When Marking a Thread as "Read"...

K

KennyFlys

Every time I mark a thread as read, it takes me to a window for that specific area. Why?

For example, I clear the the threads for Gastons or some from Technical forum. Then, I'm forced to see the list of threads for that forum.

Can this be changed back?

Yes - the feature where you mark a forum as read and you get taken back to the new posts list was a modification I made. I need to tweak the code to reapply the mod.

Along the same lines...

Is there any way to mark a group of threads as read without marking the entire forum?

I usually just use the "New Posts" function. This works great until I'm away for a day or two, then I'm inundated with new posts, and I don't always have time to read them all. Is there any way to mark a thread (or a handful of threads) as read from the "New Posts" window, without having to click on each one individually or mark the entire forum read? Or am I just being entirely too lazy?

Well I'd like to, but see all I did with my hack to bring you back to new posts was to use pieces that were already a part of vBulletin, and added one line of code to the function that marks forums read to do the redirect back to the search.

To do what you're asking, I'd have to add a whole new table which tracked every user and every thread they'd read, and how far into the thread they'd read. Then I'd have to modify every search function to use that new table.

The table itself would have to have a number of rows in it equal to the number of users times the number of threads. As of right now, thats Threads: 21,317 times Members: 3,512 = 74,865,304 rows.

Every time you read a thread, I would have to have the forum find the row that corresponded to your user number and the thread number, and update that row to indicate which post number in the thread you had read. Then, when searching, I'd have to look at every single thread row for your user account, and every single thread in the forum, and see if any thread had posts in it that had higher numbers than the last post you read in that thread.

Every new thread and every new user would cause that table to explode in size logarithmically.

The performance would be abysmal, and everyone would end up cursing your name until the ends of time for having ruined the speed at PoA and making it impossible to write a simple "good morning" post in less than 30 minutes. People would end up making it a point to fly over your house and drop old garbage on it to show their displeasure.

But on the plus side, all those planes going over your house would be really cool to see, so I'll get right on it! :)

Back