When life follows fiction

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/06/26/gator.attack.ap/index.html
VENICE, Florida (AP) -- A man who lost his ball in a golf course pond nearly lost a limb when a nearly 11-foot alligator latched on to his arm and pulled him in the water, authorities said.
Bruce Burger, 50, was trying to retrieve his ball Monday from a pond on the sixth hole at the Lake Venice Golf Club.
The alligator latched on to Burger's right forearm and pulled him in the pond, said Gary Morse, a spokesman for the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission

It took seven Fish and Wildlife officers an hour to trap the one-eyed alligator, which measured 10 feet, 11 inches, Morse said.
Wasn't that an Adam Sandler Movie???

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116483/

I played golf in Sarasota with my grandfather. His first piece of advice:

"When the ball goes out of bounds, its out of bounds. Let it go. This is Florida."

When I hit a ball into the sticks...I just **** on it and call it casual water....

That's really funny...yet kinda sick (Chubs) *Rimshot!!*

"When the ball goes out of bounds, its out of bounds. Let it go. This is Florida."

When I worked at the Space Center we would go out at lunch and play a little softball. I was catching and a guy hit a foul that I went chasing after. It rolled into the jungle and there was a pond back there too. This area being all a wild life refuge there were plenty of critters around. I went running in after it and came face to face with a small (2-3 foot) gator. He growled at me and I turned an ran back up the path. The ball was gone as far as I was concerned and that was the end of play for the day.

A couple of years ago there was a story of a golfer down in FLA who hit OB. The others in his foursome decided to continue to play while he looked for his ball. Back at the clubhouse they became anxious and started asking if anyone had seen him.

No one had so they began to search at the last place anyone had seen him. Some locals came by and said that place was the home of a big ol gator. Professional gator handlers got involved and they did find that gator. They cut it open to find the man's torso inside. They never found the ball.

While living in Sarasota Springs one summer my little brother made some friends and swam everyday in the big pond behind their house. One day he came home looking white as a ghost. Turns out he came face to face with a gator on it's home turf.

I spent some time scuba diving for golf balls in water hazards around Miami/Ft. Lauderdale ... yep, there be critters in that water! :)

I spent some time scuba diving for golf balls in water hazards around Miami/Ft. Lauderdale ... yep, there be critters in that water! :)

(that's also when I realized I didn't need to learn how to play golf ... I already know how to swear!)

Last edited:

If you've ever done that in NE Fla then no doubt you've collected a substantial number of xouts that I put there! I hit water magnets. :redface:

For the first space shuttle launch back in April of 1981 NASA let a bunch of tourists onto the ground to watch. I was over at the ITL (Titan) area to watch and there was part of the turn basin right there. Well there we several delays and this one family started getting bored. They had driven down from the north east to see the launch and had been waiting for several days. So mom told her two kids to go swimming and off into the water they went. I walked over and mentioned to the lady that I did not think that was a good idea. She politely told me that since there was not a no swimming sign, and that her kids were good swimmers I should pretty much mind my own business. She did that politely but that was the jist of what she said. I apologized to her and said as my last statement if she noticed the log floating about 10 feet away from her kids and if she also noticed that the 'log' had eyes. She screamed for her kids to get out of the water.

Golf is a good walk ruined. Mark Twain said that.

I say, golf is the only game that when I'm playing it I wish I was somewhere else. Then I have a near perfect game so I keep going back. For hope.

Y'all should listen to Robin William's skit on what exactly is the game of golf. Spoken in a Scottish brogue, you'll laugh until your sides ache.

That skit is really funny! "You take this ball, and you hit it in a little gopher hole!" The language is inappropriate for children though, so be warned.

Golf got its name because all of the other four-letter words were already taken! They like it whenever I go play golf in an area that's suffering a drought - I'm sure to find some water somewhere!

When people ask me what I shoot, I respond, "65... then I played the back 9!"

Or

"Mid-70s... any warmer or colder outside and I don't go!"

That is my line!!!
I had it before you.

Or maybe I just had it.

I once bought a full set of clubs with bag at a garage sale. You can guess the story why the owner was selling. He insisted everything was only a buck. I gave him ten.

Included was a wood shaft putter, heavier than all get out. I sanded and finished bright the putter, broke the shaft in two, had it mounted on green felt behind glass, and gave it to my father. He's a world famous golfer (in his own mind). We laughed knowingly. It's hanging on the wall behind his bar.

Back