://www.mypilotstore.com/mypilotstore/sep/9311

The white noise from the engine was done without any modifications.

Another option is to record the audio on a dedicated audio recorder (e.g. http://tascam.com/product/dr-05/). Then you don't have to leave the gopro running (consuming battery and memory) the whole time just to get the audio you want. Plus, you can use any camera(s) you want any time instead of being stuck with a gopro all the time.

Another option is to record the audio on a dedicated audio recorder (e.g. http://tascam.com/product/dr-05/). Then you don't have to leave the gopro running (consuming battery and memory) the whole time just to get the audio you want. Plus, you can use any camera(s) you want any time instead of being stuck with a gopro all the time.

Good point. While that is certainly possible, being able to use the WIFI RC allows me to make sure both cams are in sync w/o having to worry about hitting 2 different buttons within a half sec of each other.

Thanks for sharing. Great Video!! Looks like a fun ride.

I must be living in the wrong part of the country. Mother Nature hasn't been in a good mood around here since sometime back in September.

Why is the OP "clueless and unsafe," as the person who tagged this suggests?

Thanks, I enjoyed the video, the dual camera setup makes it interesting to watch. Also thanks for the link to the Skew-T info above, I feel like I have a new weather tool in my bag now.

Just a quick question from someone who isn't yet rated: It seemed like the audio for the navigation aid was turned on for a long time and I'm just curious if this is normal procedure. I have been taught to just check it and then immediately turn it off.

Thanks, I enjoyed the video, the dual camera setup makes it interesting to watch. Also thanks for the link to the Skew-T info above, I feel like I have a new weather tool in my bag now.

Just a quick question from someone who isn't yet rated: It seemed like the audio for the navigation aid was turned on for a long time and I'm just curious if this is normal procedure. I have been taught to just check it and then immediately turn it off.

You are correct in that it is normally turned on only to get a positive ident, and then turned off after that.

For some reason, my friend who was PIC likes to keep it on the most of the time for fear that he won't recognize a flag on the NAV receiver, were he to lose the signal. Not what I prefer to do, but to each his own I guess....

You are correct in that it is normally turned on only to get a positive ident, and then turned off after that.

For some reason, my friend who was PIC likes to keep it on the most of the time for fear that he won't recognize a flag on the NAV receiver, were he to lose the signal. Not what I prefer to do, but to each his own I guess....

That is something old timers often like to do. I remember hearing the suggestion from Richard Collins in one of the aviation magazines.

Back