When is leaking oil "OK"?

But thanks everyone for your replies. I was not sure what would be said and I've invested a lot of money in these checkouts, and in switching schools, and I don't really want to go back to the old one. It seems this one is MUCH better, including plane equipment, paint jobs, and maintenance. Customer service is great too.

Unfortunately (I think I've mentioned this before), the CFI who has done my two check outs is one of those "helper" types (aka does things for you before you can even do them like transponder, flaps, etc... frustrating!!!!).

This means she has taken the oil cap off. I haven't soloed the airplane yet (but will soon now that I'm checked out). I could not get the cap off both times and she told me that was because it was supposed to be put on tightly due to that oil leak thing. She also said I have to push down and then twist. I'll try it this weekend or next weekend, when I fly. I will also look at the wheel pant and then climb underneath with a white paper towel and flashlight on the cement to investigate where it is coming from.

That CFI sounds like a moron

That CFI sounds like a moron

I freaking fought with her for the yoke. I simply refused to make my aiming point the grass and lights WAY BEFORE the runway starts or the numbers begin. Argh - there are LOTS of ways to land a plane and I didn't think after I got my PPL I'd still have to do stuff their way or the highway.... sheesh.

Now that I'm checked out there is no way I'm flying with that CFI again, they have four, so I'll choose another.

I freaking fought with her for the yoke. I simply refused to make my aiming point the grass and lights WAY BEFORE the runway starts or the numbers begin. Argh - there are LOTS of ways to land a plane and I didn't think after I got my PPL I'd still have to do stuff their way or the highway.... sheesh.

That sounds like it would fit nicely into an NTSB report...

An aiming point in the grass is fine -- if you're fast. You're in a 150 so it'll never be that fast. ;)

As far as the leak.. isn't that 150 old enough it has the big piano hinge on the cowl where you can open the whole thing just by releasing the latches? Or is it too new for that?

I'd want to look and try to find the source or at least see that there's not oil all over the inside of the engine compartment.

Hell even if it's the new cowl, grab a screwdriver and take it off and look anyway. Grab a helper.

Too many non-owner/renter pilots never see the entire engine compartment, or know what and where things are under there. Stuff under the cowl of most small Cessnas is about as complex as a lawn tractor, but we treat it like it's the big mystery only the Mighty Clerics of A&P-land shall ever see with their own eyes. If mere mortals were to gaze upon belts, hoses, magnetos, and the almighty Engine... God himself would be displeased.

Have 'em help you crack open the cowl and then identify everything while you're in there. It's fun and educational. Look for the source of the oil mess while you have it open.

P.S. you've probably read my "CFI grabbed the yoke" story. I've vowed that the next person who does that loses fingers.

P.S. you've probably read my "CFI grabbed the yoke" story. I've vowed that the next person who does that loses fingers.
I haven't, sounds interesting. Where can I find it so I can read it?

An aiming point in the grass is fine -- if you're fast. You're in a 150 so it'll never be that fast. ;)

As far as the leak.. isn't that 150 old enough it has the big piano hinge on the cowl where you can open the whole thing just by releasing the latches? Or is it too new for that?

I'd want to look and try to find the source or at least see that there's not oil all over the inside of the engine compartment.

Hell even if it's the new cowl, grab a screwdriver and take it off and look anyway. Grab a helper.

Too many non-owner/renter pilots never see the entire engine compartment, or know what and where things are under there. Stuff under the cowl of most small Cessnas is about as complex as a lawn tractor, but we treat it like it's the big mystery only the Mighty Clerics of A&P-land shall ever see with their own eyes. If mere mortals were to gaze upon belts, hoses, magnetos, and the almighty Engine... God himself would be displeased.

Have 'em help you crack open the cowl and then identify everything while you're in there. It's fun and educational. Look for the source of the oil mess while you have it open.

Yes I have the old kind which comes up on a hinge.... No I do not think they'd let a renter take a screwdriver and remove stuff. Guess things are different in CA but they don't have time either on weekends (too busy).

Yes I have the old kind which comes up on a hinge.... No I do not think they'd let a renter take a screwdriver and remove stuff. Guess things are different in CA but they don't have time either on weekends (too busy).

You're PIC.....you can do whatever the hell you want on your preflight.

You're PIC.....you can do whatever the hell you want on your preflight.

Whatever David - taking off an entire Cessna cowling for preflight??? Oh I forgot to mention - the owner and all employees are watching (it is kept in front of the hangar).

Whatever David - taking off an entire Cessna cowling for preflight??? Oh I forgot to mention - the owner and all employees are watching (it is kept in front of the hangar).

If it just takes a couple screws why not? Does yours have the oil access door? I always take a look in mine on a preflight to make sure the cowl is dry.

If it just takes a couple screws why not? Does yours have the oil access door? I always take a look in mine on a preflight to make sure the cowl is dry.

Cessna 150 cowling removal isn't a couple screws. and yes they have a door for the oil checking.

Most Lycoming and Continental engines will throw a quart or two out the breather when filled to capacity. My IO 360 in my RV7 will go 20hrs or so at the 6quart line. Fill it to 7 and it will be back down to 6 in a couple of hours. The Cub's sweet spot is 61/2 quarts the C140 is 3 qts with a 4 qt capacity. Don't ever overfill an aircraft engine. We had a guy in the club flying the Mooney and it started using oil like crazy after he started flying it. The belly was oily but the engine compartment was clean and the plugs were clean. Turned out he would put a qt of oil in every time the dipstick was under 8 and it was blowing it all out the breather. When told not to add any until it was below 6 it went back to using a qt every 20hrs or so.
The oil cap on your 150 is the old style Continental and works like an old style gas cap. It just turns a 1/4 turn to get it on and off. It does have to be TIGHT and yes, pressing down on it and turning at the same time makes it easier to turn. A few drips of oil on an airplane is pretty normal and a little bit of oil can make a big looking spot on the ground.
On the aiming point in the grass in front of the threshold your instructor is teaching how to land on the first few feet of the runway. Think about where you are aiming on the runway now and how far from that point that you actually touch down. Probably 50-100 ft past your aim point if you are right on your airspeed and 3-400ft or more if you are a bit too fast. Most pilots are way too sloppy on approach and landing and can't put an airplane anywhere near a predetermined spot. If you can touchdown within 50ft of your spot every time you are better than the average pilot. When you get it down to 5-10ft your starting to get real good. Don

This means she has taken the oil cap off. I haven't soloed the airplane yet (but will soon now that I'm checked out). I could not get the cap off both times and she told me that was because it was supposed to be put on tightly due to that oil leak thing. She also said I have to push down and then twist. I'll try it this weekend or next weekend, when I fly..

Jeez... Just how big and burly is this CFI ?:dunno::dunno:

I can't picture you not able to unscrew the oil cap after another girl screwed it on.:idea::idea:

Ben.

Not if you want to keep renting, you can't. Many rental operations will not allow you to take a screwdriver to the airplane.

Exactly. David - look - they don't let you do whatever you want as PIC. It is a rental and I'm not a mechanic. I cannot and probably will not take anything apart. There are people there if I need them most days / times.

Back