When luck runs out...

If he was doing weather checks ahead of the group, I am thinking he may have had CFIT while following the roadway, especially considering the aircraft had "extensive fragmentation" he may have pull-up at the site of a hill side, but was too low...

tough break regardless...

Windy Pass is not the place to push your luck. plus you do not follow the highway thru the pass, the river is the better choice.

do the google maps thing.

A friend of mine was supposed to go on his tour last year, but couldn't due to a medical issue, he spoke very highly of him. Very sad.

Wow,

Seems the boggy man was after this guy. Very sad indeed.

I think this was the guy some friends of mine went to AK with a couple years ago.

How horrible... :( My condolences to everyone affected by this

It's my understanding that Dale was a fairly conservative and competent pilot. The story from the folks on his last trip is that he had changed tactics from previous Alaska adventures and was indeed "scouting" the weather well ahead of the rest of the airplanes on the trip. Definitely sounds like CFIT and it's surprising that someone with his experience (both general and Alaska specific) would make that kind of mistake.

BTW this is the same pilot who posted the multi camera videos of his emergency landing in a Bonanza after a power failure on takeoff. It's also his third accident but I don't think that necessarily reflects his skills or behavior as a pilot.

It's also his third accident but I don't think that necessarily reflects his skills or behavior as a pilot.

Agreed, by many folks definition I have had one and my skills are what kept my hide intact. As to behavior, well that is another story, sometime I accept more risk than most would (raise your hand if you have knowingly flown an "unairworthy" plane) but that comes with the territory.

BTW this is the same pilot who posted the multi camera videos of his emergency landing in a Bonanza after a power failure on takeoff. It's also his third accident but I don't think that necessarily reflects his skills or behavior as a pilot.

Unless he knowingly took off with a problematic engine or no fuel, I count the incident above as a testament to his piloting skills. Who knows what actually happened in the last one.

Back