When does a TFR stop being temporary?

Pi1otguy

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Fox McCloud
I was cleaning up and found a Los Angeles section from 2008. The Disney TFR is noted but not drawn. We're closing in on a 20 year old TFR that has never ceased to exist as far as I know.

Does "temporary" mean something different in aviation?

Close to 20 years for the Disney World one southwest of Orlando Executive as well.

In certain scenarios we are taught to never ask a question that we don't know the answer to.

So ... to your question of, "Does "temporary" mean something different in aviation?"

I'm sure you know the answer to your own question. :D

It took years to get the DC area restrictions moved from TFR to SFRA.

This should be an indication of why the new LODAs for flight training are for 4 years....

Oh, and if they try to do a rule making, they will have to open it up for comments.

I looked into this several years ago.

The FAA made a normal TFR for Disney after 9/11. Congress later passed a law to make it permanent. The law doesn't say "no flights over Disneyland/World." It says something along the lines of "TFR 2001/1234 (or whatever) shall be permanent." So we end up with a permanent TFR. There was enough wiggle room for the TFR number to change so it's no longer numbered with a 2001 date.

It'll never open up for comments since it exists by law, not through the Administrative Procedures Act rulemaking process.

Think of it as a government program. As Ronaldus Magnus said, "There is nothing so permanent as a temporary government program."

Well, income taxes were temporary too.

Some day Disney World will close permanently and the TFR will be no more.

It took years to get the DC area restrictions moved from TFR to SFRA.

Yet 5 "TFRs" still pop in my web briefing and I have to scroll past 17+ pages of chit that never changes. I chuckle quietly to myself when I see "end: Permanent" on a Temporary Flight Restriction.

I worry that one day I'll miss a new TFR in the DC area. Can we say "crying wolf"??

I was cleaning up and found a Los Angeles section from 2008. The Disney TFR is noted but not drawn. We're closing in on a 20 year old TFR that has never ceased to exist as far as I know.

Does "temporary" mean something different in aviation?

You dare ask such a question

92dc992abda414c3d2fcb83104e14657.jpg

iirc, initially the rate was 3% … so, sure, the initial rate was temporary. ;-)

The first income tax was temporary and was 3% of income over $800. It was used to fund the Civil war, enacted 1861 and repealed 1872. If someone from that era were still alive I am sure that still be bitching about it.

Back