When do you start planning for OSH '14?

FlylikeaGirl

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Tiffany
Went for the first time this year and L_O_V_E_D it (see Darthnomster's newbie post).

When do you start planning for OSH 2014? I think we may be camping at Scholler again next year.

Tiffany

Start planning to go back the day you leave

Went for the first time this year and L_O_V_E_D it (see Darthnomster's newbie post).

When do you start planning for OSH 2014? I think we may be camping at Scholler again next year.

Tiffany

Tiff, I must say I love your "Fly like a Girl" ID. My wife "Fought Like a Girl" and won! :yes: :D

Now, if we can just get a certain female pilot name Kim to see the light about OSH. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I just have to figure out how much time to spend if I go next year. Might only go for a day as I have a mission in mind.

Every pilot needs to do OSH but I am not the type that needs to go every year.

I just started to think about it because it was time the renew the storage locker up there that me and few buddies keep all our tents in (because I get 13 months on the annual contract the renewal date has been creeping forward as the years go by).

I book dorm, hotel and car for next year as soon as I get home in August.

Tiff, I must say I love your "Fly like a Girl" ID. My wife "Fought Like a Girl" and won! :yes: :D

Now, if we can just get a certain female pilot name Kim to see the light about OSH. :rolleyes:

Good for your wife-- how inspiring!

I don't know who Kim is but I absolutely loved it and can't wait to go again. :) This girl highly recommends! I will say that we camped and so luxury is not really the key word there (sink sprayer showers, anyone?), but I guess if you book early enough you can get a hotel.

I just have to figure out how much time to spend if I go next year. Might only go for a day as I have a mission in mind.

Every pilot needs to do OSH but I am not the type that needs to go every year.

Hi, Duncan. Are you at Wright Brothers with the rest of the BAA folks?

If you happen to visit OSH, even for a day, call us! We'd love to catch up!

Tiffany

I don't know who Kim is but I absolutely loved it and can't wait to go again. :) This girl highly recommends! I will say that we camped and so luxury is not really the key word there (sink sprayer showers, anyone?), but I guess if you book early enough you can get a hotel.

Another option is renting a room from a local. Usually within biking distance. Hot private showers, internet, laundry, usually bfast for about $100 a night for 2 people. Can go much higher.

Could rent a whole house and sublet the rooms and maybe break even?

Another option is renting a room from a local. Usually within biking distance. Hot private showers, internet, laundry, usually bfast for about $100 a night for 2 people. Can go much higher.

Could rent a whole house and sublet the rooms and maybe break even?

We just joined a flying club that rents a house every year, so that is an option, too, but there is definitely something about camping there in the midst of thousands of other aviation enthusiasts that is so immersive. We had the BEST camping neighbor! Made us dinner all the time. haha
:D

We camp, so the planning is usually done maybe a week or so before leaving.

There is nothing at all like camping with your airplane in the center of it all. I'd park back in the Vintage section but I really need access to off site restaurants. Osh is my vacation every year. It just can't be beat, especially for the money.

We just joined a flying club that rents a house every year, so that is an option, too, but there is definitely something about camping there in the midst of thousands of other aviation enthusiasts that is so immersive. We had the BEST camping neighbor! Made us dinner all the time. haha
:D

You two have the OSH spirit! :cheers:

Now, if you volunteer a certain number of hours you get to camp free and get in free all week. ;) Look up EAA Oshkosh volunteers for more details. It is a very rewarding thing to do. I'm a roving volunteer filling in here and there. They are constantly looking for volunteers. I've been on the flight line, driving shuttles, working in the emergency aircraft repair facility, delivering water, welding and fabricating parts. Might even give a few seminars next year and VFR cross country. I have a ball. Get involved, you will too. :D

Several of my buddies get to OSH 2 weeks before it opens. They actually get in line and wait for the opening day when you can stake out your camping areas. They get there the night before and party all night waiting for the gates to open. No I am not kidding. :lol:

Ive been going to Airventure since Rockford, IL was where they held it back in the 60s. I was 12 or so. :D. That makes me old! :mad:

Last edited:

Or have a friend with a room and use their shower...;)

You two have the OSH spirit! :cheers:

Now, if you volunteer a certain number of hours you get to camp free and get in free all week. ;) Look up EAA Oshkosh volunteers for more details. It is a very rewarding thing to do. I'm a roving volunteer filling in here and there. They are constantly looking for volunteers. I've been on the flight line, driving shuttles, working in the emergency aircraft repair facility, delivering water, welding and fabricating parts. Might even give a few seminars next year and VFR cross country. I have a ball. Get involved, you will too. :D

Several of my buddies get to OSH 2 weeks before it opens. They actually get in line and wait for the opening day when you can stake out your camping areas. They get there the night before and party all night waiting for the gates to open. No I am not kidding. :lol:

Ive been going to Airventure since Rockford, IL was where they held it back in the 60s. I was 12 or so. :D. That makes me old! :mad:

1. I think I will look that up! Volunteering sounds fun.
2. Unfortunately, I don't have that much vacation time. lol Oh and you aren't old, you're just "experienced"

Oh and I just remembered the ice cream place! Where is the drooling icon when you need it.

You guys shower at Osh? I just sprinkle on a little 100LL every morning and roll from there.

We started planning on Sunday while breaking down the campsite in the north forty July 13

http://www.iflylikeagirl.com/my-story/

I've already booked the time off and am still on the fence about flying or driving. I'm planning a drive to the west coast and back in 2014, and may make OSH part of the trip.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

First off I am still very "wet behind the ears" as I just finish my private certificate a little over a month ago.

It looks like family commitments in Iowa and Nebraska are lining up so we will be relatively in the area for Airventure this year. Sadly we would have to fly up on Sunday and leave on Tuesday (wedding in IA on Saturday and family vacation in MN starting Tuesday). It looks like Oshkosh requires a three day stay so does anyone have any suggestions on other possibilities?

We would probably have other people driving up to meet us (the 172 we will be using can only hold so much). This is all obviously pending good weather.

I've already booked the time off and am still on the fence about flying or driving. I'm planning a drive to the west coast and back in 2014, and may make OSH part of the trip.

Taking the Miata to the left coast eh? Remember to put the top up when it rains.

I start planning in mid June. Reserve a rental car in Chicago and hotel room in Sheboygan - both at normal rates because they're just far enough away from the ruckus. Fly into Chicago for free because I'm an airline employee. Even if Avgas were .20 cents a gallon it's tough to beat free.

Back