When money was no object in pilot training

Nothing motivates a student to pay attention and work hard like watching his classmate auger in. Too many pilots live in a fantasy world of 'not me' and just try to idle through to get that airline job.
Or anyone auger in just as they start flight training and get to the airplane before the professionals to see if you can do anything to help. :(

Ryan

I don't think the body of his article had so much to do with WWII pilots as is did with the way that teaching civilian pilots has evolved.
Since we kill a lot fewer of them per flight hour these days than back then, we must be doing something right.

Since we kill a lot fewer of them per flight hour these days than back then, we must be doing something right.

Only if that is the end goal of flight instruction, which it's not. We maintain the same accident rate because technology improves while pilots decline.

I still think you are missing the point of the article. In a nutshell I think he is saying that the way we used to teach flying, doing maneuvers in isolation until the student was proficient before moving on to other things, might have been more effective than trying to integrate everything and dress it up in a scenario.

Last edited:
Well, I never conned a 10,000 ton ship -- smallest I had the deck on was 77,000 tons. And I specifically said "almost always." With a plane, it's almost never. Big difference.

bah gotta disagree... there are a lot of differences between aviation and boating, but you can get in trouble quick on a boat, and the weather and wind don't stop for no one. You can't avoid storms, you just get nailed by them.

especially on a sailboat

Back