When do the nerves stop?

I'm only at 92 hours, fly 1 hr per week.

Not sure if it'll help but when I get anxious or nervous I just tell myself "Remember your training". It seems to calm me down.

Not sure if it'll help but when I get anxious or nervous I just tell myself "Remember your training". It seems to calm me down.

Wasn't' that what the guy said on the dropship in Starship Troopers? I think that was just before everybody got torn limb from limb by giant bugs.

When do they START?

I've almost died enough times from other things that being worried about flying doesn't even register.

When do they START?

I've almost died enough times from other things that being worried about flying doesn't even register.
:rofl: This is the answer here. You have people like Ed who never worry and other people who always worry. It not only depends on someone's experience but on their personality. Personally I think it's good to be somewhere in-between the two extremes. :D

Wasn't' that what the guy said on the dropship in Starship Troopers? I think that was just before everybody got torn limb from limb by giant bugs.

It's been dry down here in Houston lately so the big bugs aren't so bad yet. But when August rolls around I'll start worrying. :D

Understanding and flying your "skill set" is one of the most elusive questions among non-professional (and some pro) pilots.
After getting signed off by the PE for my instrument rating two and a half decades ago at Fort Worth Meacham, it started to rain at dusk and my PE asked me what I was going to do. "I'm going to go over there an check into that hotel," was my reply. "No you're not," he said emphatically. He took me by the hand, walked me to FSS and announced, "This young man wants to file an IFR flight plan." He assured me I had flown all the approaches to perfection and had a good command of the craft (172). Engulfed in darkness and a driving rain, I taxied past five or six corporate jets, read back my clearance and took the runway as instructed. Despite being lost and forgotten by ATC on my first hard IFR flight, I nailed the flight, had a ball, and stepped out at my destination with a sense of confidence I had never experienced. Still, after 38 years of flying (including Commercial and CFI) I make it a point to fly within my "skill set" recognizing we all have limitations, and the more we test them, the more they test us. (www.stanstamper.com)

The nerves stop when you quit paying attention.

Back