When does Night qualify for actual IFR?

The problem with your argument is that while some nights are so dark, it is just like flying IFR. By the same token, I've flown at night where the moon was so bright, I could clearly make out terrain features in unlit areas.

Everyone is supposed to follow the FARs, IR and non-IR pilots alike. By that reasoning they SHOULD make night operations restricted to IFR rated pilots, since in some areas it requires instrument skills and non-IR rated pilots with sub-par instrument skills could go up at night over the north woods and kill themselves. I don't buy the argument that because some people will be tempted into doing something illegal if they have a certain skill, that the skill should not be taught until one is ready to legally do that something. Particularly if the skill is one that could save lives if taught properly.

The problem with your argument is that while some nights are so dark, it is just like flying IFR. By the same token, I've flown at night where the moon was so bright, I could clearly make out terrain features in unlit areas.
Why is that a problem with my argument? :confused:

Where did you see that written and attributed to the FAA? My personal gut feeling is that does not reflect official FAA thinking.

As you know, there is a difference in the type of training in the 3hr PPL requirement and the 15-hrs to learn proper flight by reference to instruments. I'm certain you can quote the relevant language faster than anyone.

If it weren't intended to be different, then it would be creditable toward instrument training, but it is not.

As you know, there is a difference in the type of training in the 3hr PPL requirement and the 15-hrs to learn proper flight by reference to instruments. ...
If it weren't intended to be different, then it would be creditable toward instrument training, but it is not.
You need 40 hours, so why isn't it creditable?

dtuuri

You need 40 hours, so why isn't it creditable?

dtuuri
He said "training", and you only need 15 hours of instrument training for the IR-A rating. While the three hours of "flight training in a single-engine airplane on the control and maneuvering of an airplane solely by reference to instruments" required for the PP-A rating does count towards the 40 hours of total instrument time required for the IR-A rating, it does not count towards the 15 hours of "instrument flight training" required for that rating.

Last edited:
I had plenty of hood time, but my instrument scan is sub-par
PPL PTS doesnt address this by design. It is believed that if it does cover proper scanning technique that PPLs will think they can fly in IMC and kill themselves or others and break FARs that IR pilots are reqd to follow.

Whaaat ? If your scan is sub-par, then you didn't get "plenty of hood time", or not plenty enough. Oh- did you mean you got 3 hours? Sometimes it times more.

..aaand most people think the hood time is for the emergency flying into the clouds.
It is not. Never was. It is supposed to be "referencing the instruments for aircraft control" during vfr flight.
Back when it was initiated for PP, the concept was to do a turn by outside reference only, put on a hood, do the same turn on instruments, take the hood off, then do the turn referencing both outside and inside references .

And it works real good.
But Private Pilots couldn't go for an IR right away back then so it was not really seen as the beginning of the IR. like it is now.

Whaaat ? If your scan is sub-par, then you didn't get "plenty of hood time", or not plenty enough. Oh- did you mean you got 3 hours? Sometimes it times more.

..aaand most people think the hood time is for the emergency flying into the clouds.
It is not. Never was. It is supposed to be "referencing the instruments for aircraft control" during vfr flight.
Back when it was initiated for PP, the concept was to do a turn by outside reference only, put on a hood, do the same turn on instruments, take the hood off, then do the turn referencing both outside and inside references .

And it works real good.
But Private Pilots couldn't go for an IR right away back then so it was not really seen as the beginning of the IR. like it is now.
I had never heard of an "instrument scan" until PoA and then read about it in the IFH.

He said "training", and you only need 15 hours of instrument training for the IR-A rating. While the three hours of "flight training in a single-engine airplane on the control and maneuvering of an airplane solely by reference to instruments" required for the PP-A rating does count towards the 40 hours of total instrument time required for the IR-A rating, it does not count towards the 15 hours of "instrument flight training" required for that rating.
Hmmm... well I'd argue, and it looks like we agree, that the three hours for the PPL is still instrument "training", just not allowed toward the 15 needed with a double eye. It's not wasted, was my only point, which is how the post struck me.

dtuuri

Hmmm... well I'd argue, and it looks like we agree, that the three hours for the PPL is still instrument "training", just not allowed toward the 15 needed with a double eye. It's not wasted, was my only point, which is how the post struck me.

dtuuri

Ask Ron Levy how much time he has to spend on re-training (breaking habits) and then we'll talk about wasted time on the 3 hours.

Hmmm... well I'd argue, and it looks like we agree, that the three hours for the PPL is still instrument "training",
We do not agree. Per Flight Standards and the Chief Counsel, it is training time, and it is instrument time, but it is not "instrument flight training" time. It was made that way specifically so a CFI-Airplane with no instrument instructor rating could give all the training required for PP-Airplane.

just not allowed toward the 15 needed with a double eye.
On that we do agree.

It's not wasted, was my only point, which is how the post struck me.
I agree, also, that it is not "wasted" training or instrument time. However, the specific terminology is important for the FAA's purposes.

We do not agree. Per Flight Standards and the Chief Counsel, it is training time, and it is instrument time, but it is not "instrument flight training" time. It was made that way specifically so a CFI-Airplane with no instrument instructor rating could give all the training required for PP-Airplane.

On that we do agree.

I agree, also, that it is not "wasted" training or instrument time. However, the specific terminology is important for the FAA's purposes.
Ok, we mostly agree. :) I would say the terminology isn't as important as you think. The logging rules differentiate between "flight" and "ground" "training" as the "type of training". The "conditions of flight" are where "instrument" time is logged. So, on the day the student receives the three instrument hours from an ordinary CFI (not CFII) it's logged as flight training and instrument time from an authorized instructor. It doesn't lose that status with calendar time, but I'm sure we could find more interesting things to disagree about, like my next post for instance. :)

dtuuri

Ask Ron Levy how much time he has to spend on re-training (breaking habits) and then we'll talk about wasted time on the 3 hours.
In my humble opinion, that's not the case at all. I've always been amazed at how easily student pilots took to flying instruments during the three hours of required instrument time. Maybe I was just exceptionally good at teaching it, :redface:, but I doubt that. I always finished that training and the night requirement before the cross country sign-off. I even had them doing ASR approaches, both gyro and no gyro and DF steers, at night, under the hood. All in just three hours. I've often said you learn instrument flying in three hours, but it takes another 37 hours to learn how to do it in the IFR system. YMMV.

dtuuri

Last edited:
In my humble opinion, that's not the case at all. I've always been amazed at how easily student pilots took to flying instruments during the three hours of required instrument time. Maybe I was just exceptionally good at teaching it, :redface:, but I doubt that. I always finished that training and the night requirement before the cross country sign-off. I even had them doing ASR approaches, both gyro and no gyro and DF steers, at night, under the hood. All in just three hours. I've often said you learn instrument flying in three hours, but it takes another 37 hours to learn how to do it in the IFR system. YMMV.

Agreed. There is certainly a big difference between being able to use instruments to keep the plane right side up, vs. dealing with the complexities of instrument approaches, holds, minimum altitudes, IFR weather, and the rules that go along with all that.

I had never heard of an "instrument scan" until PoA and then read about it in the IFH.
Chapter 3 AFH introduces Integrated Instrument instruction which does not specify a specific "scan". But one of the common errors is insufficient scan.
Scan is also unique to the airplane.
Back before a "six pack" arrangement of the panel was common, instruments were all over the place. Your scan was unique to the airplane panel.
.....wait...what's that? ....what? ....you say 1962 is calling and wants me back?
....OK,..'scuse me guys. I gotta go.

Chapter 3 AFH introduces Integrated Instrument instruction which does not specify a specific "scan". But one of the common errors is insufficient scan.
Scan is also unique to the airplane.
Back before a "six pack" arrangement of the panel was common, instruments were all over the place. Your scan was unique to the airplane panel.
.....wait...what's that? ....what? ....you say 1962 is calling and wants me back?
....OK,..'scuse me guys. I gotta go.

I was not required to even peruse the AFH. My curriculum was spoon fed via 141.

Stealing a march on Ron Levy, who will surely chime in, the General Counsel has ruled that any time that you do not have a visible horizon and are flying by reference to instruments you are in IMC. Log it. IMC does not necessarily require clouds.

Bob Gardner

Bob, even though I've never considered this question, General Counsel's ruling makes sense. If you're looking into a black abyss, it seems to me you can't be in VMC. Thanks for your answer.

Bob, even though I've never considered this question, General Counsel's ruling makes sense. If you're looking into a black abyss, it seems to me you can't be in VMC.
It most certainly can be VMC, but it can also be actual instrument conditions. I can be flying on a clear visibility high overcast night over Kansas with no stars/moon and no horizon and no ground lights and still be able to another airplane 20 miles away so I can avoid running into it. And that's all VMC is about -- the ability to see and avoid other aircraft, and nothing else. VMC has nothing whatsoever about your ability to keep the airplane right side up without looking at the instruments. As noted above, the best example of this was JFK Jr, who was in actual instrument conditions but also as in good VMC.

I had plenty of hood time, but my instrument scan is sub-par
PPL PTS doesnt address this by design. It is believed that if it does cover proper scanning technique that PPLs will think they can fly in IMC and kill themselves or others and break FARs that IR pilots are reqd to follow.

I don't think that's accurate. I was taught proper scan techniques from the get go of my PP hood training, and I believe it's addressed in FAA Aeronautical Knowledge Handbook or whatever they call it. I can't recall ever being discouraged from developing proper instrument scan skills and flew both under the hood and in actual several times during my PP training.

I was not required to even peruse the AFH. My curriculum was spoon fed via 141.

Yep, you had poor quality instruction for a person who was stopping at PP. 141 schools are not geared to recreational fliers who intend to stop with a PP, they are geared toward being AbInitio students headed for a flying job who will finish all their ratings short of ATP in 180 days from start and progress straight through flying daily. That's why they get the 'less hours' option.

The other factor is you were lazy in your training and accepted being spoon fed their curriculum without adding anything to it. I read everything I could get my hands on during my PP training.

Bob, even though I've never considered this question, General Counsel's ruling makes sense. If you're looking into a black abyss, it seems to me you can't be in VMC. Thanks for your answer.

Sure you are, the meteorological condition is not the only thing that affects whether you need to control the plane by reference to the instruments though.

I'd like to know the part of Maryland that doesn't have any ground lights. Even flying over the sticks I have sufficient ground lights to give me a horizon, even on an overcast sky. The only time I've ever even worried about it was a planned trip to the UP, and even then my biggest worry was the lake.

I'd like to know the part of Maryland that doesn't have any ground lights. Even flying over the sticks I have sufficient ground lights to give me a horizon, even on an overcast sky. The only time I've ever even worried about it was a planned trip to the UP, and even then my biggest worry was the lake.
You should try flying out in Garrett County or on the downwind-base to 32 at Ocean City. We lose one in the Atlantic Ocean off the beach at OC every couple of years that way.

You should try flying out in Garrett County or on the downwind-base to 32 at Ocean City. We lose one in the Atlantic Ocean off the beach at OC every couple of years that way.

Over water I am in complete agreement. Black hole all the way. But the parts of Maryland I witnessed were pretty populated, and I would think would have enough lights on the ground to make a halfway decent horizon. Gotta be more light in rural Maryland than southeastern Ohio.

Over water I am in complete agreement. Black hole all the way. But the parts of Maryland I witnessed were pretty populated, and I would think would have enough lights on the ground to make a halfway decent horizon. Gotta be more light in rural Maryland than southeastern Ohio.

The last time I got in an unintended unusual attitude, it was a good VFR night, and there were plenty of lights visible on the ground, but my mind just could not make sense of it until I got on the attitude indicator.

Don't bet your life on it.

It most certainly can be VMC, but it can also be actual instrument conditions. I can be flying on a clear visibility high overcast night over Kansas with no stars/moon and no horizon and no ground lights and still be able to another airplane 20 miles away so I can avoid running into it. And that's all VMC is about -- the ability to see and avoid other aircraft, and nothing else. VMC has nothing whatsoever about your ability to keep the airplane right side up without looking at the instruments. As noted above, the best example of this was JFK Jr, who was in actual instrument conditions but also as in good VMC.

Ron...and look what happened to JFK Jr. Let's look at this scenario: I'm not an instrument rated pilot. I'm on a VFR flightplan. It's 12 midnight. Overcast at 15,000 ft. I flew out of the DFW area (lots of ground lights) toward El Paso. 1 hr. later, no ground lights, no moon, no stars, no horizon, but visibility is unlimited. Am I really in VMC? What can I see? As a practical matter, the buzzword here is "visual." Sure I might see an occasonal aircraft, but can I keep my airplane upright for the next 500 miles? We probably shouldn't be argueing against General Counsel's ruling for fear that it might influence a VFR-only rated pilot to ignore common sense. In this scenario as soon as I flew 100 miles west of DFW, I would be caught totally by surprise that I couldn't see squat. So...there are actually two questions I must ask myself. One legal (do I have to file IFR to continue on...NO), and the other (do I have the experience and is the aircraft equipped to go on 500 more miles without any outside visual reference?). I say this is a trip reserved for IFR only, so this is why I agree wholeheartedly with G.C..

Some points that seem to need clarification:
I'm on a VFR flightplan. It's 12 midnight. Overcast at 15,000 ft. I flew out of the DFW area (lots of ground lights) toward El Paso. 1 hr. later, no ground lights, no moon, no stars, no horizon, but visibility is unlimited. Am I really in VMC?
Yes. You are in VMC. You are further from clouds than the VFR cloud clearances require and the vis is greater than 3 miles (or 5, depending on altitude).
What can I see? As a practical matter, the buzzword here is "visual." Sure I might see an occasonal aircraft, but can I keep my airplane upright for the next 500 miles?
And that's the point for VMC, you can see and avoid other aircraft. VMC does NOT mean that you can control the aircraft by visual reference alone.
We probably shouldn't be argueing against General Counsel's ruling for fear that it might influence a VFR-only rated pilot to ignore common sense.
No one is arguing against the G.C.'s letter. It is perfectly legal for a VFR-only pilot to fly in that scenario, and for many, it is probably perfectly safe. If they are not among those many, then they shouldn't be doing it, and no one should be capable of influencing them into trying it. It requires a level of proficiency at instrument flying that the PPL standards don't require.
In this scenario as soon as I flew 100 miles west of DFW, I would be caught totally by surprise that I couldn't see squat. So...there are actually two questions I must ask myself. One legal (do I have to file IFR to continue on...NO), and the other (do I have the experience and is the aircraft equipped to go on 500 more miles without any outside visual reference?). I say this is a trip reserved for IFR only, so this is why I agree wholeheartedly with G.C..
Two separate questions, whether you need to file IFR, and whether you have the experience to continue without visual reference. The first: you do NOT need to file IFR, you are perfectly legal to continue. The second is entirely between you and your inner voice.

And the G.C. did NOT say that you need to be IFR to continue. The G.C. letter only clarifies under what conditions it is legal to log actual instrument time. That requires flight conditions under which reference to instruments is needed to maintain aircraft control. That is distinct from IMC (instrument meteorological conditions), which means distance from clouds and/or visibility less than those required for VFR flight.

...Am I really in VMC? What can I see? As a practical matter, the buzzword here is "visual."

The M stands for "meteorological." A dark night without lights is not a meteorological condition.

The FAA provides a specific definition for "VMC." FAA terminology does not necessarily have anything to do with practical matters, but it has a lot to do with what's legal.

At night, being in VMC does not preclude simultaneously being in instrument flight conditions.

Ron...and look what happened to JFK Jr. Let's look at this scenario: I'm not an instrument rated pilot. I'm on a VFR flightplan. It's 12 midnight. Overcast at 15,000 ft. I flew out of the DFW area (lots of ground lights) toward El Paso. 1 hr. later, no ground lights, no moon, no stars, no horizon, but visibility is unlimited. Am I really in VMC? What can I see? As a practical matter, the buzzword here is "visual." Sure I might see an occasonal aircraft, but can I keep my airplane upright for the next 500 miles? We probably shouldn't be argueing against General Counsel's ruling for fear that it might influence a VFR-only rated pilot to ignore common sense. In this scenario as soon as I flew 100 miles west of DFW, I would be caught totally by surprise that I couldn't see squat. So...there are actually two questions I must ask myself. One legal (do I have to file IFR to continue on...NO), and the other (do I have the experience and is the aircraft equipped to go on 500 more miles without any outside visual reference?). I say this is a trip reserved for IFR only, so this is why I agree wholeheartedly with G.C..
I can't fault anything you said -- what is legal isn't necessarily safe/smart, and that's why judgment is a pass/fail item on every practical test. But it's important to keep the terminology straight when having these discussions since there are legal ramifications to the use of the various terms, not to mention confusion in trying to explain it all if those terms are misused.

Back