When did you 1st realize you could become a pilot?

Bill

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
This page intentionally left blank
I remember my first thoughts of being a pilot.

I was a kid (maybe 6 yrs old?) watching Room 222, and on one episode, I think it was the principal who took a kid out for a flight in a Cessna. Until then, I didn't know "normal" (if you want to call us normal :confused: ) people could become pilots. That memory has never faded.

You?

Bill Jennings said:

I was a kid (maybe 6 yrs old?) watching Room 222, and on one episode, I think it was the principal who took a kid out for a flight in a Cessna. Until then, I didn't know "normal" (if you want to call us normal :confused: ) people could become pilots. That memory has never faded.

You?

I grew up in a flying family. What do you mean everyone doesn't learn to fly? Every family has at least one airplane don't they? Right? Right? Sure they do. It's like learning to swim. Everyone does it.

You asked... :D

Bill Jennings said:

You?

Oh, let's see. I was 11 years old. Had pictures of WWI dogfights all over my bedroom walls and was reading about the Red Baron, dreaming of fighting him, or being a cropduster if I couldn't find the Red Baron.

About five years old and talking to my grandfather about flying in WW1. I asked my dad if he was a pilot too and could not understand why he wasn't. I thought everyone should be a pilot and I wanted to be one.

I remember the day clearly. I was working for a local glass company and I had to go to the Hilton hotel to do some work. As i was walking into the lobby a shuttle pulls up and two pilots step out, each one having two beautiful stewardess around each arm. proudly walking into the hotel..It was at that moment I thought..Yea..that's a good job.

When I was a little girl my mom had a friend, Norma, who flew. She'd come up from Tampa to Jacksonville to see us. We'd go out to Herlong Field to pick her up and I remember thinking how COOL it was that a girl could fly an airplane. It never occurred to me that *I* could be so lucky.

Fast forward to 1997 when I soloed. Why did I let so many years go by?

I have the vase that's in this photo. It will hold my cremated remains after I die.

Carol said:

I think you're making up for lost time now. :)

Carol said:
I have the vase that's in this photo. It will hold my cremated remains after I die.

Beautiful vase. Do you have a color photo of it?

I'm going for an aerial burial, like some of my family members; I want to be set free in the fresh air. :)

Diana said:
I think you're making up for lost time now. :)

I am doing my best!

Beautiful vase. Do you have a color photo of it?

Not at the moment. It's in my living room. I'll get around to making a picture one day and send it to you. It's black with some kind of streaking in it. Nothing expensive, I am sure. But it reminds me of her.

I'm going for an aerial burial, like some of my family members; I want to be set free in the fresh air. :)

I don't really care what is done with my ashes. It's up to whomever survives me. The only standing rule is that *if* there is any kind of memorial service it must involve alcohol and the only stories told about my flying have to be positive even if they are made up :)

Carol said:
The only standing rule is that *if* there is any kind of memorial service it must involve alcohol and the only stories told about my flying have to be positive even if they are made up :)

LOL! Sounds like a good plan! I think I'll request Cajun music and dancing for mine. I wonder if you can do the two-step in the grass; maybe barefoot. :)

Diana said:
LOL! Sounds like a good plan! I think I'll request Cajun music and dancing for mine. I wonder if you can do the two-step in the grass; maybe barefoot. :)

Enough alcohol and I would imagine we could break dance in the grass :D

I realized that I could become a pilot when -- I'm not sure. I always knew I could. My uncle flew bombers in WWII. My father flew until just recently. He was a Army Air Corps cadet when WWII ended. He loved flying and I had the bug from an early age. Flying is in the family genes on both sides. Two of my brothers-in-law are pilots. One is still active and flies out of Herlong in Jacksonville, FL.

Jim

Last edited:
Carol said:

I let so many years go by because I kept listening to everybody who told me that I was too poor to fly, and should quit dreaming.

I first realized I could actually become a pilot during a conversation with my wife when we were discussing what our options were to get trained for a job that could get us out of the poverty we were in. We were outside the trailer smoking, and a plane flew overhead. I offhandedly mentioned that all my life I wanted to be pilot, and her response was "Well, why aren't you one?" Good question, with only one acceptable answer :)

Last edited:
I was nine. My uncle asked my cousin and I if we wanted to go the the store with him to pick up some things. Sure! Uncle John had a Caddy, and we could play with the power windows on the way. We were driving and driving, past several grocery stores. We ended up at Cape May Airport, WWD. He want into the FBO and a little while later came out with the key to a Cherokee 140. Cool, let's go flying! We had a nice tour of South Jersey along the beach and over the Delaware Bay. From then on I was hooked and WWD has always been a special place to me.

For me it was going down to National Airport (R.I.P. General Aviation) and watching the planes from the open-air observation deck. At the time, there was still a bunch of GA based there.

And visiting Toys-R-Us at Bailey's Crossroads and watching the small planes go in and out of Washington-Virginia airport (R.I.P.). http://www.airfields-freeman.com/VA/Airfields_VA_Fairfax_NE.htm#washingtonvirginia

I was about 6 years old.

Took my first flying lesson 15 years later at Poughkeepsie Airport in New York. The CFI got chewed out by the tower for making a 180-taxi-back on the active runway. It took me another 10+ years to find the time to actually go get the training and my license.

I'm not sure if actually occured to me that I COULDN'T be a pilot. It just took a while to learn that it wasn't something only the 'rich' did. I could take it a step at a time, paying as I went along.

When I was born!!! That is all I have ever wanted to do. My favorite place to go when I was little (so my mom says) was the airport. My first 2 syllable word was airplane. And now I am getting paid to do it!!!!

I was around 4 when I watched the birds fly over the farm and do stunts. I also watched soaring birds that same year with my Uncle Harry who flew Corsairs in the Pacific during the Big one and he told me that he learned from watching the birds. So I learned, I was not wealthy, by being the airport kid at the local gras strip to earn my wings.I loved it so much that I never went home until dark. I am always thankful to haved spent an afternoon with my uncle who told me to have dreams to fly and they will come true.

John

citationxjl said:
My first 2 syllable word was airplane.

According to my parents, my baby-word for "helicopter" was "a-bi-ga-boo". I still call them that. (One of these days I'll say it over the radio by mistake...)

When I announced to my mom that I was taking flying lessons, her response was, "Well, I suppose that's to be expected." It's just one of those innate things. Mom knew.

--Kath

I was over 50. I climbed out after my first ride in a small plane and said to the pilot, "Am I too old to learn how to fly? Tell me if I'm crazy." And he said, "No, you can learn at any age." That was the moment that I first realized I could. A light bulb experience.

As a kid I wanted to be an astronaut, which I didn't connect with pilot. I wanted to go to Mars. But girls couldn't, and I was raised in an anti-flying family so never really considered any career or hobby that involved more risk than climbing up on a stepladder. It's something I regret now.

I was really into Astroboy. That should have been a hint.

I was 8 years old and my grandfather paid his friend to take me for a ride in a Cherokee 180 in Bentonville Arkansas. I told him then that was what I was going to do.

Brent

Civil Air Patrol in 1995. Was 12 and we had a Wing event, found out that there was a solo encampment that you could go to, and I was determined to get to go, but it was so many years off, eventually school took my attention. Now 10 years later I'm in college and ready to get in the air again. Oh how I long for it.

I always have wanted to. One ride with Grandpa and i knew thats what i wanted. I told him i wanted to learn and we got real serious about it. He had as much fun as i did so it only took me about 6 months to get my private. I knew i would like it,but had no idea i would be this obsessed, hah it truly is amazing.

Carol said:

Do you have a plug for the top? So if it tips over you won't
fall out? ;-)

RogerT said:
Do you have a plug for the top? So if it tips over you won't
fall out? ;-)

No, but I am sure they can configure something. But then that's not really my problem, is it? HAHA, I might end up residing for eternity in a vacuum cleaner bag! :D

4 years old, 5 miles from airport center NAS South Weymouth. Spent the next 30 years looking at the sky and making airplane noises. All it took was enough time and a good paying job to make it happen.

Although my dad was a pilot, he stopped flying before I was born. But he then went to work for United Airlines (as an engineer) and so we used to fly all over the place. I was always interested in his work. Then I became a geologist and started working in Alaska, where I had to fly in small planes and helicopters to get anywhere.

Despite all that, it never occurred to me that I could become a pilot until I was 39 years old and happened to meet and start talking to a guy who was a flight instructor. He gave me a coupon for an intro flight. It sat on my desk at work for a month, and finally I said to myself "yeah! I'm going to do this!"

That flight literally changed my life. I had never thought about flying, and from that day forward, it seems like I never stopped thinking about flying.

I recently met a young man who wanted a dramatic setting to propose to his fiance. He thought about it and discussed it with his friends and decided to do it on Maui, where you can take a helicopter ride to a secluded waterfall. When the moment came, she refused to get on the helicopter, and he had to frantically come up with a Plan B. I was talking about this story to one of my colleagues, and thinking that, gosh, he doesn't know her well enough to marry her if he doesn't even know she won't get on a helicopter! My colleague just looked at me and asked how on earth would normal people (i.e., non-flying people) ever find out? It made me realize just how aviation conscious I've become. Before I learned to fly, I'm sure I wouldn't have thought that's something you should automatically know about a future mate!

Judy

In second grade I read a biography of Ivan C. Kincheloe, an Air Force test pilot of the same era as Yeager. (Dad was stationed at Kincheloe AFB then) I decided I was going to be a test pilot. 2 years later I got glasses so the test pilot job was out. But after a little thought, I figured being a bush pilot would be pretty cool. Life intervened , until 35 years later I got my license. I taxied around with lumber strapped to my struts in the Yukon territories once. Does that qualify as being a bush pilot? :D

Barb

Similar to Judy's experience, my parents both flew before I was born, but for the most part, not after. They both got back into flying after I left home for the last time but I never flew with either of them until after I got my license.

I had taught myself to fly in kites and hang gliders behind a boat when I was 15, but even then it didn't occur to me that I could learn to fly an actual airplane.

One day after I got my first fulltime job I stopped in at a Cessna Pilot Center on the local field and took a demo ride. I signed up for lessons that day.

I was an airport kid. My first flight was in the right seat of Mr. William D. Owen's C172 at PWK in 1968. I was forever hooked from that moment forth.

Back